Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: On HRT - brittle breaking hair???  (Read 1309 times)

suehawk

On HRT - brittle breaking hair???
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »

Hello, I'm new, so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section!
I started HRT in August '16. I saw Prof John Studd (interesting! or "maverick" as my female GP calls him) and he immediately put me on his (what seems to be standard starter pack) of the Estrogel - 3 pumps a day and Testim - make a tube last 8 days.
All good to start with, really full of energy and glowing but about 3 or 4 months in, my hair has become really brittle and has started snapping off! I have highlights, including bleach, but have always had a luxurious mane with never a problem, even during and after pregnancy.
I'd also mention that my (sorry, but it seems we air it all here?!) labia/vulva - totally swollen, puffy, hyper sensitive, rubbed raw after standard sex.
I'm not so concerned about the nether regions as the sex is great but my hair???!!!
Any help very welcome thanks. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: On HRT - brittle breaking hair???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »

:welcomemm:

Make sure that your GP prescribes vaginal atrophy treatment which is applied to the vagina, also keeping the outer lips moist is important.  As oestrogen levels drop the body becomes dry  >:(.

Could you ring Prof Studd's secretary to ask if hair loss is a known side effect ?

samweller161

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »

I have very thin hair so mix a bit of argan oil with my serum stuff before blow drying - that seems to help?

SP x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »

Hi suehawk

:welcomemm: from me too.

You haven't said how old you are or where in menopause re periods/cycle nor what progestogen you are using (perhaps you've had a hysterectomy or have a Mirena?) but I presume as you are with Prof Studd you are having your hormones levels tested regularly? Although these are not necessary for oestrogen (except it seems, under particular circumstances) I understand that it is very important to monitor testosterone levels when taking replacement testosterone - at the amount you are using - at least in the first instance to make sure your levels do not go too high.

From what you say about the side effects it sounds like they could be - especially re the labia - although your oestrogen levels are presumably also high as you are on 3 pumps. Where do you apply the gel? Have you noticed any hair growth on your face?

If you are paying for your treatment I would ask for a blood tests  - now at 6 months after you started the T - just to check all is OK and I would have thought that Studd would suggest these automatically? I'm not sure of his standard follow up protocols and checks - but your side effects would ring alarm bells with me for checking.

Hurdity x