Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: To take or not to take  (Read 1186 times)

HellsBells

To take or not to take
« on: April 15, 2024, 09:25:49 AM »

I have a moderate prolapse (cystocele & rectocele) which was being improved by pelvic floor therapy. I did my back in for 4 weeks and stopped it. Shortly after I got UTI symptoms and had an 'inconclusive' result. I had no nitrites, no blood but moderate leukocytes. I was given a short course of ABs (Nitrofuratoin) but two different practitioners had different views on holding or taking. I am waiting for the results of the sample sent to the lab for analysis. Should I take them as one doc says (liability/DOC concerns I expect) or wait?

Does anyone have experience of this? Without nitrites but with prolapse/menopause can leukocytes be positive? I have 2 autoimmune conditions (coeliac and Hasimoto's) which may cause this odd picture.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: To take or not to take
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 10:08:48 AM »

We have discussed vaginal atrophy many times and how GPs do not consider this when women complain of possible UTIs.  Inconclusive probably if an infection isn't grown.

I wouldn't take ABs unless absolutely necessary!  The World is becoming AB resistant.  Because GPs hand out ABs without giving the one that will target the actual infection.

3 days often isn't enough anyway.  I've never yet finished a whole Course although they did ease VA symptoms initially.

Do U have VA treatment to use, if so begin now.  Then another dose this evening.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 10:09:11 AM »

There are threads on the Forum for both those conditions which may throwsomelight.

HellsBells

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 10:48:44 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply CLKD.  :)

I do use Vagifem, and have done since 2021 when I first started having UTI issues. The Vagifem cleared it all up after that time, so I have been clear for 3 years. I didn't ever suffer before menopause and haven't since I had 3 on the trot in 2021 so this is odd. Hence the reluctance to take the ABs.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 12:30:53 PM »

MayB up the 'vagifem' to every night i.e. a reload, for 2-3 weeks?

Also pain relief if your gut can tolerate it may well ease symptoms.

Orba

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:01:52 PM »

Hi, I jumped across from your reply on my thread about Nitro !
So, I was given the Antibiotics for UTI symptoms and I held off taking them until the results came back.
My sample showed white blood cells, small amounts of blood but heavy mixed bacterial growth. By the time the results came back I'd started to feel better but my practice nurse advised taking 3 days of the Nitro as I had a kidney infection last year.
I didn't get to finish the course as reacted to them.
I know VA causes blood and WBC in urine but I'm not sure about mixed bacteria.
Will be interesting to see what your sample shows.
I too have cystocele/ rectocele!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 05:25:21 PM »

Which bacteria did the Nurse explain?  3 days often isn't enough, what you have been prescribed is a broad spectrum AB which may not target the 'bug'.  Let us know Orba how you get on.

Orba

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 06:14:52 PM »

Which bacteria did the Nurse explain?  3 days often isn't enough, what you have been prescribed is a broad spectrum AB which may not target the 'bug'.  Let us know Orba how you get on.
hi no nurse just said no dominant bacteria. I think GPs have to call microbiology at the hospital to find out .
I was given Cephalexin instead and I'm fine now so was obviously something there causing issues.
I'm already on local estrogen so have upped that for a week or so !