Menopause Discussion > Personal Experiences

How I improved my itchy skin

(1/1)

Valkyrie:
Hi all, my itchy skin started about three months ago and I had no idea what it was. I only found out via Google! Why don't doctors tell you this? Anyway, I read that the skin gets dryer as you go through the menopause, which I have been aware of over the years anyway. I thought that as I'm not a greasy, sweaty youngster any more, do I really need to use soap when I shower? So I decided to use a gentle soap on my top and tail (armpits and unmentionables!) as they do need a deeper clean. I use Femfresh as it's gentle and pH balanced. An unscented soap or shower gel like the Simple range would be good too. I use Cetraben cream generally as it's unscented and very thick. I decided to try using it as a cleanser rather than soap. I rub it in gently all over in the shower on wet skin and then rinse off. I dab with a towel when I dry, rather than rub, and apply more Cetraben while my skin is still damp. Any good unscented cream would be OK, like E45 or Aqueous Cream, but Cetraben doesn't smell much. Safety tip: do use a shower mat!!! The floor of the shower will get a bit slippery. I also shave my legs with the cream, mixed with water, and it's gentler on my skin than shaving with soap. I must admit I've experienced a significant improvement in my itching. I do use Femfresh all over about every third wash as the cream builds up on my skin.

My symptoms have also been improved with herbal treatment. I see a wonderful, fully-qualified medical herbalist in Buckingham: Clementine Blandin, a lovely French lady, and she's amazing. Don't treat yourself or see just anybody! Herbs can be harmful if you don't know what you're doing. Contact the National Institute of Medical Herbalists for members: http://www.nimh.org.uk/

I do still get itching which worsens from time to time, but it's generally vastly improved.

I hope all this helps you.

Love Alexxx  :-*

Dancinggirl:
Lovely post Valkyrie. Some great tips in there.  I too use Femfresh for intimate areas as anything else gives me problems. 
I've recently discovered Neutrogena body moisturiser which comes in a sensitive unscented version - the bottle has a pump action(like you get with hand washes) which makes it really easy to measure out doses (so many bottles involve unscrewing or flipping tops and squeezing or shaking contents out). This goes on really nicely and absorbs well.  I've always found their hand cream really great - as a keen gardener my hands tend to be a disaster area and develop cracks on the tips of my fingers if I don't use it. This body moisturiser seems to give all the same benefits and isn't sticky - not expensive either!!!!!
DG x

Valkyrie:
Thanks DG. I don't go anywhere without Neutrogena concentrated hand cream. A marvellous product. I'll have a look at the whole Neutogena range.

XXX

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version