Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi Ladies. I need help. New to HRT  (Read 1178 times)

Julesarx

Hi Ladies. I need help. New to HRT
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »

Hello ladies

I'm 46 in April and now need the help of HRT 🙄.. I have Evorel Sequi Patches which Im told to start on the 1st day of my period. I'm sure like yourselves dread every month and dread of being so low and completely out of character as I do every month and have been like this for 3 years 😞 My question is.... am I able to put the patches on before my period starts about a week before as that's when I hit rock bottom. Even though the dr said to do on period, will it matter if earlier?
 I'm actually so scared of feeling like this again.
Jules xxx

Taz2

Re: Hi Ladies. I need help. New to HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »

Hi Julesarx - welcome to the forum.

Sorry that you have been having a tough time of it but I think you should stick the the doctor's advice as to when the start the patches. Are your main symptoms feeling low or do you have others such as hot flushes, vaginal dryness etc?

You will find loads of help and advice on here and someone else will be along soon with their own thoughts on this I'm sure. HRT can take up to three months to really kick in properly so you may not get a quick fix for the low mood so don't despair and think that it wont work for you if things take longer.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

Hi Julesarx and welcome to MM
Taz2 is right - I'd stick with your doctors advice.
If you are still getting quite regular periods, then starting the patches early might throw your cycle out a bit and possibly cause erratic bleeding.  I would wait the week and start as your doctor has said to keep things in sync. 
HRT can take a few weeks to settle and if it's mainly low mood that is bothering you then that can take longer to sort out. Flushes and night sweats will usually start to reduce within a couple of weeks.
You are still clearly peri meno so your own hormones will be fluctuating in the background - do expect these fluctuations to continue for a while.  Also these HRT patches are medium strength and you might experience some surges - it is often better to start on a low dose in early peri meno so if things haven't settled after 3 months perhaps go back and ask for a lower dose HRT - e.g. Femoston 1/10 - these are pills though.
Good luck - keep us posted.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

Hi Julesarx

:welcomemm: from me too.

...just to add to what the others have said that the added oestrogen from the patch will provide a constant dose topping up your own supplies so that hopefully in future cycles you will not hit rock bottom as your levels will be topped up. Have your periods been irregular over the past 3 years and have you started skipping them?

If they are still very regular, then if these don't work ( but give them 3 months as you've been advised by the others) then there is a type of contraceptive pill called QLAIRA that is like HRT but will regulate your cycle so you don't get the huge hormone fluctuations, and only has 2 tablet free days so you don't get the big dip. Perhaps something to keep in the back of your mind as you are still in your 40's and these can be prescribed up until about 50.

Hurdity x