Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VA - change in severity linked to geographic area?  (Read 4332 times)

Dorothy

VA - change in severity linked to geographic area?
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

Can anyone throw any light on this?  Two years ago, I had mild VA symptoms which were not being treated as my GP didn't believe that was what it was.  I moved from Wiltshire to Wales and within weeks, the symptoms became so bad I was having trouble walking.  My new GP prescribed Ovestin and this eased the symptoms, though it didn't go away entirely.

In October, I moved to Yorkshire.  Within a couple of weeks, I realised my VA was hardly bothering me at all.  Then it flared up really badly when I returned to Wales for Christmas.  At the time, I put it down to the fact that I was doing a lot of driving, catching up on various friends and relatives, and I thought all that sitting had made it worse.  It was fine within 48 hours of moving back to Yorkshire.

I've just come down to Wales again to help my mother move house.  This time, I've mostly been around the house or doing short local drives.  Within 48 hours of coming down here, the VA flared up again and is now really uncomfortable! 

This might sound daft, but do you think the water could have anything to do with it?  My diet is unchanged, I'm not using any different shower products, and I cant' think of anything else that could cause the changes so quickly.  I hope not, as I really hate my life in Yorkshire and am longing to move back south...but I don't want to feel this sore for the rest of my life!  Any ideas?

dangermouse

Re: VA - change in severity linked to geographic area?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:49 PM »

How bizarre!

Why don't you drink only bottled water to see if anything changes.

I suppose the other thing could be links with yeast, molds and allergies that certain areas air quality may trigger.

Really interesting though.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:20:54 PM »

Wondering if it might be the water I wash with as well.  But yes, I could try bottled water next time and see if it makes a difference!

Jenna

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »

That is very intriguing, Dorothy. Are some of those areas soft water and the others hard? That's all I can think of really.

I did move from a soft water area to a hard water area and my VA did get worse (in that it affected more of the vulva, rather than just the vaginal area), and I just put that down to the passage of time and less oestrogen in the body, but it does make you wonder!

It would be interesting to know whether the other VA ladies live in hard or soft water areas!

Incidentally, I just mentioned this to my husband and he suggested that it could be what is added to the water e.g. fluoride. If only we knew!

I hope these thoughts might help, Dorothy! Please let us know if you arrive at any conclusions, as this is very interesting.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »

Which Water Authorities cover the areas?

We are in a hard water area and my symptoms are controlled with Ovestin.  Do you wear panty liners because they will encourage symptoms, especially if you are sitting a lot more.

Flouride is in such small amounts it is unlikely to make any difference! 

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:02:16 AM »

I'm in a hard water area and although vagifem is doing its work internally I am getting increasingly more uncomfortable externally

I've just ordered YES oil based VM to see if it works better than Sylk

Elizabethrose

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »

Hard water here, very hard!!!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

!?! Sparkle ?!? get it sorted sooner rather than later, 4 me it felt like razor blades up there!  Had my GP not been on the ball I wouldn't have been able to move  :o.

I will be keeping an eye on how I am when we begin travelling round the UK - if I remember I will report back if I notice a difference.  Soft water areas don't need as much washing powder to get a good froth going and when I'm at Mum's I never feel really clean ... even though we are in the same Water Authority area  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »

PHEW!  I'm not keeping up am I  ::) [meno brain again].  So why wait?

Menomale

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »

I was wondering if the soft water here can be a good thing  ??? Even with little amounts of washing products, there is so much froth!

What is the average age for vaginal atrophy to start? Or does it vary widely?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »

One can't alter one's piped water make-up, it depends on what it leaches through from the sky on it's way to the bed rock.  Also whether it is held in natural acquafers (SP?) or reservoirs.  [reminds me of the stallactites/mites in the caves which R dripping with water through limestone].

Menomale

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »

Filters...

My question is just regarding vaginal atrophy... Is living in a place with soft water, piped or from natural reservoirs (I've lived in both) good for NOT having vaginal atrophy or at least for delaying its onset? (hence the other question about the average age of VA onset)

dangermouse

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »

In case it is hard water-linked, you can buy quite cheaply those electromagnetic gadgets where you wrap the wires around the inlet water pipe and the magnet attracts the calcium away from entering the hot water supply. Really good for washing machines and scale that builds up on taps and toilets, mine were so much better when I used them.

I had to stop using mine though as I have very fine hair and need hard calcium to thicken it - but for most it will improve your skin and hair too!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »

:-\

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »

Wiltshire was a hard water area, Welsh water tends to be softer and judging by the way my kettle furs up, I think Yorkshire Water is hard too - so if it IS the water, it would seem that soft water is worse for you than hard?!!!  Just got back to Yorkshire, so will see how I am tomorrow!
Pages: [1] 2