Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Effects of Depression  (Read 56487 times)

Babsm67

Re: Effects of Depression
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »

I think you are right - I am going through something like that at the moment over my former workplace colleagues as I do not have anything in common with them anymore & they said about keeping in touch but never did.  I miss the social life I had through my old workplace as well.  I feel I cannot be bothered with trying to keep in touch with the sister who lives nearest anymore - the problem is she has three daughters whom I always send cards & money to (I hardly see them though).  I might have mentioned this before in an old thread but someone once said to me a long time ago when I was depressed, "Don't hang around with people who make you feel miserable & cut the 'dead wood' out of your life'.  Start as I mean to go on! Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »

U could decide that once the nieces reach 12/16/18/21 that you stop buying ?  that's what I did.  Especially if they don't send 'thank you' letters!  I told my sister that if her sons couldn't be bothered to acknowledge me then I couldn't be bothered - they were about 12, now in their late 30s they send a card  ;) although their Mum writes the address on the envelope.

If anyone drains you then see less of them.  Some people are takers, others are givers  ;)

Babsm67

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »

Good for you!  :). Too true - well done for having the confidence to do that  :) xx

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »

We live miles from relatives so can do it easily.  We don't have to engage often  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »

This is how depression affected me and unless I take medication regularly and unless I don't take on too much or say 'yes' too often, generally I'm OK.

newbeginnings

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

It is a real gift to discover this thread. It is such a comfort to know I'm not alone. I'm not a forum user generally ( haven't a clue what all the abbreviations mean - is there a key anywhere!?) as I always feel nervous expressing myself publicly.
My experiences are very similar to people here, very painful childhood which I'm only really coming to terms with now at the age of 55.

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »

ADs - anti-depressants
DH - Dear Husband
DD - Dear Daughter
DS - Dear Son

ask away!  We're here to share  ;)

newbeginnings

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »

DC's?  :)

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »

Aaahhh ……… in what context? 

MadBloss  - come in for an update  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »

I shed tears this morning.  Having suffered deep depression in the 1990s and having felt unsafe at times, right now I hate this illness.  It can become a silent killer  :'(  ……… and I feel so sad for my friends who had a tradedgy before C.mas  :'(.  It's brought a lot of my own feelings I went through at that time to mind, which makes me scared …….. it makes me angry that there is little support for those suffering from depression or anxiety.  It takes ages to see a GP in some areas, referrals for psychiatric counselling etc. can take months before the appt. is avaialbe ……… I would love to see walk-in centres for those suffering who need somewhere to simply 'be'.  No need to communicate or justify why they need to sit …….. but somewhere to feel safe, with sofas and blankets to curl up underneath.  A cuppa to hand to huggle, not necessary to drink. 

Would Assisted Dying stop some people ending their Lives - because it doesn't do to even suggest that one feels suicidal it seems to freak others a lot! and there's those that say 'you don't need to be depressed', 'what have you to be depressed about?'  ……… If Assisted Dying walk-in Clinics were available people who felt unsafe or in despair could have somewhere to talk where they know they wouldn't be judged  :-\

Justjules

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2016, 05:55:32 PM »

Oh CLKD, you poor thing. You sound at rock bottom and you are so supportive of everyone on here. Yes, this damn depression thing is terrible. I downloaded the depression book by Sue Atkinson, can't remember the bloomin title at the mo and it was the best book on the subject that I have ever read.

OMG, what an amazing thing that would be, to have a place of comfort where people could go if they were having a really bad day to just 'be' without being judged and feel safe.  Have you looked at Depression Alliance? That was recommended to me as well.

Hope you feel better soon. X

newbeginnings

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »

Wishing you all the support and love you could possibly need to get through this time. I've been there myself many times. It will pass you will feel better give it time.

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »

:thankyou:

purplenanny

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2016, 08:21:55 PM »

Huge hugs CLKD
PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

Thanks.  I will make a double appt with our GP for a chat - he is my late friend's GP too …...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13