Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

(much) older woman, new to hrt

(1/3) > >>

Jinty:
I'm interested in any comments or suggestions please
I appreciate I may be a bit of an unusual case. I started hrt last year, at the age of 71. Various symptoms were troubling (poor sleep being just one). I'd not taken hrt when I was menopausal, some 20+ years ago as I felt it wasn't necessary for me, having had a relatively easy time of it, and of course there were at the time question marks over possible blood clots etc. Anyway, here I am, almost a year on from starting. Earlier this year I had sore breasts for a while but that passed, then less than a month ago I started bleeding. Just a little really, like a light period. It lasted for five days. I went to see my GP and we agreed we should reassess at my review, which is later this week. Then a week ago I started bleeding again, this time it's gone on for a week.
It seems likely she'll send me for tests, possibly an ultrasound just to check all's well, but having done some reading I wonder if my utrogestan dosage needs to change (100mg daily at present plus Evorel 50 patches).
What do you think?  :)

CLKD:
Hi welcome on board.

Had you stopped periods prior to starting HRT?  Sometimes bleeding is usual in the first few months as well as on some regimes, a withdrawal bleed is I think, usual.

Some1 will surely be along to advise on how the body may react on the HRT you are using.

Jinty:
Thank you so much for responding. I last had a period in the last century!   ;D I exaggerate slightly but certainly 20+ years ago

CLKD:
U can remember that far back  ;D ? You'll be a bonus here, 'cos not many of us can remember what we did yesterday  ::) :D

U could put the product names into the search box on the Forum: individually: to see how others have coped?

Hurdity:
Hi Jinty

:welcomemm:

Well done for starting HRT at such an advanced age! (I am similar but have been on HRT for 15 years).

It is wise of the doc to investigate the bleeding if you have been taking this hRT for longer than 6-9 months. There could be all sorts of reasons for this and we can't suggest whether or not you need extra progesterone (if the lining was thickening overall then this would be indicated).

Hopefully you will be sent for a scan - both an ultrasound and ideally a transvaginal scan - to assess the thickness of your womb lining. This will reveal whether it is too thick or too thin, or whether there are any abnormailites eg a polyp or fibroid. Only then will the doc be able to advise on the next course of action. As you have been menopauseal for so long it is impossible to know, but you're doing the right thing by seeing the doc.

All the best and keep us informed :)

Hurdity x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version