Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: The MM Recipe Exchange  (Read 191835 times)

Tiddles

Re: The MM Recipe Exchange
« Reply #285 on: June 16, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »

Bring Me Sunshine - that sounds like my perfect cake ! Bookmarking that for next time we have visitors - thank you 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »

:bouncing:

jaycee

« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

I have a really sweet tooth, but have to cut down on sugar and all thing bad for diabetics,
I have recently been told i am pre diabetic, only slightly  but would be interested in any recipes, that are suitable,
Trying to stop myself getting type 2 diabetes

CLKD

« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »

Who told you?  You should have access to a diabetic nurse or have a look-see on the various support web-sites?  A friend of mine was diabetic when the weather was really hot (lives in Oz) but in the cooler months, her sugars went back to within normal limits.

jaycee

« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »

It was the practice nurse at my surgery, she said nothing to worry about yet as only 2 markers above normal bloods
She just gave me a leaflet, and said to cut down on sugar and carbs
I have no diabetes in my family, but have put a bit of weight on recently,although i am only 9 stone,i am usually 8st-8.5, i am trying to lose about 7lbs
When i went to my Drs a few weeks ago he never mentioned it and i never thought to,

CLKD

« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »

So contact one of the UK-based diabetic groups?  Quicker probably than asking for a dietician appt. or speaking to the appropriate Nurse  ::).

Diet
Exercise
Hydration
Exercise
Lots of fruits and veg.? 

jaycee

« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

I do look on the Diabetes websites, and  look for food that is Diabetes friendly, i love all veg, but don't like fruit at all except for strawberries, which i believe are full of Vit C, which i am not supposed to have because of having too much iron, which Vit C helps to build, however i do eat them,
My eldest son has recently been diagnosed with type 2, and is now on a strict diet and medication,
His is probably hereditary, as his grandmother on his fathers side had it, not sure about anyone else in that family, no one in mine as far as i know, don't many extended family, but sisters, brother and mother didnt have it
I don't do much cooking as i am on my own, so like simple things,
I sometimes do a sunday roast as my 2 younger sons often come for a meal on a sunday,
Not supposed to eat much meat either, [or green veg] but not a big meat eater anyway, so that doesn't bother me too much,
I really eat what i fancy at the time, but i am really struggling to cut out cakes,[especially cream ones] have cut down drastically on chocolate and fudge, which i love
Also cut sugar out of my coffee

CLKD

« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

So get son to copy what is suggested?

Foxylady

« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »

Hi jaycee, there is evidence that intermittent fasting ie the Fast 5:2 diet can reverse pre diabetes. It might be worth having a look into it. It recommends a generally healthy diet and 800 calories over 2 days (myself and OH have been doing it since Jan for general health & weight loss reasons). We both did it 4 years ago pre holiday abroad but the more we have read up on it (michael mosley's books are really good) the more common sense it seems (to us anyway!!).
Ps the 800 calories is not as bad as it sounds if you shop savvy, eat plenty veg, salads, soups etc.

jaycee

« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »

Hi Foxylady,yes that is what i am looking into ,i am already working out what and how i am going to do it,thanks for the suggestion though

Foxylady

« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »

jaycee when myself and OH did it originally it was 600 calories for women, better now the 800. The newer version has some variations you can choice to follow, or not. I don't have anything to eat after my dinner, so fast from 6pm to 8am the following morning but it depends on your lifestyle what suits you. My OH likes a supper so doesn't do it like that but he isn't a breakfast person!
It's like any change of lifestyle it depends how motivated you are to make that change how you will find it. Let me know how you get on, can share tips if you decide to give it a go.

jaycee

« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2019, 05:16:49 PM »

Thank you Foxylady, i am already leaving 16 hours between meals,i rarely eat after 6pm and dont eat again until around 10 am anyway, but have struggled not to buy anything sweet for the last 2 days, and cut the sugar in my coffee, only used 1 flat teaspoon anyway
I can usually lose weight easier than gaining it
Last year i was trying to put some on, then just before Christmas put more than half a stone on,
I have willpower so i expect it not to take too long,it is just a matter of eating the right things now
Still only in a size 10, but have put quite a bit on my bust,[which i dont mind] it's the bit under my ribs i need to lose

Foxylady

« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

I never had a belly until the last 3 years but it has definately reduced and almost back to 'normal', been going to a pilates class which has helped. I have always had a sweet tooth but to be honest have rarely felt tempted, I usually give myself 1 day a week where I will have a cake/pudding/choc, although not always stuck to that ;D. I think if you keep in mind why you are doing it that it keeps you motivated (most of the time anyway!!).

CLKD

« Reply #298 on: July 13, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »

Description

Cranachan is a traditional Scottish dessert.

It was originally a celebration of harvest, made following the raspberry harvest in June. The dessert of cream and fresh seasonal raspberries is bolstered by Scottish oats and whisky.

It has been called 'the uncontested king of Scottish dessert'. [Wikipedia]
Main ingredients: Whipped cream, whisky, honey (preferably heather honey), raspberries, oatmeal
Place of origin: Scotland

>hands over large dish<  ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:14:48 PM by CLKD »

jaycee

« Reply #299 on: July 21, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »

That dish sounds lovely CLKD just the kind of food i like unfortunately ;D
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21