Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hi, new to forum  (Read 1481 times)

Sera

Hi, new to forum
« on: February 21, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »

Hi, I have found the info on MM really helpful, but could really do with a bit of advice on side effects of the HRT that I am on, as I think the progesterone phase patch is having adverse effects, which I am stuggling with. I was a bit nervous about posting on the forum but have found posts from other ladies really helpful, and a much welcomed source of info. After a terrible winter last year, hot flushes, very very low mood and irregular, heavy periods( have had for while, previously investigated-ultra sound- just put down to how it is with ) I aksed GP for a blood test and she confirmed I had started the change. ( I had a mirena coil for the year before to deal with the periods but had it removed due to side effects- a few months before) I am 49, and my GP offered me HRT, I opted for patches and began with Evoril 50 but after 5 months changed to FemSeven Sequi 50/10 as Evoril had caused me a lot of PMT type symptons bloating, sore breasts, anxiety, headaches, mood swings, and I still had heavy periods. On Femseven sice July,  I am not having a period every month but they continue to be very heavy when I have them, and I have noticed an increase in anxiety, very low mood especially in the levonorgestral phase 2 of the patches. May be unrelated but I have devloped very painful TMD joint disorder, and during the progesterone phase of HRT I find myself clenching my jaws at night more than usual, and realised when referred to dental specilaist that the condt had really got worse since I started HRT, could there be a connection?  I would like to try another form of HRT with a better tolerated type of progesterone, and woud really welcome some advice. opps I have written rather a lot for my first post  :) and am not sure if this is the right place to post this topic. Hello :)     

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, new to forum
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »

:welcomemm:  in a rush but didn't want you to think there's no one home  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »

Hello Sera

:welcomemm: from me too! Hey don't be nervous (actually I was when i first joined some years ago now  ::) ) and do not worry about where to post - this is just the right place for a new member to say hello!

Femseven has the same progestogen in it as the Mirena and probably absorbed by approx the same amounts into your system - so the side effects may well be similar. With Mirena the side effects if you get them could be present all the time, unless you eventually tolerated them - but with Femseven they are present cyclically.

Many women have problems with the synthetic progestogens. It's tricky to know what to advise in your case - for heavy bleeding Mirena or the Pill are really the best solutions but if you can't cope with the synthetic progestogens then I'm not sure what to suggest. There is a Pill called QLAIRA which is similar to HRT (the oestrogen is anyway) but has a different progestogen which may be better tolerated - and would control your cycle/should ease the bleeding.

Other than that you could take separate oestrogen ( patch or gel) with progesterone - either utrogestan - and a larger dose might be necessary to control bleeding, or Provera - which some women tolerate better.

Have a look at the top Menu - Treatments/HRT preparations which lists all the different types and do ask if you need any more help.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »

Hi Sera.

Good advice from Hurdity.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Sera

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »

Thank you for the welcomes  :) :) :) and thanks so much Hurdity for this very welcome advice, after another exhausting night, its welcome. I will have a read off Treatments/HRT preparations.  :) Thanks to reading another post I watched The Inisders Guide to The Menopuase last night, and found it a really helpful, and made me more determined to find HRT that works better for me. Thanks for the advice  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:21:12 AM by Sera »