Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...

<< < (2/9) > >>

Tinkerbell:
So how do they know that your breat cancer is caused by HRT? I have known four people who had breast cancer and none took HRT.

Sparrow:
The risk of breast cancer in all women is 1 in 8.  Personally I wouldn't take anything that would increase that, even a tiny bit. 

Most women don't use HRT so of course most cancer is found in those that don't take it.  That's a matter of statistics not cause and effect.  And many have cancer before the menopause anyway.

If someone has been advised, by a medical professional,  not to take it because of their particular increased risk, I would never persuade them otherwise.  What a responsibility if they subsequently then developed cancer. I couldn't live with myself.

sheila99:
When a doctor is talking sh*"t I would definitely pont it out. They can tell you there's an increased risk, they can't tell you HRT CAUSED the cancer.
Most of us increase our risk of cancer anyway, too little exercise, polluted environment, overweight, too much processed food etc etc. Many are bigger risk factors than transdermal hrt. Definitely makes sense to check yourself though and have mammograms.

Tinkerbell:
I would never tell anyone they should take HRT it is a very personal choice, but i do get fed up with those who i have met in real life who lecture me about taking HRT but they drink, do no exercise and are overweight, all of which increase breast cancer risk.

CLKD:
Also - until it is proven that HRT is totally responsible for breast cancer then I think that qualify of Life is important. 

I had 3 weeks of HRT years++ ago.  Never associated it with the lump found in the 1990s.  After surgery I was told by 'them', i.e. people that I sort of knew, that by having mammograms every 6 months then annually was putting me at risk.  Well I'm still here >wave<.  We sit at keyboards.  We have TVs lurking in the corner of the room.  Etc.. Etc.. Etc.. .........

It really is a personal choice.  I now get my mammos every 5 years ..........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version