Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hormones  (Read 2605 times)

Charliegirl@

Hormones
« on: March 31, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »

Hi all, had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and kept ovaries. I am 65 and still
Having hormone type problems, i e, low mood sweats and fairly low blood sugar problems. Is this possible at my age and do I need some estrogen?
 Many thanks! Charliegirlx

Wilks

Re: Hormones
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »

Hi there, have you spoken to your GP? If not, I'd see what they think, perhaps HRT would help if it's suitable for you?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »

Hi Charliegirl

:welcomemm:

How long ago did you have your last period and do you mind sharing your reason for hysterectomy? Although it is advised to best start HRT under 60 or within 10 years of menopause, it is not out of the question to start later as Wilks suggests. In your position it would be so easy as you don't have to take a progestogen which is usually the problematic part of hRT for most women. If you start at your age, and you do not have other risk factors, then a transdermal method would be preferred eg starting dose could be a 25 mcg Estradot patch.

It goes without saying that lifestyle factors are crucial at this point - so diet, body weight, exercise, alcohol consumption, smoking etc. If these are all fine and you have no health conditions or risk factors that  mean oestrogen is not advised - there should be no reason why you should not try it!

You might find it difficult to persuade a GP so read up around it - NICE Guidelines, British Menopause Society recommendations, Womens Health Concern etc. and if necessary ask for a referral to a menopause clinic if there is one near you - but GP with sympathy and understanding of menopause is your first port of call.

What do you mean by blood sugar problems? Have you had this measured? Usually this can be sorted with dietary changes and specifically cutting down/out sugar and refined carbs, unless you have an underlying medical problem which should be investigated. I posted a huge spiel about low blood sugar yesterday because GypsyRoseLee was suffering from this so you might want to have a look: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39302.15.html.  I have had ongoing issues with blood sugar although nothing wrong and a high protein, fairly low carb diet does the job. I can even go much longer without food now! Because your hormones will not be fluctuating the advice from organisiations concerned with the pre-menstrual syndrome are not relevant to you - although the dietary advice they give re maintenance of stable blood sugar levels applies to everyone regardless of hormonal status.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Charliegirl@

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »

Hi Hurdity, I had a hysterectomy for post menopausel bleeding which showed adenosis? in the womb. My last period was at 52, apart from the bleeding before hysterectomy. Blood sugar just drops and nothing seems to work, I am feeling faint and so hungry. The only thing I can do is rest. Stress seems to make it worse as well! I think I will probably have a word with my GP to see if I can at least take the lowest dose. Thank you so much for the advice I was beginning to think I had diabetes or something!!xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »

When you say your blood sugar drops - have you had this tested to see what your levels are? Do you get the hypoglycaemic symptoms I described on the other thread - sweating shaking, carb cravings, weakness etc? You should be checked out as if you need to rest there must be something wrong? How is your diet ie what do you eat and when? When does this feeling happen - any particular time of day? After exercise?

Hopefully we can help further?

Hurdity x

Charliegirl@

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:58:57 AM »

Hi again Hurdity, well I have been ok for a few weeks then suddenly it all changed. Feelings of nausea, shaking weakness, extreme tiredness and feeling desperately hungry and faint. Its as if something has just changed , one day I was ok and the next it suddenly changed. This has been going on for over two weeks now. I used to get this for a few days before my period, which makes me think its hormone related, as I got low mood and blood sugar. Just cant seem to get this right at the moment. Cant see GP till 2 weeks.🙁