Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: advice needed please.  (Read 1618 times)

wiggles99

advice needed please.
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

Hi there, been in and out of these forums for a few years and they give me so much help.
Haven't had a period for over a year now, but am still getting hot flushes at night, not so bad that I have to change the bed sheets, nor me sweating, just to throw the duvet off.
I sometimes can go for weeks or months without any menopause symptoms, then out of the blue they start, it is though my levels are gradually dropping then they level out again, then the cycle begins again.
I feel tearful, agitated, breathless, sad.  I get terrible shooting pains all over my body which last only second. I can get a pain anywhere in my body which may last a few days. Feeling overwhelmed too.
Please does anyone else feel like this……………

Dancinggirl

Re: advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

Hi wiggles99 and welcome to mm
I understand that it takes roughly 2 years after the last period for the oestrogen levels to bottom out - so what you are describing is very likely to do with this gradual decline. Unfortunately for some women the meno symptoms can really rank up as one gets deeper into meno, so flushes etc can increase.   The timescale for flushes etc varies greatly and can be from 2-7 years on average.
Aches, pains and low mood are very common and feeling breathless is also typical.  Have a really good look at the your lifestyle - getting the diet and exercise regime in order (plenty of brisk walking can be great)  can really help and then possibly consider trying some HRT to also help calm everything down.  Sometimes just a low dose of HRT for a few years can make a real difference - it's not delaying things but easing your through a tricky time. HRT for 5 years in our 50s will protect the heart and bones for the longer term.
Browse around the site to get clued up - print stuff off to discuss with your GP if need be. You have options and treatments available.
DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:59:33 PM »

Hello wiggles99 and welcome to the forum.

I think your symptoms will resonate with many of the ladies here. I can particularly relate to feeling overwhelmed by it all! 

You have come to the right place for support and guidance, you are certainly not alone.

Take care.

K.

EllaM

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

Hello from me too Wiggles.

I can totally sympathise with you as I too have many months where things settle then flare up to the point that I feel so ill I think I'm dying. Like you I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment as I have been on sick leave since the end of Nov with only the odd day or two of relief.

If you haven't yet tried HRT then this may be the way forward for you as you are post menopause and there should be fewer fluctuations to complicate things.

I hope you find some relief and can take comfort from the fact that you are not alone.

Marie xx