Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: new  (Read 1217 times)

emarose

• First Flush
new
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:04:02 AM »

hi
im new to forum im 50 and haven't had a period for 3 months although i wouldn't be surprised if they came back over the last 3-4 years i've had the brown spotting the heavy and clots (i have fibroids) the night sweats the hot flushes which are about 20 a day on bad days the nausea and the mood swings (i love and hate my dh on a regular basis) the low sugar feelings shakes etc. but the worst thing for me is the anxiety i am learning to manage it as i don't want to go down the ad root if possible but it does get me down sometimes any ideas to help would be great x

samweller161

Re: new
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:10 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum
Sounds like classic menopause symptoms to me - have you spoken to your doc about HRT?  This can help with anxiety although many of the ladies on this site also take ADs - its nothing to be scared or ashamed of!  Whatever helps you through, right?  Don't believe the HRT horror stories, most are based on very old studies which has since proved to be wrong. 
Have a read around, there is a lot of info on this site and many, MANY ladies who are much more qualified than me to offer advice

SP x

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »

Hi emarose,

welcome to the forum. Think I'm at around the same stage as you - had a 3 months gap recently and also have fibroids, nightsweats and hot flushes. I think it is important to find things which help you relax, or at least switch off. For me it is walking, others might try yoga, mindfulness or swimming.

Hope this forum helps you :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »

:welcomemm:  some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful as well as eating every 3 hours to ease that awful hormonal nausea!

Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask, ask, ask ........

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »

Hi emarose

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree that you do not need to take ADs - these are not actually the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms - so if you are going to take anything - HRT is the thing. This has been proven to work for menopausal flushes and sweats and replaces oestrogen as well as evening out the extreme hormone fluctuations you are experiencing.

Thrre is a great article here about the peri-menopause you might find interesting: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Also re the low blood sugar - although you can't stop some of the hormone surges you can help control blood sugar though diet. ie reducing and if possible eliminating added sugar from everything you eat - and drink - for most of the time except for a few pieces of raw fruit. Also by reducing all sweets, biscuits, cakes etc and all refined carbs such as white rice, white bread and white pasta, and anything made with white flour. I would try to reduce  carbs overall (ie those food that are very high carb like bread, cereal, pasta, potatoes, rice, pastry etc) but replace what you do eat with a wholemeal variety and eat more low fat protein instead of those high carb foods. You will be amazed at the difference it makes to the low blood sugar shakes, Make sure you snack on things like nuts or a banana (not more than one a day) or something savoury (not carbs).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »

I was advised to eat a high carbohydrate diet which converts to sugars ....... now it's a mix of how I feel and what exercise I am/not taking.