Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just Phoned Novartis Re: Estradot Supply  (Read 264 times)

Lola50

Just Phoned Novartis Re: Estradot Supply
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »

You'll all be happy to hear that Estradot in all strengths is indeed available, and shipments to wholesalers are going out from them weekly. This is GREAT news 

The bad news is that because other products such as Evorel are still unavailable, this is putting a bigger strain on the supply due to demand. Not rocket science I know, but just to let you know ladies to get those prescriptions in early if you can.

Just wish the Evorel situation would get sorted!

Redlocks

Re: Just Phoned Novartis Re: Estradot Supply
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »

Thanks for this update!  :)

Lola50

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

You're welcome.👍 I just wanted to ask them why if they are showing as available on the latest BMS update, are we still having issues actually getting them from pharmacies.

So I'm blaming Evorel for the whole damn thing.....never liked their patches, anyway!🤣

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »

Hi there

I'm really busy right now but just thought I would come on here and share my response from my (prescribing) pharmacist ( who works in my local GP practice dispensary). He phoned to let me know that there were still no Estradot available! He orders meds from the wholesalers and said that (as a result of my request to return to Estradot in my online medication request) he phoned Novartis this morning and there are still very few Estradot patches being supplied into the marketplace.

Apparently a few were released last week (he said 100s but then said 25s??) but there are none at the moment. I didn't want to keep him talking as he would have other patients to sort out so I didn't ask him if he found out when they would be back on track and the reason for the shortage....

He said that Novartis told him they normally keep a back-up supply - something about pharmacies providing supplies on a named patient basis ( don't really understand this re HRT?) - but they don't have this either.

He also said Novartis supply to Alliance which is owned by Boots and he looked online (at Alliance) after discussing with Novartis and they are also showing red ie none.....

Presumably there are still some ( a few boxes?)  somewhere in the supply chain but not consistently.....

So - not good news - for me anyway :( !

Interesting the discrepancy - so unless you're in the pharma business Lola - it looks like they may be giving different info to health professionals/pharmacies, than to patients - depending who you spoke to - or else someone doesn't know what they are talking about ( at Novartis!)? Quite worrying...

Let's hope we get sorted soon....

Hurdity x

Lola50

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »

Hello Hurdity.

I simply phoned Novartis and was put through to customer service. Well worth phoning them yourself, so that you can get the info. 'straight from the horse's mouth', so to speak.

What I was told matches what has been released in the latest update from the BMS, that all patch strengths are currently available.

I was able to get mine from a city branch of Boots.

Rhiner

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »

Hi Lola,
I phoned Novartis several times back in August (as well as contacting the MHRA) and they were saying the same thing then, all their stock was going to the 2 big wholesalers, so their stance has not changed since then. There was some talk about the wholesalers then selling it on for a higher price in other countries but I understand that the MHRA has stopped this practice.
I did manage to get some too albeit with a very short expiry date, but beggars can't be choosers!
Heres hoping it ends soon, if it is the knock on effect of Everol production etc.
Rhiner

Lola50

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »

It absolutely is, Rhiner. Mylan and Janssen seem to be the manufacturers where the biggest problems lie, and that's why Novartis just cannot keep up. The whole Femseven thing has been a long running saga even before all of this of course.

I also read that the MHRA has jumped in to stop this practice now. This year really has been a nightmare, hasn't it?😳

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »

Hello Hurdity.

I simply phoned Novartis and was put through to customer service. Well worth phoning them yourself, so that you can get the info. 'straight from the horse's mouth', so to speak.

What I was told matches what has been released in the latest update from the BMS, that all patch strengths are currently available.

I was able to get mine from a city branch of Boots.

Thanks - but the pharmacist told me he was on the phone to them this morning though so I didn't think I would need to phone them - so I was wondering whether different stories were being given by different departments (at Novartis) - he must have been phoning where he gets the supplies from? I really don't get it!

Rhiner - yes this practice was theoretically stopped in October. Not sure how it is implemented though - presumably the paperwork/papertrail would show if supplies were going outside UK illegally (is it a question of legality?)?

Hurdity x

Lola50

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:20 PM »

Hurdity, have you tried taking your prescription to a larger pharmacy, or is it a logistically difficult for you? I think you've done really well coping with the Estraderm after being used to the Estradot after so long (I've  read back on your posts).😊

I've seen the Estraderm as a consultant had a sample of them a good while back. Goodness me - I really do think that product needs an overhaul! Even the Evorel seem big in comparison to the Estradot's but the Estraderm patches are a bit of a joke nowadays.😳

BeaR

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 12:54:35 AM »

Hi girls,

Novartis is still having supply issues regarding Estradot.

https://psnc.org.uk/dispensing-supply/supply-chain/branded-shortages-list/supply-difficulties-novartis/

BeaR.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »

Thanks bear but if you look at my post, this is the same as I reported from my local pharmacist who contacted Novartis directly (and they supply locally through Alliance).The issue is not whether there are still issues with supply, which there demonstrably are, it is why Novartis told BMS there were no supply issues and more importantly for us, when these will be resolved so that the very patchy and sporadic provision we are experiencing will become resolved. Incidentally there have long been intermittent problems with Estradot going back two or three years .This has been mentioned on the forum and also from time to time mine have been rationed to a month at a time supply. Nothing to do with current shortages but seemingly peculiar to Estradot.

