Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Effects of Depression  (Read 56467 times)

walking the dog

Re: Effects of Depression
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »

big hug mandz depression is a terrible thing I was on mitrazapine 15 mg for a year with duloxetine and propranalol I recently came off the mitrazapine as it didnt help and im reducing the duloxetine as its not helped either im also on hrt I have had psychosnalytical psychotherapy which helped a lot.for me talking therapy is the wsy forward but everyone is different you could find an AD to suit you. I really hope you do. big hug

Mandz

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »

Sorry had trouble finding this again

I'm really struggling: my citralopram was at its highest dose, so doc decided to try mirrazapine and am at highest dose of 45mg... And diazapam 10mg... Beta blockers and hrt!!!

Am still on my knees.... Been waiting nearly 4weeks to see physiatrist.... Don't know what more I can do xx

Babsm67

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »

Hello Mandz, have a  :bighug:  I know exactly what you are going through. I have had depression & anxiety on & off as well (had PND & extreme PMS too).   I look back now & realise I started to feel worse in winter 2013 when bewidering peri symptoms flared up (I didn't know it was peri until I found this site).  This time last year, I was exactly the same as you except I couldn't go into work - I was signed off sick (my workplace was contributing to my depression & I eventually left).  At my lowest points, I have phoned a well known national helpline (I am not sure if I am allowed to mention them on here) as they are sympathetic, will listen &, although they cannot give much advice, they can help you to think more clearly.  Also, like you, I am struggling to find the right antidepressants as I had escitilopram which worked wonders for me, even on a very low dosage, until I started to react to it (amongst other things - another stupid peri symptom).  I have diazapam for emergencies but cannot take these too frequently.  I think I probably need to try a tricyclic again as I am currently struggling. Mirtazapine didn't work for me either - I just became an anxious zombie but we are all different - there must be something out there that will work!
Is your workplace supportive because that will give you some reassurance.   Could you reduce your hours temporarily or get signed off by your gp?  I know what you mean about wanting to feel like 'me' again - I actually said that same sentence to my husband last night.  Sending best wishes xxx :hug:

Justjules

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »

Hi Mandz - sorry to hear you are struggling so much.  There are a lot of us ladies in the same boat on here.

Can I just ask you because I feel exactly like you do, how did you get a referral to an actual psychiatrist and not just psychotherapist and what difference is there?

x

Mandz

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »

Hi , my go has referred me, she said she has went as far as she can go with medication and needs someone more qualified in mental illness!

I'm actually crying messaging this. All the advice I read tells me to keep talking to people and I do, but I know the ones I do talk to are bound to be getting fed up of it/me..... I'm fed up of it/me!!!!

I try to explain how I feel: worthless, sad, empty, lonely, useless, pathetic knotted up inside
They respond: but your not, your needed, we care

I know all that..... But I'm trying to explain that's "how I feel"..... Not what I am! I open my eyes and I don't want the day to start.....I have to think what's for dinner that night, I don't know??!!!! I worry!
Gawd there's washing needing done, shopping needing done, cleaning needing done........ I want to sit  and cry ......it's all mundane and all the while I feel tired (I can't get enough sleep btw)......

I've been signed off my work now....4 weeks!!! My work was very supportive..... But I'm mortified not coping..... And I usually like my job..... I'm sinking and don't know how to stop it

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »

A Psychiatrist is able to prescribe medication, admit to a Hospital as well as arrange a Section under the Mental Health Act.  He/she will be likely to see sufferers on a regular basis as necessary.

A Psychologist is able to refer back to a GP, sometimes to a Psychiatric Ward but not, in the UK, allowed to prescribe.  He/she will listen, support, may make suggestions but will never tell a sufferer 'what to do'. 

I have found both specialities useful during the 1990s.  The brain is an organ often forgotten, I have a theory that the longer the brain is depressed the longer it will take for medication to begin easing symptoms.

Mandz - you R lucky that your work is able to sign you off for 4 weeks.  Do you have a health dept. there?  When do you see the GP again?

coldethyl

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »

Sorry you feel like this. I've never suffered from severe depression but can empathise with how it is making you feel as my severe anxiety also makes me feel " worthless" and so on. It's hard to tell yourself that those aren't facts about you when you feel them so overwhelmingly but hopefully a good mental health professional will be able to help you find a solution that helps you and supports you through this. A psychiatrist should be able to prescribe a better cocktail of medication should they think that necessary - I know that anti-psychotics can be used at lower doses for severe intractable depression so that may be something you could try if other meds haven't helped. X

Justjules

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »

Mandz, can you afford to go private?  If you could, you would be seen more or less straight away.  I really empathise with you.  That's what gets to me as well - the mundane everyday stuff that I can't be bothered to do or find physically impossible to do as well.  I told this to my therapist on Friday and she made me put it all into a bit of perspective and not to worry about all that and delegate as much as I could.  My other half is not getting proper meals at night at the moment as I've no appetite to shop, let alone cook and the washing just gets thrown in when I can manage but yes, it does get to me.

