Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Pre-diabetic diet  (Read 9983 times)

littleminnie

Re: Pre-diabetic diet
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »

I agree Taz, OH isn’t on any medication and he has it.   He never used to have it.   Until you look into it you don’t realise how much sugar is in stuff.   Cakes and milkshakes and chocolate  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2023, 07:57:55 AM »

Tnx. Taz.  Hadn't thought of that angle and yep, have had a sweet tooth for ever.

For over 20 years my cholesterol was 7.  Everything else was within normal limits: weight, exercise [thought less now], diet.  So GP didn't worry.  Another GP freaked at the 7  :o

I discussed this at my annual optician appt last week and there is no evidence of diabetes on my scans.  I pay for the lot ........

Blood test this morning. 

Penguin

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »

Good luck! Defo ask if you can have a period of months to address with diet before going on meds if you can, although I hope your numbers are okay and don't need to!

Saw the hols bump BTW and then lost it when I refreshed the page, but know its the llama one now, I'd seen that when looking but hadn't realised it was thar one. Lol we'll be home before I post 🤣

Penguin

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2023, 08:18:14 AM »

I had a good Google last night and am going to really clean up my act with sugar when we get home, then ask for a test in a few months time when I've given it a go so thanks all for bringing this to my attention. I'm very much a believer of lowering risk wherever possible x

Taz2

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2023, 10:07:21 AM »

Good news on the eye exam CLKD. Don't forget you have at least five years to get the levels under control before type 2 develops so fingers crossed for your blood test.

Penguin. It's alarming isn't it when you realise how much sugar is in stuff!

Taz x

Penguin

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2023, 10:16:31 AM »

It certainly is, and I've since read about the genetic risk for Type 2 as well as Type 1 so defo need to take more care than I have been doing. I read both Mediterranean diet and DASH diet are good for reducing risk, the latter also for high blood pressure, and I need to lose a bit of weight since starting hrt at beginning of the year so will pick one of those to follow a bit more closely.

Lol I thought I wasn't overweight as last year I was worried about my thighs not meeting (I'd lost a lot due to anxiety, and the weight loss made me even more anxious ) but this year my thighs are definitely meeting to the point they are chafing 🙈

CLKD something else I've learnt from this forum, I had no idea diabetes could be seen on eye exam, is it from the tests they do before the actual vision test? Glad yours are okay!

Taz2

AngelaH

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2023, 11:04:43 AM »

I haven't altered my diet.  So it's the medication  >:(

Using statins increases blood sugar because statin use can stop your body's insulin from doing its job properly, so from my point of view it effects insulin directly, this is why you need to help your insulin, not to give too much job to do by reducing sugar intake.

AngelaH

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2023, 11:26:18 AM »

High cholesterol can cause diabetes
Taz x
They can come together from eating too much cakes and other unhealthy foods which are high in both: sugar and fats. This is why. But I don’t think they cause each other.

CLKD

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »

tnx Taz.  Which fruits has OH given up? 

AngelaH

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2023, 11:52:06 AM »

For over 20 years my cholesterol was 7.  Everything else was within normal limits: weight, exercise [thought less now], diet.  So GP didn't worry.  Another GP freaked at the 7  :o
You need to look at your total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratio as well. I just talk to my GP about how my HRT going and suddenly she asked me what I would like for my high cholesterol, probably I need to be prescribed something? I said that a year ago I had cholesterol 5.2, but I was told because my ratio was so good and level of good cholesterol was too high in compère with level of bad cholesterol, it meant I was perfectly fine. So GP said sorry I didn’t look at your ratio, it looks fine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 12:05:48 PM by AngelaH »

Taz2

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2023, 01:05:55 PM »

tnx Taz.  Which fruits has OH given up?

He's tried to follow the advice re sugar intake and mango and pomegranate didn't come out too well sugar wise though obviously you still benefit from the vitamins. He's cut back a bit on cherries too. His main change is, of course, carbohydrates so he's swapped to low GI bread but only two slices a day. No potatoes or pasta, no sugary cereals and obviously cake is out too. He got the advice from the free NHS app which you should have been referred to if you are pre diabetic. He has daily updates etc. You probably only need to tweak things a bit as you are not overweight. He had to control the sugar as well as lose weight.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »

:thankyou:

I don't eat pomegranate, am not allowed grapefruit due to statins  :-\ - DH eats more fruits than I do including dried mango, apricots ....... we are currently picking rasp/Logan/tay berries - strawberries could have done with more rain so short season for those.  Peas/beans coming on  8) :-*.  I have muesli each morning which is filling but mayB necessary to give up.  I can't eat eggs unless in cake which I have given up due to bloating  :-\

DH cooks bread but I do have white toast for lunch sometimes.  Eating more olives 'cos I can't decide whether I do/not like them  ;D.  tomatoes are iffy - can be too watery or 'green'; bananas help my restless leg syndrome so would be reluctant to give those up. 

Most meals are cooked from fresh .... by my in-house Chef  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2023, 09:25:11 AM »

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry !

Apparently; according to the nurse last night; my last blood test results didn't flag 'pre-diabetes'.  But we weren't told - DH attends the appts. in case I miss any details.

Neither could she find on my records the blood test that showed I was low in VitD - when my GP prescribed tablets.  She scrolled back until 2017 so I need to have a lookC on here to remind myself of when  ::)

So: up2date news  :D - the blood test 2 times ago showed low kidney function so it was repeated.  It's still slightly lower than 'the range' so another will be taken in late Sept., along with a urine test which can show protein = kidneys not functioning correctly.  However, unless function goes down really low, it isn't treated  ::).  When we asked about causation, i.e. whether statins are the cause, we were told that it could be medication, or age ........ tnx for that  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]