Lola50 - I don't live near large pharmacies, but the issue is still that there is sporadic and intermittent supply becauise my pharmacist phoned Novartis directly and like I reported - some limited quantities of one ( or two?) dose stengths were released onto the market last week.

Hurdity x

Lola50

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »

Hi BeaR.

Just checked the date on the link you posted of the release, and it was dated 13/11/2018!!! So - last year.

So this is well before the date of the latest BMS update, and before I phoned Novartis this week. Things could have well changed since this was published.💜
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:41:22 AM by Lola50 »

BeaR

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »

Hi BeaR.

Just checked the date on the link you posted of the release, and it was dated 13/11/2018!!! So - last year.

So this is well before the date of the latest BMS update, and before I phoned Novartis this week. Things could have well changed since this was published.💜

Hi Lola50,

Yes it's from late 2018 and I suppose you had no trouble getting hold of Estradot back then. You see, the supply chain is long and lengthy and what patients see is just the tip of the iceberg.

According to the latest AAH update all presentations of Estradot, except the 37.5 g, were out of stock as in 4/11/2019 https://www.aah.co.uk/resource/blob/29878/3abc7cc883d638b173deff58aae863e7/stock-bulletin-data.pdf

Fingers crossed they will be available soon at all local pharmacies.

BeaR.

P.S. Unfortunately Alliance doesn't provide these data for public scrutiny, so maybe the Estradot boxes available at some pharmacies have been delivered by them.

Found this http://www.northstaffordshirejointformulary.nhs.uk/docs/dds/Out%20of%20stock%20bulletin-Alliance%20Healthcare%20wc%2024th%20June%202019.pdf?UNLID=1071635466201912512959

'Estradot 37.5g Limited supply ongoing, Limited stock available (24/06/19)'

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:15:30 PM by BeaR »

BeaR

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »

Thanks bear but if you look at my post, this is the same as I reported from my local pharmacist who contacted Novartis directly (and they supply locally through Alliance).The issue is not whether there are still issues with supply, which there demonstrably are, it is why Novartis told BMS there were no supply issues and more importantly for us, when these will be resolved so that the very patchy and sporadic provision we are experiencing will become resolved. Incidentally there have long been intermittent problems with Estradot going back two or three years .This has been mentioned on the forum and also from time to time mine have been rationed to a month at a time supply. Nothing to do with current shortages but seemingly peculiar to Estradot.

Lola50 - I don't live near large pharmacies, but the issue is still that there is sporadic and intermittent supply becauise my pharmacist phoned Novartis directly and like I reported - some limited quantities of one ( or two?) dose stengths were released onto the market last week.

Hurdity x

Hi hurdity,

Yes, there have been small shortages issues for the last 2-3 years, but if you consider that the patches have a 3 year shelf life, the reasons have everything to do with the current shortages. The only difference is that FemSeven had been divested from Teva to Theramex and Evorel and contraceptives produced by Janssen (J&J) have an additional issue with their norethisterone supplier (which by the way is Chinese). The drug tariff price reason also applies to Estradot.

Moreover, Novartis has a history going back to 2007 of supplying directly to pharmacies and the giant wholesalers weren't happy about it, so the situation now is a sort of mix that's quite confusing.

Hope this helps.

BeaR.

Lola50

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »

Thankyou, BeaR.

They supply issues previously were to my knowledge related to issues with quality control, which was the 'official line' back then which temporarily ceased production on a number of occasions.

This whole latest fiasco is another ball game altogether, and I think the only way through is for women to work closely with their GP and pharmacist. The pharmacy I use gets quite a large 'quota' as it's a busy city branch of Boots. I spoke to their head pharmacist there and he knows I am in surgically induced menopause, so tries the best he can to put patches aside as they come in for my prescription. This is not guaranteed though, as there are others in this position of course too. My GP also gives me my prescription early, and my NHS menopause consultant has written me up for 6 months supply at a time which they can do and the GP has to follow this unless they have good reason not to. It means I always usually have an 'owing' on my prescription but usually I have some to hand before more comes in......until recently, when by my own fault I didnt request my prescription early enough as I had been really unwell dealing with my neurological issues (in and out of hospital etc).  This may not always be the case that I am lucky at all, but fingers crossed going forward things are going to improve somewhat (although I think not until Evorel becomes available again).

As I posted, when I spoke to Novartis they told me stock is going out weekly of all patch strengths from them to the wholesaler but supply is simply being outstripped by demand at the moment due to the knock on effects of supply with the other HRT products.

I'm taking their word for it, as I don't like to think they are telling customer's fibs. I spoke to their Senior Customer Services Manager. Maybe give them a call if you feel like it and ask to speak to them, and see if you get the same info.😊👍💜
Pages: [1] 2