Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Effects of Depression  (Read 56436 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Effects of Depression
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

Yep - a problem shared.  We're allowed to be alone but it's the whizzing thoughts that used to bother me, I could never slow my brain down enough to analyse them and couldn't have told anyone what was going on in there  ::)

Dyan

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »

I feel for you charliegirl.
Been there myself.Mine was a lot to do with insecuries too.
I know what  you mean CLDK about the thoughts whizzing around your brain.
Honeybun,I'm the same when I'm out,looking around at other women and thinking
"Do they feel like I feel?"
 :bighug: for you charliegirl and for you all on here.
Dyan X

Suzi Q

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »

Bullying is found EVERYWHERE
Depression is an inherited genetic disease
They have found the depressive gene
My MUM and my brother and my son have depression I suffered too but mine was an illness
I was able to get over it with only help no ADs though I did take them (sorry) for 8/mnths till the Therapy started
We all feel that when times are bad we look at people walking or driving and think if only they knew?
Wonder what their life is like and the thoughts Oddly enough Im having them lately scarey what if scenarios hate them

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »

There are at least 2 types of depression - organic and clinical.  Organic is chemical related in that the brain lacks ooomph and clinical is based around life events which people feel they can't alter.  This can lead to anger, annoyance, low mood, lack of interest in daily living.  I have both at times, thank goodness for medication!

Suzi Q

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »

There are at least 2 types of depression - organic and clinical.  Organic is chemical related in that the brain lacks ooomph and clinical is based around life events which people feel they can't alter.  This can lead to anger, annoyance, low mood, lack of interest in daily living.  I have both at times, thank goodness for medication!

My MUM had Chemical depression  and clinical as does my son
I had clinical it took 3 years of Therapy to get rid of it but I dont think it ever totaly goes
I find since my illness silly things upset me things I would shrug off before
Yet Im a stronger person for having therapy I get over the things that upset me very quickly
also my angers not as bad as it was or my rage against life
I would give anything for son not to be sick Id have it for him he has been depressed since he was about 15 or so though I think it was even earlier I think coming to Ozz at 9 played a part too
He saw his Nan and Gag and Grt Nan and Uncle virtually every day of his 9 years of life
Plus cousins and Aunts and Uncles he went to the same school I did my Dad did and my grandad did
I blame myself he got the gene and predisposition from me knowing what I know now Id never have taken him away

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »

Do you blame yourself for other genetically disposed conditions though?  Why is it that depression has such a stigma  >:( ....... does your son blame you?

I got rid of my teen anger in my mid-30s by talking therapy - discuss, decide, ditch. Cleared my head of anquish, medication helps control the other stuff.

Suzi Q

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »

Thats a hard one I dont know but I do know I missed the signssons depression I shouldnt have
MUM had been mentaly ill all her life and Id been her main care giver till I was 15
The again from 20/26 so I saw it at its worst I suppose I just didnt want to see what was in front of me
I dont blame me as much as genetics and we can do nothing about that I just get so sad sometimes
I think of the things he wanted to do depression stopped him then he got his Autoim disease which is also genetic
Sometimes think what the F else but you have to go on and not give up
Son is now happily married to a wonderful girl even though her and I arent close we get on well
They have traversed the world together are buying their second home even though he sometimes just cant go to work
He works for a great company they unbderstand his sickness and are ubderstanding when he rings in SICK
But he does do heaps of work for them far more than most employees would he works loads from home in his own time
Designed their new web page for nothing would have cost the firm $1000s  so its quid pro quo
I think we just have to accept that some will get depression for life some will get over it and some are just plain SAD

Does son blame me hmmmmm honestly I dont know the Autoimune the same hes a celt hes a fighter its in his nature
Not saying others dont just that son is the hard faced celt that you want at your side when thihngs are bad He said at one stage the only thing that stopped him (can I say this?) killing himself was me he knew Id follow him
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:22:34 AM by Suzi Q »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »

Depression rears it's ugly head in many forms so don't beat yourself up at not noticing it in your son.  I hid it well from people for years, when I finally admitted friends told me they never would have thought that I would be a depressed person.  It's the public face again  ::)

charliegirl

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »

Hi CHKD am also suffering very bad depression at the moment, due to a breakdown with relaitionship/work stress, I back at GPs on monday to review meds, hopefully they can get me right, :(Just feel like am not living really.
Charliegirl.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »

So be kind to you.  Feet up.  Cuppa in hand.  TV or music on in the background and doze when ever you are able to.  Don't worry about your sleep pattern.  If you are awake in the night read, do puzzles or have music on.  My brain used to whizz fast when I was very ill.  Occasionally now it does when I've been busy.  I try not to worry about the odd night when I don't sleep. 

Take a list of symptoms to the GP and ask how to tackle them.  That way your Doctor can take informed steps about what to prescribe and advise and youwon't miss telling him/her anything  ;)

Dyan

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »

Lists are good CLDK.
I'm always doing lists for anything. :)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:42:38 PM »

When I was very ill I had lists for everything except getting out of bed and feeding the cats.  That way Icould remain on automatic pilot and not think too hard about anything  :-\

Val.M

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »

I'm very much divided on this subject because there is a big difference between what is classified as a "Neurotic depression" and a "Psychotic depresssion" 

Basically, when suffering from Neurotic depression, we do not suffer from irrational thinking - but a psychotic depression will cause this problem - eg, irrational thinking, delusions, paranoia etc....  I have definitely seen this with my son and it's very, very unpleasant.  He had no hope of doing anything at all because he was so very agitated.  (I've been on the cusp of this before, so could see what was happening to him but I always knew that I wasn't quite "right" and thereby lies the difference.) 

He had absolutely no idea that he wasn't thinking in a "normal way."  To be honest - "normal" didn't even come into it - but if you had spent just 5 minutes with him, you would not know that he was severley ill...  I knew though and so did my husband and daughter but it took ages to get the correct diagnosis.

I'm not trying to say that depression is any less debilitating in any form but a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia or Bi Polar Disorder is incredibly serious and the medication can have a serious impact on the patient's way of life... (If it works..)

http://maddieruud.hubpages.com/hub/Psychosis_Vs_Neurosis - I think this website explains it very well indeed....

Valxx  (Sorry to go on so much!)

Valxx

Suzi Q

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 02:18:38 AM »

All the love in the world
God Bless xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »

Psychosis is a different ball game altogether and can be scarey for those watching.  Usually the sufferer has no idea that their conversation or actions are not within normal limits.  The brain is a strange creature at times.  Certainly drugs can make people anxious or agitated, I remember Dad having some medication which caused him to pace all the while.  He couldn't walk it 'out' so it was eventually changed to Lithium. 

What's 'neurotic' depression?  I have both organic and clinical depression which run along similar lines but I can recognise the difference, however, some 'experts' will not accept that there is an 'organic' basis.  Hormones can cause problems at puberty which often go un-diagnosed and un-resolved even with diagnosis. 

My problem initially was that I didn't recognise when depression was creeping up nor would I listen when Himself told me to change jobs/hobbies etc. when it was obvious I was becoming obsessive.  I have learned since 2001 to listen more and slow down, take stock and re-evaluate.  Usually he is 'right'  ::).

Last night I felt remote from Life, I was quite scared.  I couldn't sleep, my brain was racing, I had a lot of guilt rushing through my brain and body  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13