Forum Guide and News > Events

World Menopause day 2015 and NICE

(1/4) > >>

Emma:
World Menopause day 2015 and NICE

Exciting times! First ever NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guideline on Diagnosis and Management of Menopause is due for publication mid-November 2015. This is a fantastic opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of the menopause, and to provide women and healthcare professionals with appropriate information and support.

Get involved by following us on twitter @menomatters

Celebrate World Menopause Day on Sunday 18th October 2015 - we are all important and our menopause is an important part of the rich tapestry of our lives! Manage your menopause in whatever way suits you, but don't suffer in silence.
We are here to help.

Regards,
The Menopause Matters Forum Team.

Emma:
An American study out today (19 Oct 2015) confirms the safety of HRT, with beneficial effects being shown in women who continued taking HRT for many years.
Menopause Matters news item:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=164/Safety-of-HRT

The Telegraph: Ignore health scares, HRT is safe, say scientists:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11938763/Ignore-health-scares-HRT-is-safe-say-scientists.html

Emma:
Dr. Currie's own story in the Scottish Daily Mail

Frontpage:
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20151019

Article:
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20151019/281625304147902/TextView

Dancinggirl:
I am thrilled to hear we are finally getting some positive findings from studies.  Sadly so many women are either denied HRT due to perceived risks, taken off HRT after 5 years and following all the scares many women are too frightened to use HRT. If you actually read the leaflets for many over the counter medicines (and many of us don't) it is enough to frighten most people. With more women demanding to use HRT for longer periods due to the benefits, I'm sure more positive evidence will emerge - I believe such studies are ongoing. There has always been too much emphasis on the risks and dangers of HRT and not enough about the benefits - all drugs have risks, smoking and too much alcohol is more risky, life is risky but 'quality of life' is very important.
Of course not all will need or even want to use HRT and some side effects can be bothersome but at 59 I am still using HRT and now hope I can continue for many years to come.  Having tried to be without HRT I can honestly say HRT does improve my quality of life in so many ways, enabling me to continue to work and enjoy life to the full. I really urge all those women who struggle with meno symptoms to seek help - with these new studies showing such benefits we will hopefully see a real change in the way the menopause is viewed and more women empowered to find the right way forward for them and not suffer in silence.   
Really looking forward to seeing the new NICE recommendations - hope they pave the way for a positive future.
DG x

Hurdity:
Thanks Emma for posting all of this - we are all looking forward to seeing the NICE guidelines published and the much needed recommendations to GPs.

Great post Dancinggirl - I agree with everything you say.

Prajna - what's not scientific? It is a study providing evidence. It is important to publish all such studies which contribute to the body of data that exists.

If you look at the Menopause Matters News section (the first of Emma's links) it says this: "The study followed up women who took HRT and compared various outcomes with those in women not taking HRT. While the number of women was small in both groups, this study adds further to studies over recent years that have shown that, when used appropriately, HRT provides more benefits than risks."

Dr Currie herself said this (4th link - Scottish Daily Mail):
[Dr Currie] “ has welcomed the new research, despite noting that it was based on a small sample. This adds to the strength of evidence that HRT is not harmful, while it can also be good for your heart and for your bones. I want women like me to make their decision [to take HRT] based on the evidence, and not exaggerated risks.”

I think that speaks for itself.

I hope everyone who is worried is a bit more reassured by this new research  :)

Hurdity x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version