Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Want to stop HRT and do this naturally....advice?  (Read 11816 times)

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Want to stop HRT and do this naturally....advice?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »

THANKS tovahfell- keep posting.
I'm dropping oestrogel down this week and reducing even further next week before coming off completely. Must admit, I feel like a wet weekend so far...

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »

I'm inspired by this thread. I'm going cold turkey for a bit. I worry about osteoporosis - in the family, and I have osteopenia - but I just need a break and to see how I feel without the mirena in.

I would love to go naturally through this if I could. I wish every woman could

br350

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »

Noheroicsplease, best of luck if you try.  I have no idea whether it will work out for me in the long run to stay off of it.  But for me, I'd rather approach it from lifestyle (diet, exercise, sleep, adrenal health, watch thyroid, etc).  Everyone has their own way and their own preferences.  There is also the very low dose patch (0.025) that is used for bone health only.  You could consider that if you cannot do other things to offset the ostopenia.   I think some of that is hereditary?  A good friend of mine has very 'strong bones' in her family.  Her mother is in her 70's, never touched HRT and was told at her last bone scan that she has the skeleton of a 20 year old!  :o And she does not exercise - so go figure!  Best of luck and let us know how you do!  :)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »

It is heredity to a certain extent - worryingly so...

What is the low dose patch you speak of? Oestrogen only? So I would have to take progesterone...

I have a very healthy lifestyle, which I rely on. I'd also try chinese herbs again if I had to.

Oh, I don't know. I have no idea what shit storm of symptoms are ahead of me!

br350

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »

noheroicsplease, In the U.S. there are several that are 0.025 or 0.020 patches.  I believe one is called Menostar.  The other is called Minivelle.  Both are estradiol patches with the indication for bone protection solely.  So they probably wouldn't stop hot flashes, etc.  I am sure these types of patches must be available (different manufacturers) in the UK as well.  I am tempted to consider one down the line.   And from what I hear, you would only need to use progesterone maybe once every 3 months at the most (a 10 or 14-day course) due to how low an estradiol level these patches produce in the body.  Likely one could opt to have a womb scan yearly as an alternative to be sure lining is not thickened.  But clearly it would need to be discussed with the prescribing GP.  I hope that helps!  I am trying to not anticipate bad things in terms of symptoms.  I find it's better to just plough ahead, go about life and not focus on it.  I hope you do well and feel well - sound like you are taking very good care of yourself!!  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:42:45 PM by TovahFell »

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »

Thanks Tovah! I like your style.

br350

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »

;)  :thankyou:

Tempest

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »

I'm wishing all you lovey ladies the very best of luck who are stopping HRT. :)

For me, and having no ovaries, it's not doable at this time of my life as much as I wish it were. It took just over 3 months to hit absolute rock bottom, and its no fun at all. I thought I could go back to how I felt 1 year post surgery (which was ok) but a lot has obviously changed in my body since then.

Take it very steady, and do remember to rest as well as exercising etc. Your adrenals need it as they are going to have to take over where the HRT left off to a large extent, as hormone production shifts to the adrenals as ovarian hormone production declines.

Much love to all of you! xxxxx

br350

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »

Thank you Tempest for your kind message. I think having no ovaries makes for a different circumstance entirely, and can see why you'd need some replacement.  I hope it works for you!  I wish you the best with your HRT journey!!  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:00:39 PM by TovahFell »

Tempest

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »

Thank you so much, Tovah! :thankyou: xxxxx

br350

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »

So, I had my yearly GYN appt with a new practitioner (my former GYN retired - he was a gem) and she advised I not stop until the summer is over because the high heat/humidity we've been having.  She said it would be much easier on my body to wait a few months until the fall weather/cooler temperatures.  At that point, I can start cutting the patch or drop down to the next one (which is the very lowest available).

She was phenomenal. I've not had a female practitioner in ages.  She is maybe 10 years older than me and said she's been through it all and is sympathetic.  I felt that she had a very thorough knowledge about HRT, the history of its use and all the issues surrounding recommendations for using/not using it based on both past and and more recent studies of HRT use.  All in all, she was a delight to dialogue with. 

So for now, after really having a good think on her recommendation, I will remain using the patch and revisit in a couple of months.  I will be glad when i finally transition off of it though.  The progesterone part is just...ugh.

weathergirl

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »

I wanted to update this thread (formerly br350).  After the appt., I went down to the 0.025 patch as the manufacturer was out of stock on the 0.0375 until Aug/Sept!  They couldn't say why, but I had several pharmacies trying to source that strength patch and none could get it.  So I went down to 0.025.

So far it's been fine.  Minimal, if any hot flashes.  This surprised me since this patch is only indicated for bone health and not symptom relief.  It's a tiny dose.  I am still using natural progesterone, 200mg x 10 days every 5 weeks or so.  I think that's a lot of progesterone for such a tiny amount of estradiol but it is what it is.  I do not even get a bleed.  Just a tiny bit of brownish spotting for a day or two at the very most. 

I've noticed that my breasts are definitely looser and my sleep is not as good.  But I cannot complain at all compared to what some of you have experienced (heart goes out to those having a rough time!).   I just wanted to update this thread as I know many people comment and then not update a thread and I am always curious how people get on.

Hope everyone is doing okay!

Hurdity

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

Thanks for the update weathergirl and to hear how you are doing on the 25 mcg patch. Hopefully your symptoms will not get any worse....and if so this will be reassuring to others. Some women do seem to be fine on this dose and especially when later in menopause. Also to say that in UK only a 50 mcg patch or higher is licensed for treatment/prevention of osteoporosis although lower doses do give some protection.

I know the looser breast feeling - mine were completely floppy without HRT!

One day I might also try to reduce again but I'm doing OK at the moment (apart from the dreaded prog!)  ::)

Hurdity x

weathergirl

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!!  :) Yes the 0.025 patch is licensed in the US for bone protection only. The distinction being that it will not increase bone, but will stop additional loss. So you will stay at whatever bone density level you're at when you started that patch. Certainly higher dose patches provide additional bone benefits but
I am okay staying at this low dose - at lest for now.  ;)

I'm very much hoping to stay at the 0.025, but will not rule out bumping back up if I really need to. I wouldn't have gone down to this lowest patch yet if the 0.0375 had not gone out of stock.

I don't mind the loose breasts as they are so small, I'm fortunate they don't sag. One tiny silver lining to a minimal bust! LOL! xxxxx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]