Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Itching skin end of tether  (Read 1066 times)

CLKD

Re: Itching skin end of tether
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »

Hi plum - slarring ready made porridge would be a bit messy ?  ;) apparently they do have soothing properties.  'Lavera' ? from the laverera plant? i.e. mallow?

I have a Very Long Back Scratcher made of ivory, with long fingers - works a treat ;-). I have another by the bed, made of olive wood - that works well too.
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Tc

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »

I think I have seen a lotion made with oats.
Phenegran. Yes it is a travel sickness pill as well. My doc said they do not prescribe more than a weeks worth of sleeping pills.
He said it's either gabapentin which I can't take or phenegran..

Joaniepat

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »

I think I have seen a lotion made with oats.

Aveeno is probably the one. Their products contain colloidal oatmeal, and most are unscented too. I have sensitive skin and get on well with their stuff.

JP x

Stellajane

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »

Me too - I love Aveeno.

Tc

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »

Yes aveeno oatmeal. Just looked it up and Superdrug have got it on offer at mo

I just remembered my mum's friend used to get it on prescription but they stopped it last year when they took loads of items off prescription.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »

Oh we are a Mine of Info on here   :-*
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Aby123

• First Flush
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »

I havent had time to read all the replies (sorry) but I also had horrendous itchy skin.  The only thing that worked for me was Doublebade Gel, from behind the counter in tne pharmacy. It cured it within days, and I always have it at home, just in case!!!!
I had tried loads and loads of other things, but this one actually worked.
A life lived in fear is a life half lived
Striclty Ballroom 💃

Stellajane

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »

Ooh that's a new one on me. Great if you have a localised patch which is itching regularly.

The trouble is when you have the type of itch where you never know which part of the body will be itching at any given time applying any kind of cream or gel doesn't hit the spot. 

When I get my itchy attacks its on the move constantly (histamine release)  - so I have to use a systemic remedy.

Birdy

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »

It is caused by devlin8ng oestrogen. It has a name but canít remember it.

NettyJay

• First Flush
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »

I've had terrible itching - all my moles (they take turns), my nipples, (happy days). I have always had extremely dry skin and lack of oestrogen has made it worse. Doctor recommended Double Base and collagen supplements and they seem to be working. It's also (with me) at times psychological. If I think about it, I start itching. I went for a really long country walk with my friend yesterday. We were chatting away and I suddenly realised that I hadn't scratched once... then I started itching!! The central heating doesn't help... Hope you find some relief.

clio51

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »

Hi all

Last night itching was horrendous  :'(
I was fine whilst downstairs watching tv, the moment I got in bed within 5 mins it was off.
I threw duvet off, as once I start to itch(resisting) my blood feel very hot !!!
I took anti histamine straight away but it did nothing.
I was tossing and turning all night, duvet on duvet off. Hardly any sleep, so so tired and heightened anxiety

I even bought that new okeefeís itch skin cream, which I again put on after shower this morning really rubbing it in so I wasnít thinking ďbody damp stillĒ within 5 min I could feel it building up.
Gp gave me certizine last time
So if it starts again today anytime Iím taking one, if it starts tonight Iím taking one
I canít have another night like last night.

Stellajane

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »

Clio - the method I was given by a consultant is this.

Take 2 x 10mgs Cetirizine at bedtime and in the morning for as long as it takes to get the itch under control. When controlled stay on that dose for 2 weeks then gradually start to taper back 1 dose per day at a time. If it flares up again, you up the dosage again.

You may be like me and need to take 1 Cetirizine every day routinely. Its all about keeping an adequate level of antihistamine in the bloodstream.

The heat in bed and from the water in the shower is aggravating it.

I know what you're going through. Try not to scratch with your fingernails though or you'll end up bruised and scratched all over.

clio51

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »

Thanks Stella  :)
Will try that tonight bedtime

But I can get it whilst sat watching tv sometimes? Then I dread going to bed because I know what Iím in for a sleepless night

I never have hot shower and always run the cold over me for few secs after
They say itís good for anxiety?

Yer get the donít scratch thing
Because Iíve been left with some whopping bruises
Black!!!

Stellajane

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »

I know its truly horrible. I understand that "oh no its bedtime" feeling!

I usually get a very bad itching spell any time now once the tree pollens start so will be upping my Cetirizine to 2 daily from next week to try and head it off!  Sometimes I'm successful other times not.

My next vulnerable spell is around early May when I start to react to any exposure to the first Spring sunshine which is apparently particularly strong. Fortunately as summer goes on I seem to acclimatise and it eases off.

Other times I'll just start to itch for no particular reason. Extreme cold and heat can both set me off.

I try to be disciplined re scratching but its hugely difficult during the night. Occasionally I just let out a roar and have a mad scratching session because I simply can't bear it any longer - sometimes it just has to be done!

Have you had any blood tests?  I only tested positive in allergy tests to regular grass pollen and shouldn't in theory be affected by anything else! I do have an underactive thyroid but I've been on medication for that for years and it's never done anything to improve my itchiness. My GP calls me "the itchy lady" lol. He seems unconcerned though does acknowledge it can be very distressing. I do think there's some degree of hormonal connection.

When taking the larger doses of Cetirizine do watch out for any signs of sleepiness if you're going to be driving - and take some water to bed with you as you may get very thirsty!
Pages: 1 [2]