Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: The MM Recipe Exchange  (Read 240666 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The MM Recipe Exchange
« Reply #300 on: July 21, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »

jaycee - 17 hours is FAR TOO LONG!  the body is not meant to fast.  We are hunter gatherers ..........

8 hours overnight is sufficient.  The body needs calories in order to repair muscles etc. which is done whilst we sleep.  If I went more than 5 hours without something I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning and panic would set in  :'(

One is starved after mid-night prior to elected surgery - I know of one man who went into cardiac arrest because he was starved all day, the theatre was being used for emergencies and no one thought to feed him  :-\.  His op was pushed back and back from 8.30 a.m. and in the late afternoon he was quite poorly.  He did recover but lessons were learnt.

I think Cranachan is a bit sweet, even for me  ;D but I would give it a try  8)

Sparrow

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »

DAMPFNUDELN

This is a pudding that I remember well, from our time living in the Rhine Valley.  Can't believe that my new copy of the BBC History mag has printed the recipe. So here it is and it is absolutely delicious.

For the dampfnudeln
150ml milk
90g caster sugar
7g sachet fast-action yeast
400g plain flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
70g unsalted butter, melted.

For the poaching liquid
250ml whole milk
50g sugar
50g butter.

METHOD
To make the dumplings, heat the milk to lukewarm.  Stir in one teaspoon of the sugar and the dried yeast and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes until bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, the remaining  sugar, egg, butter and the yeast mixture.  Stir with a spoon before using your hands once the dough starts to come together in a ball.  Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and springy.  Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with film and leave to rise for one hour.
When the dough has almost finish proving, prepare the poaching liquid.  Put the milk, sugar and butter in a lidded pan and heat until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
Divide the dough into eight equal portions and shape into balls.  Pop the dumplings into the liquid, making sure they are sitting on the base of the pan with a little space in between each one.  Replace the lid and don't remove it for the firs 25 minutes of cooking.  Keep the heat low under the pan so the dumplings are poaching.
After 25 minutes, check the tops of dumpling feel firm, then remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes.  Serve immediately, ideally with vanilla sauce or custard. (vanilla blancmange powder, made runnier is ideal)

Recipe can also be found on bbcgoodfood.com
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:33:44 PM by Shadyglade »

Jari

« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »

Thanks Shadyglade. That looks great. I made German schnupfnudel and they are delicious. Mash potato mixed with chickpea flour and tapioca flour. Roll out, cut and roll out bite size bits and throw into salted boiling water. Finish in frying pan. They are so nice.

Check out elavegan.com  its where I got the recipe and she has some really lovely things there that I think you may like. X

Sparrow

« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »

Two Ingredients, Gluten Free Biscuits

250g Almond flour

2 bananas

Blend together

Use ice cream scoop to portion out on baking tray

Bake for 20 minutes 160 fan, gas mark 6

Jane50

« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good vegan cook book with pictures. Mine doesn't have pics. I have enough trouble WITH pics never mind having to guess what it looks like too!
Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »

Has anyone heard of or used 'yuzu' sauce?

VictoryV

« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2021, 08:19:19 PM »

Yes, it’s Korean, it’s citrus so acidy and easy to make

Gnatty

« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2021, 07:40:41 AM »

Ooh can you share the ingredients/ how to make?

ange63

« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2022, 08:30:43 AM »

acid reflux/GERD.    I have this and would appreciate any recipes that you have found are good for this and a low alkaline diet.    Wheat is absolute no no!!!   Anyone use cornflower for baking and had success? x

Tinx

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »

Me too, Ange.

I find that Thai Jasmine rice helps because it's bland and gentle on the tum. Sometimes it's really all I can bear to eat until the acid subsides. Also, my go to thing is those Wrigley's Extra Mints. Suck two - they're hot and will help settle the acid.

jaypo

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2023, 06:23:09 PM »

I'm on a wheat free diet too,down to wheat allergy,the gf flour isn't great but if you add xanthan gum it helps a little  :)

Minusminnie

« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »

As return of tesco stuffing mentioned in another thread ! i thought i would post this Mixed Grain Rice Stuffing recipe.   :)

One i tried with our christmas turkey one year and then continued to make it year on year as everyone liked it. 
The butter inside it keeps the turkey meat moist.  With a roughly 13lb turkey I did end up using half the recipe as usually did sausagemeat in neck end as well. Sometimes upped the garlic as well.
Nice cold the next day also.

Mixed Grain Rice Stuffing

2 x 135g packets of Countrywild rice (blend of brown and wild rice)
125g (4oz) butter
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
2 carrots peeled and finely diced
1 stick celery finely diced
1 garlic clove peeled and chopped
125 (4oz) smoked bacon diced

Cook the rice according to the manufacturer's instructions. 
Meanwhile melt the butter in a pan, then add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.  Add the bacon and cook for another minute.
Stir this mixture into the rice and season.
Allow the mixture to cool before using to stuff.
The texture will be a little crumbly but when cooked with the turkey it swells and binds together.

(Countrywild rice probably no longer exists but there are other wild rice blends)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]