Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Hormone patches - Elleste Solo 80 microgram

(1/1)

twig:
Hi there I'm wondering what your experiences are of this form of HRT. About ten years ago I had a mirena coil inserted for heavy periods. This has been updated with a new one. Since the first coil was inserted my periods have stopped. Then, about five years ago I was prescribed hrt in the form of elleste solo patches as I was feeling unwell and a blood test revealed low oestrogen levels. Since Christmas,  I have increasingly felt unwell again eg extreme fatigue and lethargy, erratic moods and more frequent periods of low mood. I'm 51, normal weight and usually active. I know I  need to get an appointment to see my doctor (easier said than done) but any comments gratefully received. :'(

Hurdity:
Hi Twig  :welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are feeling low more frequently.

The problem with the Mirena is because it stops the periods you can't tell when you are reaching menopause so it could well be that you are post-menopausal or nearly so, and your oestrogen levels have dropped further.

However if you have fatigue then I would suggest you get a blood test - if not done so already, because low thyroid function can cause this and some women experience this around the time of menopause.

What is your diet like too? Some vitamin deficiencies lead to tiredness -, but this is unlikely if you eat mainly fresh food cooked from basic ingredients, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, fish, dairy, nuts, pulses, grains etc. Iron deficiency can lead to anaemia and tiredness.

Also testosterone declines with age and this can contribute to fatigue although this is not widely tested for nor recognised.

I presume you have the Mirena renewed every 4 years since starting added oestrogen as it is only licensed for endometrial protection as part of HRT for this length of time?

Maybe also you have developed sensitivity to the progestogen in the Mirena or maybe absorbing more into your system as time has gone by? Perhpas if you are now post-menopause or nearly so, then you could try a different progestogen - provided you don't encounter further bleeding problems.

I would make that appointment and have a good MOT - and if no other cause can be determined I would suggest perhaps think about increasing your patch to 100 mcg and see if that helps?

I hope these ideas are helpful and good luck!

Hurdity x

twig:
Thanks very much for your advice. As you say, I think the best plan would be to have a good mot.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version