Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Anyone got any advice on Constipation and Bloating please

(1/2) > >>

Honeybean:
Hiya

I am really struggling with constipation and bloating at the moment. Have always suffered a bit with constipation but was very careful with water in take and food so managed it quite well. But all of a sudden I got chronically constipated for no reason and tummy was like a balloon. GP prescribed me with the most disgusting stuff called Laxido, boy did it work!! Its vicious stuff. Should come with a health warning itself and be called TORPEDO!!  ;D

Just wondering if anyone has similar experience and has found better products that are not vicious, to avoid constipation? I am particularly interested in how to stop the bloating and wind. Omg the wind is awful and I look pregnant and I feel quite uncomfortable. I do feel a bit fed up, so would love some hints and tips on anything that has worked for you please.

Thanks xx

Penguin:
Do you take hrt? The only thing that helped my constipation was raising my estrogen levels with hrt. The constipation itself can cause bloating, but if it continues ask your gp to check it out.

CLKD:
Look at everything that you eat/drink.  Make a detailed list of your diet for 3 days/nights.

I use VA treatment but no other form of replacement.  In the last 5 years I have had to stop eating shop bought cakes, pastries, croissants, biscuits.  4 me it's the fats and hidden sugars that cause bloat and nausea++.

Fruits and veg have natural sugars which will not add weight!  Any processed foods should be avoided from childhood and certainly as we go into peri.. 

I'm not good at the fruit aspect but adding more veg. has helped enormously, I can't tell U how much my gut biome has benefitted.  Until a few years ago I swallowed 2 'actimel' a day.  When we went away and I didn't drink them I noticed a difference in transit which became really slow.  Back to Actimel and the problem eased.

Make sure that you are hydrated enough.  Some advice is to add kimchi etc. but yet I can't face it ........ something to do with good bacteria outdoing any 'bad'.

In my menstruating years my slow transit was cyclical. 

Wrensong:
Have you tried probiotic capsules?  Also, could the dose of Laxido have been too high for you?  You could perhaps try reducing the dose, using less than one sachet & reducing the water you mix with it to keep it in proportion with the prescribed ratio.  About 4.5 tsp in a sachet, so if you have measuring spoons it's easy to scale down, to give a gentler effect that should also be less bloating.  From memory I think NHS advice is to take between meals to reduce the associated bloating & with meals if it causes nausea.

Might be worth googling Squatty Potty too if you don't know about that!

Some books that might be helpful:-

1) Gut by Giulia Enders (very well written, entertaining & informative)
2) The Clever Guts Diet - Dr Michael Mosley
3) What Every Woman Needs To Know About Her Gut - Prof B Ryan & E McGowan RD

If you have time there is a long running thread in the Private Lives section started by Ju Ju called re: poo!  It has loads of posts on this difficult topic.  I'll try to bump it for you as it often fails to come up using the search facility.
Wx

CLKD:
Oh I love coconut milk straight from the nut, it's a bit messy though  :-X  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version