Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Newbie as of today !

(1/2) > >>

doodlebug1:
Hi everyone

I am new to this group as of about 1 hour ago because I am looking to get some help/advice.

I am 58 years old and been on HRT for 20 months now.  I managed to go 7 years without anything and then bang, it hit me big style.  I was originally on Kliovance which was horrific and then after 5 months of being told "you have to give it time", I went to see a GP with the list of side effects I was encountering and he said "Wow! we have to change that then" and he was lovely about it, no questions asked, and changed it to Evorel Conti.  I had initial bleeding, which I expected due to change in dose etc followed by some spotting / breakthrough but was still within the 6 months of the new ones but had blood tests done anyway, which came  back ok.

The spotting / breakthrough carried on, and still does, roughly every 6 weeks or so.

I have an off the charts phobia of cancer so was terrified.

I was seen by a Gynaecologist 3 days before Christmas just gone - and why are they always 6 feet tall with hands the size of snow shovels please - who carried out the external scan, internal scan, biopsy etc.  All came back fine .  The lining was thicker than "normal" and I have Fibroids which I already knew about, so he said no issues.  I asked about a Hysterectomy but that was pushed aside unless there was anything wrong with the biopsy.

What I am looking to find out is what people have been told about what happens if you stop and how you go about it because all I get told is if I can put up with it, then just crack on because the Estrogen feeds the Fibroids which makes them grow, so they have to "release" at some point.

I suffer with the most horrendous muscle cramps in my upper back / around the shoulder blade that literally take my breath away, stomach cramps like you used to get before a period, nausea and weight gain.

Mentally, this is draining me something chronic and I really don't know what to do anymore.

Thank You

CLKD:
Welcome to the Club  :welcomemm:  do U feel supported in general?   What were your periods up to when you opted for HRT?

As for phobias, I can well understand. I have a thread [emitophobia] on the Forum somewhere.    It infiltrated my dreams so for years I had no relief.

Cancer can be dealt with a lot more successfully as the years go on with different treatments etc.. However, with the NHS waiting lists for appts it's better to err on the side of caution with any worries!

Were U told how much 'thicker than normal'  ?  There are options of getting onto the waiting lists of dedicated menopause clinics, both private and NHS which may be worth bearing in mind.  [what ever that means  ::)]

Hopefully some1 will be along with regards fibroids. 

As ostrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It may be an idea to check your foot wear, you overall stance, your mattress/pillows etc..  I have noticed that in recent years I have a tendency to bend over when walking and saw 3 women of similar age, doing the same  ::). 

Browse round. Make notes ;-).  Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use. 

sheila99:
At least you know it's nothing sinister. Removing the fibroids would be the best option. People have tried both ways of stopping and it doesn't seem to make much difference. If your symptoms are going to return they'll do so regardless.

Violetta808:
Good to know everything is normal on your scans etc.

If you are thinking of stopping, personally I would first try cutting the conti patch in half ie 25mcg, and seeing how you feel after a couple of weeks. It’s off licence but safe to do this. It might just be enough to control meno symptoms without stimulating the endometrium and fibroids.

I just wonder if this might work for you as nausea, bloating and bleeding can be a sign of too much oestrogen. I have fibroids too, which bled a lot on 50mcg and I felt better all round reducing the dose (this is only an idea based on my own personal experience of course).

The problem is the conti patches only come in one dose and we are all different in our needs. It’s like everyone being forced to wear the same shoe size.

doodlebug1:
Thank you so much to all that have replied - it is lovely to know there are people out there who care about what others are going through and are able to offer support based on their own experiences.  The Consultant wasn't specific in the thickness of the lining, just saying a few mm's more than normal but nothing too vast, but he was happy for me to continue on the patches if I wanted to.

I honestly never thought about halving the patch - again, not something you are told is possible to try, or even suggested.  I definitely think this is going to be something worth at least trying in the interim - that is the only way to find out hahahaha.  I suspect there will be some side effects initially - it wouldn't be me if everything worked perfectly first time !- but at least I will have a reason for it doing so.

Thank you again and I will let you know  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version