Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 7673 times)

Spangles

Vitamin D
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »

Hi ladies,
Has anyone taken vitamin D through winter? I've heard it's good in combatting SAD's. Although it is sold over the counter do you still need a blood test? I really suffer through winter even though I use AD's so I was thinking of giving it a try this year. Any advice?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

cubagirl

Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »

I take Calcium with Vit D all year round, not just winter.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »

Vitamin d needs vit k also to be able to uptake it properly .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

My brother-in-law is a leading gastroenterologist and is very insistent that we should all be  taking vitamin D through winter months and even summer months if we are not getting the 20 mins per day exposure to the sun (without sunscreen). You also need magnesium to absorb Vitamin D - so a complex that includes magnesium if you don't get enough in your diet. 
Without Vitamin D and magnesium you won't properly absorb calcium - so this can be bad news for the bones.
I believe that, as we age, we do need some supplementation especially as we need to reduce the amount we eat significantly to maintain a healthy weight.
DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:13:51 PM »

I have taken a supplement throughout the year since I had a blood test and found I was borderline deficient at the end of summer  ::)

At first, I found it cured all my aches and pains, and feeling of not being bothered.  :)

Then they came back and I found out I need magnesium as well so I take that.

I usually take 10 ug during the summer (recommended DA) and 25ug during the winter.

Also, eat plenty of oily fish.  Sardines on toast are lovely on a winter's evening (especially if you put butter on the toast first  ;D )

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

I have taken a supplement throughout the year since I had a blood test and found I was borderline deficient at the end of summer  ::)

At first, I found it cured all my aches and pains, and feeling of not being bothered.  :)

Then they came back and I found out I need magnesium as well so I take that.

I usually take 10 ug during the summer (recommended DA) and 25ug during the winter.

Also, eat plenty of oily fish.  Sardines on toast are lovely on a winter's evening (especially if you put butter on the toast first  ;D )
Interested that it did help aches and pains. I have just had thyroid checks which are ok but have been told that I have Vit  D  deficiency so have started to take them. Hoping it will help aching calves and feet.

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »

59 is not massively high though, Sparkle!  I'm sure it would not last you through the winter.

I stopped taking them the first summer, but we had a really cold June, so I wasn't getting much from the sun.  This year we had a week in Thailand in March and I had a really good boost  :)  It is a shame that is not possible every year.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »

Katejo - I have aches and pains all the time - have to keep moving.  But they were really hurting around my neck, shoulders, hips, hands and feet. Even sitting up in bed hurt.  It comes back if I stop taking the tablets.

I have tried the spray, but it did not work for me.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 05:09:40 PM »

Katejo - I have aches and pains all the time - have to keep moving.  But they were really hurting around my neck, shoulders, hips, hands and feet. Even sitting up in bed hurt.  It comes back if I stop taking the tablets.

I have tried the spray, but it did not work for me.
dahliagirl. Did you buy them in a store such as Boots or order them online?  Now wondering whether I need to buy another brand with Magnesium. Just have Boots own brand.

Megamind

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »

I was low in Vitamin D earlier this year and was prescribed 3 months of supplements but not told whether to come back after 3 months. When taking them I noticed an improvement in my tiredness, joint aches and more surprisingly an improvement in my ibs type symptoms (never been officially diagnosed).

I stopped taking them for a few months and noticed the joint aches and the ibs symptoms returning so phoned the Dr last week to enquire if I could have some more or if I needed another blood test first. They said I didn't need the blood test and prescribed me another 3 months worth.   

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:59:58 PM »

I really don't agree that we all need to take vitamin D throughout the whole winter and certainly not in the summer!!! I am one who doesn't need to for a start! If you get plenty of sun exposure in the summer and have a good diet then that should last you most of the winter. Surely the only people who would benefit from supplementation are those within certain categories - stomach digestive problems, those over 65 ( tough not sure that should be a blanket advice as I am not far off that age and I don't need to supplement seriously), and as said those who hide from the sun or use a lot of high factor sunscreen and some other groups. Perhaps a bit of pure cod liver oil now and again  - but I don't think you can get this now - it's all high strength stuff which I don't want!  I would far rather get it naturally than take supplements - which is what we are designed to do. Even when working full time I always used to make sure I got outside whenever possible at lunchtimes and especially at weekends and when children were growing up. Not that I want anyone to be deficient but I think we should attend to our diet and lifestyle first! What is this life if full of care.... do try to find time to get outside, it's good for the soul :)

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »

Thanks so much for all of your replies ladies, it really helps.
Hurdity may I ask what area you live as you sound like you get plenty of sunshine.
I do suffer from SAD and usually take a multi supplement. however a couple of my colleagues have had great results from using a vit D supplement through winter, hence my original post.
Shellb
xXx
P.S. I get plenty of sunshine as I work mainly outdoors, I do have digestive and absorption problems though.

breeze

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »

Sun screen is the problem.

I buy mine from Healthspan.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »

Yes Sparky! That was why I was so emphatic! I thought I'd said in my post but it was still in my head! I had mine tested last in mid March when levels would be at their lowest and it was ninety-something - which is why I am confident mine are OK. I agree if you have levels tested and they seem low then perhaps supplements would be needed in the short term. Dancinggirl - sorry if I came over in the wrong way - I don't want to have an argument by proxy with your brother (!) but just I do feel strongly that we should be attending to our diet and lifestyle as the main way  to boost Vit D (as well as improve wellbeing) if possible, because there is so much pill popping - some of which might be unnecessary! Yes there is too much use of sunscreen. I still would be very surprised if it were not possible for most people to get sufficient Vit D from sunshine and diet (except those in the exception categories like age, digestion etc), although I accept that as things stand a lot of people are deficient. I know it depends on skin colour and type - fair-skinned people will be more likely to get Vit D from sunshine than dark-skinned people eg in Scotland. I live in SW England - but wherever I lived I would make sure I was out in the sunshine and ate a good diet. We shouldn't need good summers to get Vit D through the skin... Sparky I can see why you take supplements in your positions but all I'm saying is not everyone should need to (except as a temporary measure if deficient). As I said a bit of cod liver oil now and again on top of diet and sunshine should be enough - and like with iron - I wouldn't take supplements unless there was a demonstrable need or I was sure I was likely to be deficient.

Hurdity x :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »

I think my low vit D level, taken in early October, was the result of several years of depletion, made worse that year by an Operation in the January.  I did not recover from that as well as I would have expected and felt lacklustre all summer and without the mental energy to carry any ideas through to fruition.  A naturopath friend was telling me that surgery and general anaesthetic were a big shock to the body and take longer to recover from than you expect.  Anyway, after 6 weeks, I suddenly had that joie de vivre back - not a big revelation - just feeling comfortable with life again, and it was lovely.

Unfortunately, every time I stop taking the vit D, the aches etc come back.  I think that in hindsight I may have been bumping the bottom of the VitD levels for some years as I have fair sensitive skin, so took the advice to keep out of the sun too well.  I have also read on forums about Vit D that if you have been deficient for some time, then you do need to take it for the longer term - but no real references or research to back this up.  It does seem to have been my experience.

A friend with a background in nutrition calculated that you need 3 good portions of oily fish a week (or equivalent) to get the daily rda of vitD from diet (which is considered to be too low these days) and that is quite a lot of sardines on toast!  However, her levels are low, in spite of supplements so the GP has put her on a large dose (unfortunately, this is instead of the HRT that she went in and asked for, after going in for meno symptoms over several years  :( )
Pages: [1] 2