Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Can 80 year old mum use Vaginal estrogen ?

(1/2) > >>

Orba:
Hi all,
I'm asking on behalf of my 80 year old mum who lives in Spain.
She is diabetic and plagued with cystitis  and from what I've worked out has dryness and vaginal atrophy.
Due to her age she doesn't really understand the VA  link and the Spanish are not keen on HRT/Vaginal HRT.
I had looked into getting her some GINA  but obviously don't want to compromise her health.
I sent her to her local pharmacy to buy external vaginal moisturizer so she s trying that.
I'm sure her recurrent cystitis is due to VA, and she keeps treating herself for thrush thinking the soreness is that which I think is making it worse.
Can anyone help ?

CLKD:
Yes.  There is no age limit for any form of HRT as long as possible problems are explained and with VA, getting relief will ease symptoms hugely.

I believe that women over 70 are disadvantaged due to not enough professionals being aware of vaginal atrophy, worse for those in 'care' homes.  :'(

Get your Mum some 'yes' or 'sylc' moisturiser too, which will be helpful in easing the symptoms.  I thought that one could buy HRT over the counter in Spain?  If she lets you know the name of her local Chemist, you can google to see what they do sell.  No one should have to suffer VA!

Orba:
Thanks.
I think the pharmacia sold her a product similar to YES.
Good idea about getting the pharmacy name. I ll get her to go back and ask about the other. As she doesn't speak fluent Spanish she waits for a friend to take her.
I think she doesn't feel comfortable talking about her ladybits
I'm on her case now though.  Think she accepts the discomfort as an age thing but I keep telling her she doesn't have to !
I don't !

CLKD:
Especially talking about personal issues with a not good grasp of the local language and if it's a bloke behind the desk.  Gina from boots might be a way to go?  Over the counter, popped into the post ...... KY jelly too, helps when my labia are dry.

Let us know how you both get on!

Songbird:
Hi Orba
My 84 year old mum has been using ovestin cream two times a week for the last year, I would say. Her vaginal dryness and UTIs have (so far) greatly improved. Our GP had no hesitance in prescribing it for her.. ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version