Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Shingles  (Read 13546 times)

jaycee

Shingles
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »

Has anyone any experience of Shingles,i have just been diagnosed with it, after coming out in huge red itchy lumps, i did wonder about shingles, but the pictures i looked at didnt look like my rash
However they are now blistering, he has given me antvirals, but what can i do about the pain and stinging.
I hope someone can give me some advice,Dr said calamine lotion. but the chemist said not to until blisters have dried up
Finding it difficult to sleep or get comfortable at any time

Shadyglade

Re: Shingles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »

Hi Jaycee

You need teangi cream.  It is basically tree tree and witch hazel with zinc.  I use if all the time for everything.  I gave my sister a tube when she had shingles and it worked better than the cream her DIL gave her (and she is a nurse).  It's made by Lanes, so if you go to their website you can order some (it is not sold in shops).

I will PM you the web link

Shadyglade
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:03:14 AM by Shadyglade »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »

You can buy Virasoothe from Chemists it is for chicken pox but might be worth asking if that could be used.

Also remember to avoid anybody who hasn't had chickenpox.

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »

Thank you so much, will have a look at PM and link and send for some, cant believe how painful it is
I am hoping someone will tell me how long it last for, i know it can vary, but hoping its not too long

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »

Thank you too Tinkerbell, i will look into that too, my Dr said it is only contagious if i touch someone or they touch me when i have touched my rash

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »

The medication that your GP has prescribed should be given within 72 hours of noting the rash/spots/blothces.  Have a talk with a Pharmacist about the best pain relief and how much you are able to take.  You may find the effects last for a while which is why it is important to have good pain relief. 

SHINGLES IS NOT CONTAGIOUS!!!!!  it is due to being in contact with someone who has chickenpox, which is the same virus. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »

From the NHS-web-site

Causes of shingles
Most people have chickenpox in childhood, but after the illness has gone the varicella-zoster virus remains inactive (dormant) in the nervous system.
The immune system keeps the virus in check, but it can be reactivated later in life and cause shingles.
It's possible to have shingles more than once, but it's very rare to get it more than twice.

It's not known exactly why the shingles virus is reactivated at a later stage in life, but most cases are thought to be caused by having lowered protection against infections and diseases (immunity).

This may be the result of:
old age – as you age, your immunity may decrease; shingles most commonly occurs in people over the age of 70
physical and emotional stress – the chemicals released by your body when you're stressed can prevent your immune system working properly

HIV and AIDS – people with HIV are much more likely to get shingles than the rest of the population because their immune system is weak

recently having a bone marrow transplant – the conditioning you require before the transplant weakens your immune system

recently having an organ transplant – you may need to take medication to suppress your immune system so your body accepts the donated organ
chemotherapy – chemotherapy medication, often used to treat cancer, can temporarily weaken your immune system
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:08:31 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »

from the NHS web-site:

Is shingles contagious?

It's not possible to catch shingles from someone with the condition or from someone with chickenpox.

However, you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles if you haven't had chickenpox before, but this is uncommon.

The blisters of shingles contain live virus. If a person who has never had chickenpox makes direct contact with an open blister or something with the fluid on it, they can contract the virus and develop chickenpox.

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:13:38 PM »

I havent been in contact with anyone with chickenpox, was told by the Dr,that you can only pass it on if someone actually touches my rash,or i touch someone after touching my rash , and its most likely stress related,which would fit in my case,had a very stressful 2017,
As the virus lives in the base of the spine and is activated by most likely a stressful event
I found the rash on monday and went to the Dr yesterday when i realised it could be shingles,he said i had seen him early on so gave me the antvirals
I dont feel ill, but had a very bad headache today, and wateryeyes
Also taking ibuprofen and paracetamol
I asked about the vaccination, as i only heard about it recently,hr said i was the wrong age
After looking it up, i cant have it until i am 78,which is ridiculous,it said people can have it at 70  the next age is 78. doesnt make sense
Another search said everyone over 60 should have it
When my sister had it she had to ask for it, Drs dont tell you like they do about the flu one,

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »

Woke up in agony this morning, had 2 400mg ibuprofen, with my antivirals,
I hope it doesnt get any worse than this, and doesnt last too long, also using spray virasoothe,

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »

Who told you that the virus lives in the base of the spine which is enclosed  :-\.  OK so I went on a search, as you do  ::):

If you have had chickenpox the virus that caused it may live on afterwards in a dormant state in the nerves linked to your spinal cord. If the virus becomes active again, it will multiply and move along the nerve fibres to the area of skin supplied by those nerves; shingles then appears in this area. About 20% of people who have had chickenpox will have an attack of shingles later in life. [interesting!  I learn something new about herpes every time I read about it!]

Shingles is not caught from someone who has shingles, but follows an earlier attack of chickenpox. However, a person with shingles can infect someone who has never had chickenpox, causing an attack of chickenpox but not shingles.

It will be painful for a few days .......... and the nerve endings may well aggravate with painful spasms for a while after the rash has gone away.

NHS advice It's not possible to catch shingles from someone with the condition or from someone with chickenpox. However, you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles if you haven't had chickenpox before, but this is uncommon. The blisters of shingles contain live virus.

Are the shingles contagious?
Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer infectious. Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered. ... Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of varicella zoster virus.

To activate shingles the immune system has to be stressed, both Mum and MinL developed it at different times, both after a heavy fall.  About 3-4 weeks following their accidents.  A friend had it continuously during chemo therapy, in that after the initial rash the nerve ends were burning. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:08:14 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »

From a US-based site:

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can spread from a person with active shingles to cause chickenpox in someone who had never had chickenpox  or received chickenpox vaccine.

The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters caused by shingles.

A person with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before the blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer infectious.

Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered.

If you have shingles, you should:

Cover the rash.

Avoid touching or scratching the rash.

Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of varicella zoster virus.

Avoid contact with the people below until your rash has developed crusts
pregnant women who have never had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine;

premature or low birth weight infants;

and
people with weakened immune systems, such as people receiving immunosuppressive medications or undergoing chemotherapy, organ transplant recipients, and people with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

Are you keeping a note on how much pain relief meds you are actually taking and when?

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »

Only just seen all these replies, and have kept checking,i knew the shingles virus [herpes zoster] was dormant in the base of the spine, as i had bells palsy about 15 years ago and that is from the same source,and was told then
My Dr told me again this time, everyone carries but it lies dormant until its activated, often by stress
I have had a very stressful year  one way or another,
As for painkillersi kist take when it gets painful an ibuprofen and a paracetamol,

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »

How R U this morning, any relief yet?

Interesting thread though sorry that you are suffering  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4