Can you telephone MIND - I think CKLD has suggested they are really helpful when you are feeling so bad, or see if there is some sort of 'walk-in' place you can visit to offload a bit.
x

CLKD

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »

JustJules: Could your other half eat 'out' at lunchtime and then bring back sandwiches or bits and pieces to eat in the evenings?
What do you have in your pantry/freezer that could be thrown together?  Himself makes pancakes when I really can't eat.  He also has sun-dried tomatoes in oil, fish in oil, there's always cheese around, which can be made into a light pizza-type meal.  I've been known to boil the kettle, put an Oxo cube into a mug, pour boiling water on and add rice and a few peas ……. it's better than nowt ;-)

M&S have good light bites too, apparently.  Or is there a deli close by that could make up some tasty small dishes for you?  Mum has used Wiltshire Farm Foods successfully as well as ? Oaklands ? - both companies deliver regularly.

If I drop dead tonight the housework remains! so when I can I does, when I'm tired I tend to read or sit in our garden.   ;)  MIND were certainly helpful when I sent an e-mail to our local Branch, letting me know the times of the various walk-in sessions. 

Mandz

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2016, 11:16:56 PM »

Hi all I don't know how I can go private, I'm not sure I could afford it!
Where do I find out? I'm really clutching on by my fingernails, today I went to see the pharmacist to beg for some kind of help: I explained that back in October I went to doc to say that I felt I was dipping and was flushing and that my medication was changed from citralopram to mirtazapiine and 1mg of ellese hrt ..... And then beta blockers ...... But instead of improving I'm worse,

She listened and said she would contact my health centre and see what could be done, now I've to wait, probs tomorrow before I can get any joy from doc, I feel like I'm being over needy and pathetic..... I just want it all to stop.  :'(

Thank you all for being so understanding with me!

Btw is there anyway I can find this page quicker.... I keep losing it xxx

CLKD

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »

Start at the top " show unread posts since last visit" and click.

Or make a note of the 'effects of depression' title and use the 'search' box

You can get referred to a Consultant via your GP.  He/she will write a referral letter to post or for you to take if you decide to go privately.  The GP will know who sees Private Patients in your Health Area, it may well be the same Consultant as works in the NHS.  If you want to know costs, ring the Dept. at the Hospital to find out.  I would expect to pay from £120-200 an hour.

Is the Pharmacist going to ring you?

orchid

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2016, 06:48:45 PM »

Mandz..so sorry you're going through such a bad time.I was like you a few weeks ago, I was crying out for help as I felt so depressed and really ill. Severe nausea, no appetite agonising abdo pain. I rang the local crisis team and they couldn't help either as I had no suicidal intent, for all I felt it! Anyway, long story short I got a NHS referral to a psychiatrist and he wasn't really much help, they deal mostly with self harm and suicide. I'm guessing a private one may be more help. I ended up going back on the Trycyclic Dosulepin which I had been on for about 15 years and that's the only AD I can take. I believe I'll be on it for life now, there is talk it's to be discontinued, but I think that was just a manufacturing blip. My flushes have returned in recent months with all this upset, but I'm resigned to not taking HRT again as the headaches and cramps are too much. I'm 57 now and postmenopause, so just going to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. I'm feeling much better now 6 weeks on my AD's. I'm waiting for level 3 CBT, but I've had to struggle to get this far! Hope you feel better soon. X

Two hoots

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »

Until August 2014 I had no idea what depression really was, but without any warning I had all the feelings Mandz has described, it was an awful time.  After crying for days I finally phoned my GP and asked for help, he started me on Citalopam and I expected them to work in a few days, only when I googled the tablets I found that they take months to work.  When at the lowest point I would sit with a box of tissues at my side and cry, I couldn't be bothered to do any housework I forced myself to have a shower and wash my hair but I was exhausted just doing that. I couldn't clean my teeth without nausea and would go days not eating anything but toast.  After a few weeks I felt more like my old self and decided the tablets a waste of time and stopped taking them, and until christmas 2015 I felt much more settled and only had the odd jittery day.  I think everyone finds christmas stressful and to be honest rather than looking forward to spending time with my family I wanted it over which is not like me at all. In January I hit another low point but this time I asked my GP for help straight away and I have decided to give the medication time to work. This forum helped me massively and I have often read posts with tears streaming down my cheeks, I'm so sorry for everyone who feels depressed or anxious but you are not alone.

CLKD

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »

STOP GOOGLING!!!   :bang: :bang: :bang:

The longer the brain has been depressed the longer it takes for the medication to work.  Some people have a quicker result with ADs then others.  I found that medication that supposedly took 10-14 days to kick in, I had a good result within 3 days.  I expect that the Citalopram were beginning to work? but you stopped them ……… which is what I did years ago until I was told by a Pyschiatrist who attended at home that I would need to take a low maintenance dose for Life.  Acceptance was difficult but once I realised that DH and I had a Life again  ;)

If you are hungry, do you not eat?  if you were diabetic or had heart problems, would you not take the medication?  so if your are prescribed ADs which don't give side-effects …………  ;).  Let us know how you get on!

Two hoots

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »

It was because I Googled my tablets I found this forum  :)

It's been 4 weeks on Citalopam 20mg , the first few days I felt slight nausea but otherwise no side effects. I can't say yet whether they are starting to work, but I have had 1 weepy day since taking them, I know it's still early days and if they don't work that I can try different medication.

I have an appointment with my GP in two weeks to check my progress and dosage.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13