Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: On the subject of Asprin  (Read 5355 times)

latefortysomething

On the subject of Asprin
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:52 AM »

Was interesting to read further information about research into asprin, however asprin has always been known for it's anti-inflammatory action, and I am not suprised in a way that it has been suggested that a daily dose of asprin can lower risk of bowel cancer.  Inflammation is not good for obvious reasons, and seems to me that inflammation can cause so many conditions.
Only problem with asprin that it can cause stomach problems, not recommended for those with stomach ulcers.  Stomach ulcers have also been linked to cancer.

Herbal substitute
I often think that herbal medicine etc is over looked, and though not a herbalist myself I have taken a few herbal/plant remedies to help me with various ailments. 1 such plant that receives little press is licorice, it definelty helps with inflammation.  I took this as a tea for 8 months and the effects of taking just the tea were amazing;

Acne rosacea lessened considerably skin was good very clear, not ruddy complexion.
Aches and pains - arithitic in nature gone
Hair thickened up and stopped shedding.
Thyroid problem disappeared.
Most noticeably IBS symptoms vanished along with bloating.
No more painful endometrial pain.

I could list other things, here too.

I am not exagerating the improvements, it stupidly took me some 5 months to realise what was helping as silly as it may seem.

I had to stop taking the tea as my blood sugar levels fluctuated considerably, and apparently licorice is not recommended for those with problems such as diabetes(, but I do have PCOS), high blood pressure. 

Within 3 weeks of stopping the tea I developed a huge cyst in my right breast, that's all it was, and when the consultant examined me I suggested that my stopping my licorice tea was some how relevant, he aggreed, he knew about the benefits of licorice.

Also acne, IBS, bloating and thryoid/hair loss problems all returned within about 1 month.  The acne returned with a vengeance it was awful. I simply could not believe it.  I had to take antibiotics for the acne.

I still can not believe how powerful licorice is, it has an anti-inflammatory action, soothing stomach(inflammatory bowel conditions, balancing hormones-helping adrenals, lowering serum testosterone levels (all connected) and possiby helping with hair loss.  Also helps in soothing a sore throat.

I am wrtiting this as I would like to share my experience with herbal remedies.  I just wonder why more research has not been done into using licorice to help with inflammation, just curious.  I came across one doctor who agreed with me re the benefits.   

Also on a final note just want to say that the herb crampbark is wonderful for pain, brilliant for period/endometrial type pain and also helps with IBS.  Cramp Bark is an aspirin-like compound.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/herbal-remedies/cramp-bark-herbal-remedies.htm

Please see link.

I hope this helps someone else!

LFS 

Firewalker50

Re: On the subject of Asprin
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »

Hello LFS.  Thanks for that post.   I am going to look up more about the licorice tea and if no contra indications for me, I will go ahead.

I am curious as to why the doctor thought the breast cyst was linked to the tea?  Did he think it caused it?  Or was it preventing it and then it grew more when you stopped?

I really enjoy licorice and drink Fennel tea so it should be easy for me to take.  Thanks again for the post.

Fx

catweazle7

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »

Very interesting LFS! I might give this a try.
Which licorice tea would you recommend? Does it taste like licorice? How much did you drink each day? ???

Catweazle x
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bette

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »

I know that licorice is meant to be good for nausia but I'm afraid that I can't stand the taste!  :sick02:
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

latefortysomething

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »

Morning ladies,

Just to start by saying that I have found that the company Clipper do the best licorice tea, one small bag a night. It does take a few months, maybe less to see results.
I started drinking the tea because I love the taste of licorice which is strange, hence my discovery.  Licorice is like marmite, you either love it or hate it!

Sorry for confusion, but after stopping the licorice tea (less than a month) I developed the cyst.  The licorice tea had an anti-inflammatory action, so for some reason after stopping the cyst developed...I can't think that this would purely be a coincidence, neither did the doctor.  Something caused that cyst to develop and rapidly too. My guess is hormone oestrogen.
Licorice encourages progesterone levels in favour of oestrogen.

Hope this helps,  I just wish I could have remained drinking this stuff, really do..  painful stomach today, usual acne...argh who would be female!

All the best ladies!
LFS

Firewalker50

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »

Thanks LFS.  I had identified Clipper and wondered if it suited.  It will be interesting if it encourages progesterone levels instead of oestrogen.  I have mirena and nothing else.

Worth a try to see if the anti-inflamm helps with fibromyalgia aches and pains and low thyroid (nopt enough to need thyroxine).

I can always stop it again!

Fx

latefortysomething

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »

Hi Firewalker,

Extremely interesting because low thyroid and fibromyalgia could all be related to oestrogen or excess - thyroid function can become impaired due to excessive oestrogen. Progesterone on the other hand helps with thyroid function. (mind you progestins such as ones used in mirena make me wonder). 

I was chatting to one lady who suffered breast cancer and sadly had to have a breast removed.  She was younger than me.  She told me she had been on oestrogen replacement and then developed thyroid problems, none of which surprised me.  I know not all women will have thryoid problems , but i just wonder about this.  Also wonder about the implications of an underactive thyroid in relation to everything else, mind boggles here.

I think it's important for obvious reasons that hormones are balanced (goes without saying)...too much oestrogen and then again too much progesterone, it is a fine balancing act and during peri stage of our lives it's never easy.
But you would question doctors giving oestroegn and then having to give  thyroid medication when symptoms of an underacive thyroid appear.

