Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: tsh  (Read 6072 times)

clio

tsh
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »

I have a tsh reading of 0.77 having been on 25mcg for 2 months.  If I upped my mcg to 50 would the tsh go up or down??

Clio

CLKD

Re: tsh
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »

Can you explain to a nimby what 'tsh' stands for - thanks!  ;)
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »

I have posted on all things meno about thryoid - was an advisor for thyroid charity. 

A TSH ( thyroid stimulatin hormone) results of 0.77 is totally normal the normal range for most labs is 0.1-6 but the nearer you are to either end the more you are heading for over or under.

Underactive is 6 and above
Overactive is 0.1 and below

Very confusing as it seems to work backwards!

If you take more thyroxine then at the dose you mention you would very quickly be overdosing on thyroxine which can be dangerous.

Why do you want to increase your dose as you are already at the overacive end of normal range??

clio

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

I just don't get it, I have a count of 9.7 and a tsh of 0.77, if I came off medication would the tsh go up or down??

Clio

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

Totally agree with Larky. Your 9.7 could refer to your free T4 in your blood and your 0.7 is your tsh.  Both these results are in the normal range.  If you stop your thyroxine your tsh will go up and your free T4 will go down and if you increase your thyroxine your tsh will go down and your Free T4 will go up.

both of these scenarios could make you very ill.

Why Why Why are you wanting to alter a dose of medication that is keeping you in the normal range this does not make any sense???

latefortysomething

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »

Surely a TSH of below 1.0 suggests hyperthyroidism and free T4 of 9.7 is on the high side.   I think that a TSH of between 1 and 2 is recommended, but then free T4 and T3 are also relevant?  My TSH is 1.1, free T4 14, this is not normal. 

Sorry may have gotten this wrong,  the free T4 is relevant in all of this and despite TSH level, thyoid still low(under) as not utilising free T4. Maybe there needs to be further investigation here????? Sorry genuinely curious.

Clio hope you're ok!

latefortysomething

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »

Ah thanks for that!  I have an appt in Nov. with an endo so hoping that a few problems will be resolved.
When we go through peri stage all hell breaks loose  >:(
(and I can't spell either)
Thanks

All the best
LFS