Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Citalopram  (Read 10367 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Citalopram
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

:welcomemm:

Samweller161

Spangles

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »

Hi Fiftygirl,
I use 40mg of Citalopram along my HRT, I dread to think how I would be without it. I still get anxiety, more so from hormones, the only thing I would say is that I don't cry anymore as it suppresses it. Try it and see how you get on, if it doesn't suit you can always stop.
Shellb xXx

Annidav

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »

Everyone - thank you for your replies which I really appreciate. Been away for past week and not been able to get on here to reply. Am going to get my prescription tomorrow and will give them a go. Thanks again. Also have an appointment next week with anxiety counsellors 😀

Annidav

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:33 AM »

Well I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I took my first Citalopram last night when I went to bed and have had just three and a half hours of sleep and am now wide awake with a headache.....

Janice68

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »

Hi Fiftygirl, I take my cipramil in the morning not at night! Sometimes ADs can cause insomnia. So if I was you I would take it in the morning. As for headache can be of lack of sleep or side effect of Citalopram but give it a chance pls side effects will die off.
take care
Janx

Urbanchick

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

Fiftygirl - the first few days are the worst - I was so anxious I couldn't sleep or eat properly for several weeks, but it does get better.   Yawning is a weird side effect and then tiredness.   But you DO get used to it.   I found it flattened out my moods for several months but I was then a bit lacking in feelings, if that makes sense, so I stopped gradually.   But a lot of people take it and never look back.   

Annidav

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »

Thanks Jan68 and Urbanchick  - I took the tablet last night because I needed to drive to the office again this morning and the packet has a warning that driving could be impaired however I think I will take the next one tomorrow morning as it is the weekend and no work so I will see how it goes taking it in the morning; I also have an incredibly dry mouth today and I see that too is one of the side effects; I will persevere with them though as I appreciate they can take time to start working positively!!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

I always take new medications at night so that I can sleep through any side effects.  The head ache will go eventually as your body gets used to the ingredients.  I began to get low grade headaches when taking Propranolol, 40mg at night - now I cut them in half with good result.  It's about Trial and Error which can be tiring  ::)

Janice68

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »

It is trial and error Fiftygirl. I am lucky with Citalopram i didn't suffer any side effects and it done nothing for my sleep  either but a god send with panic attacks and anxiety though. I'm alot better on that side of things now.
But I will tell you I had a week long nightmare on Mirtazapine when I first started on it. I had headaches I felt sick  and I also felt weak in the legs too. Anyway I'm glad I persevered with it after 8 days it all passed and I'm actually on it to help me sleep which it does. I still don't sleep through the night but it sends me of to sleep and I manage on a few hours sleep which is better than none and on a good night I can go back to sleep too.
Let us no how you get on? As I said before I take my Citalopram which is 20mg in the morning and my Mirtazapine 15mg at bedtime.
Jan x

Annidav

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »

Update - been taking the Citalopram for the past five days and have had hardly any sleep, extremely dry mouth, loss of appetite but worst of all, horrendous anxiety and panic attacks - this morning I have been awake since 1.57; I appreciate these tablets haven't kicked it yet and that, hopefully, long term they will help me. I have had to take today off to try and get some sleep as I feel so spaced out. My star of a husband has been awake with me all night, talking to me to try and calm me, stroking my hair and just supporting me. I don't know if I will be fit enough to work for the next few days - feel like closing myself off to the world and hibernating (if only I could sleep!). My memory has also been getting worse and whether the anxiety is making me feel this I don't know but I am starting to seriously think I may have early signs of dementia...maybe that is the anxiety......

Janice68

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »

Sorry to hear Fiftygirl what youve been going through!!! If I was you I would speak to your surgery and speak to a doctor that's what I did when I started Mirtazapine and yes that too increased my insomnia and anxiety amongst other things.
Let us no how you get on?
Janx

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

Some medications can have an opposite effect to what they are designed for.  Have a chat with a Pharmacist?

There are several on the market so don't get disheartened.   :medal: for the Husband ;-).

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »

I think it was round about the 5th day when I rang my GP surgery because I felt that I couldn't tolerate the side effects of this AD any longer.  I spoke with the surgery pharmacist who felt that the increased anxiety and night time panic attacks were due to the uptake of the medication.  He advised me to try and stick with it, but if it got no better to stop taking them and come back in to see my GP.  that was all I needed.  Each day I thought to myself 'if this gets worse I will stop them', but after day 5 it didn't get any worse although it was about 3 weeks before I noticed the side effects improving.

That was a year ago and I am so glad I didn't give up.  they really helped me deal wth some difficult times and 6 weeks ago I reduced my dose by half and intend to wean off them in the new year as I am seeing the positive effects of 11 months of therapy.

They aren't easy to get along with but they can be very helpful.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 05:18:34 PM »

:thankyou: BJ

Urbanchick

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »

Fifty girl - I was exactly the same.  I lost nearly a stone over a month as anxiety killed my appetite.    When the worst was over I found I was very tired in the afternoons and slept like a log at night, albeit with incredibly vivid dreams.    I also had stomach issues and diarrhoea for about three weeks.

But it did ease and it helped me over a bad four months.   I gave up then because I felt very emotionless and couldn't handle the constant yawning.   But I know it suits some people long term.   I think I am just sensitive to certain medication.

I think you are probably over the worst, but see you GP if you are still concerned.   Good luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3