General Discussion > New Members

New here and not looking forward to what lies ahead...

<< < (3/4) > >>

Kg1974:

--- Quote from: CLKD on February 14, 2020, 05:38:42 PM ---I agree.  Don't let anyone remove the womb/ovaries   .............   if you are otherwise healthy: and this isn't going to cause cancer: it is your womb!  Is the Consultant working on a private basis, if so I can understand his wanting to remove ....... not that I'm cynical.  :-\. Is it that should a piece be left behind it might cause further problems? 

It is there for a purpose.  OK so that purpose goes away as we age but if it's healthy .......... certainly get other opinions.  If it's large now, although it seems to have been slow growing; why didn't they remove it previously  :-\. 

Hysterectomy is major surgery.  It also brings up hormonal problems which are overlooked by surgeons keen to whip it all out! 

I think there is a group: "Hystersisters" - you might like to ask on there.

--- End quote ---

It's all rather bizarre. I went to see a nurse in January who sent me to a doctor who had a poke around then referred me for the 3rd scan (4yrs after the last one)  There was a male student doing the scan but the lady had a go after him and said I'd get a letter with results in a few weeks. 1 week later I get a phone call from the gynae dept at hospital offering me an appointment with the consultant that day. At this point i was convinced I had cancer (my ex husband died of cancer 2yrs ago so I'm a bit paranoid already) and a bit panicky. A biopsy was mentioned which flipped me out but when i got to the appointment the consultant said there was no need for one but i could have one if i liked (no ta, I've googled them) so he said see how it is in a few months then whip the lot out. I was shocked and cried all the way home. I haven't told anyone yet and I'm glad I didnt as it sounds like I can just leave things as they are and hope it goes away on it's own eventually.
His bedside manner left alot to be desired.

CLKD:
...... and breath!

Make that list: pros and cons of how the fibroid affects you on a daily basis
Have a good browse round the various web-sites - medic lead where possible - make notes.
Pros and cons of surgery: is it necessary; who will look after you post op.; do you feel at this point in time that it will resolve your symptoms; would you prefer to see if a drop of oestrogen will shrink the fibroid

'a few months' - did U get a follow up appt. for the scan? 

See if there is a menopause clinic that you could go to for advice.  Maybe do a 'search'.  Don't go to a gynaecologist, but a reputable clinic that deals with menopause.  Dr Newson for example, I think near Stratford upon Avon.

pants46:
Kg, don't be panicked into making a rash decision.
I have had cancer twice, and when a mass was found near my ovary, I just went into autopilot, got it all removed, then regreted it later. I felt rushed into it and I did no research. I also didn't tell anyone what was going on. Don't be like me !!
You are doing so well to find us here and ask for advice. Get another opinion, at least. Look at medication options to shrink it and remove it. But don't ignore it, hoping it will go away on its own. That's not the right answer either.
xx

CLKD:
Hi pants46!   :thankyou:

I suppose it depends on how the fibroid is 'fixed'?  I imagine that it's on a stalk  ::) so if pulled it may leave problems behind? 

If you aren't in acute pain etc. maybe due lots of research ?  Make notes ;-).

Kg1974:
So can i ask if i might be perimenopausal now.. receding gums, thinning, brittle hair, dizziness, mood swings, forgetfulness, night sweats, elbow pain. Maybe I should get some blood tests done next time I see the doctor about my next scan...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version