Just intrigued that you have mirena coil do you find this helpful?

Well I am certainly no expert, but my little accidental experiment with licorice certainly made me think.   Sadly can't take oestrogen, but find progesterone helps....mm... oh well....

All the best
LFS

Firewalker50

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »

Hi LFS

I always wondered about oestrogen dominance in my case.  I know some people do not give this theory much credence.

Low thyroid has bothered me for some years.  Not shown up in standard GP testing, but always shows up with kinesiology or reflexology or other therapies and I present some of the symptoms.  My whole glandular system is compromised in some way after having glandular fever when I was 12 so I will take some homeopathy treatments now and again if something seems to be low. 

Perhaps I have been oestrogen domant all my life since I had a huge fibroid removed at 28 and thought I would need a hysterectomy?  fortunately not, and I went on to have my daughter.

I was post menopausal around 52 (last period 2 years) before I tried HRT.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia which I believe was a cumulation of things over several years.
Monthly uncontrollable rages, flushes, sweats and not sleeping which did not help the FM.
Started HRT plus physical/chiro therapies.
2 types of conti HRT brought on bleeds which made me wonder if I had too much oestrogen.
Doctor referred me to gynae for scan/camera hysteroscopy.
Stopped the HRT after a year in prep for operation.
Had D&C, polyp removed and mirena with operative hysteroscopy - 12 August
I did not add in oestrogen at that point.  Wanted to see the results of op and mirena.
I have felt good since...  Very slight flushes, much more balanced mood than for years, morning tiredness, a bit of aching and some very slight fibre pains in arms but overall soooo much improvement or reduction in severity of symptoms...... so far.

I have noticed some slight stinging/dryness when making love but not sure if that is intermittent.

I realise that the Mirena gives progestin rather than progesterone.  I had one some years ago and other than gaining weight it seemed to suit me for 4 years.   I don't fancy asking for it to be taken out so soon when I don't have any adverse reactions so far.  Doctor is quite good with me so don't want her to switch off to me if i keep changing my mind.   I may have to add in oestrogen at some point of any symptoms get worse.

I have had fibrocystic breasts for years so would not like to be exacerbating that.

So your idea of licorice tea was attractive to me in managing any aches and pains.   From what you say, it may of course affect the balance of progesterone so would need to be aware of that and I am not sure how that would manifest itself.  Any thoughts on that?

Given the problems many of the women on here have, I feel rather lucky arriving where I am at this point.

Thanks for posting about the Tea. 

I am really new to the HRT journey, so this website and the members have been fantastic in helping me understand a bit more and highlighting some of the options and problems available to me.

Fx

Firewalker50

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »

Hi S

Like you, my fibro did improve with HRT and together with the chiro
it is really so much better.  I am really very pleased with that.

I was not asked to stop the HRT, however, after the gynae appointment and scan& camera hysteroscopy he did suspect it may be the HRT causing the bleed and suggested the mirena fitted at same time as D&C etc, since he felt it would affect me less than some of the other prog.  (I knew previously I had no issues with mirena).   Since I knew a mirena was going to be fitted and I was bleeding so did not see any point in continuing the HRT so  I stopped it for the 2 weeks waiting for the operation.  It just made sense for me to do it that way.   

Hope that makes sense.

At one point I wondered if oestrogen was stored in the lining of the womb and my condition improved after the D&C (I posted on it at the time).  It was just a thought.

Having read the recent postings about vaginal oestrogen, that is definitely something I will consider and it may make complete sense to do that if the mirena prog is working okay for me.   However, it is early days and I want to make sure that the other symptoms do not come back the longer I am off the conti HRT.

It was a year or so ago I read about oestrogen dominant and it seemed to make sense, however, I know now how delicate the balance of oestrogen, progesterone, progestins are, so taking it a bit at a time and monitoring.

I hope you get your hysteroscopy soon and all is good  :).  If I remember correctly you and I went onto conti around the same time and both of us have been bleeding on it.  Will be interested to hear what view your gynae has and how you get on.

Fx

Firewalker50

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »

Apologies from me too taking off topic from Aspirin.  I did get some licorice tea so starting that this week to try it out.

Hi Susan

My brain also tells me I should be able to analyse and work it out, however, there are so many different formats of HRT, methods of delivery, manufacturers. 

I bled with both Evorel and Femseven conti patches - although after a few months.  Femseven was heavy for me.   I always wondered if the patches were unreliable in different weather or when wet, especially since they came off and I stuck them back on ...  The manufacturer said to use a new one but I was never confident that the balance of the hormones was right on that.

I genuinely don't know if it is too much oestrogen and too much prog that causes the bleed, or too much oes and not enough prog.  My doctor said not enough prog (when I cut my patch in half -  ;D).

I still don't know what caused the bleeding other than I needed the op in August.  Gynae said he felt it was the HRT and mirena should help with that.  (I know mirena has conflicting stories).

Don't know that it is your brain that can't go far enough - more like you are dealing with so many variations of every factor and are at early stages with HRT (in relative years terms).

I say bring in Star Ship Enterprise Doctors who assess you with their hand held stick and then zap you and you are fixed in a moment!   ;) :D

Fx