Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Low acid diet  (Read 9255 times)

Fortysomethibg

Low acid diet
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »

Hi all, well I went to drs with aches and pains and was informed I am going through the menopause :( no blood test was done however. For example, I was holding my phone for 2 hours reading one afternoon and when I stopped, my wrist was really sore. It is still sore 6 days later. It seems that my body cant cope with exercise either without being really sore for a long time after. I am used to regular exercise but not used to all this pain. Other symptoms include dizziness, memory and concentration difficulties. My periods have been irregular for about a year and I recently missed 3 periods in a row only to start again.

I have done some research and understand that a low acid diet can help with the aches and pains.  Does anyone have any experience of this actually working?  It is very limiting and, quite difficult I would imagine,  to sustain. I have no idea what to have for breakfast other than fruit! Lunch is equally tricky.

Also, I was going to take glucosamine until I saw 'Trust me I'm a doctor ' where they did tests only to find no conclusive evidence that it helps, one lady (taking a placebo) said she had never felt better since taking it :(

I am taking double cod liver oil tablets, a good quality multi vitamin with minerals and eating as healthy as I can with lots of fish and calcium rich foods in my diet.

I was offered hrt but would prefer, if possible,  to get through this using diet and, (pain permitting) exercise.

Sorry for text talk,  I don't have my laptop set up as yet so using my phone.

I look forward to chatting on this forum.

Best wishes

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Low acid diet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

Faddy diets are not the way to go.  A healthy diet is what the body needs, plus gentle exercise, good posture, comfy mattress  and plenty of 'me' time.  The body dispels naturally most things we put into it ;-).  A good mix of fish (tinned or fresh/frozen), lots of fruit and veg; frozen, tinned, fresh  -  plenty of chicken and occasionally beef; salad to include lots of bright peppers, celery, radish etc. [what takes your fancy of course].  I have fads: I can fancy cheese salad for weeks then can't face it  ::).  My Husband makes lots of curries which are filling and healthy.

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles can apparently become lax = aches and pains, which can be eased by over the counter pain relief.  Some days I ache on and off all over, fortunately not at the same time.  The body also dries; skin, vagina, nostrils, eyes, deep in the ears ….. so finding a good skin care regime as well as being aware of vaginal atrophy: which presents as repeated urine 'infection' type feelings: all have threads here somewhere  ::).  We have a funny room too.

linz57

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »

I don't religiously  follow a low acid diet these days, but I try to drink a glass of homemade green juice every day. I also avoid carbonated drinks and find these measures help keep my reflux under control.
I know aches and pains are not the same as reflux , but maybe if you tried veggie juicing and drank plenty of water it may just help you a little.....along with the other suggestions people have mentioned. The juice is alkaline and it did used to help my joints somewhat,  but now I'm several years postmenopausal  I find the only things that really help are hrt and the odd Ibuprofen here and there.
I hope you find something that helps you as I know how rotten the aches and pains can make you feel.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:12:57 PM by linz57 »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »

To a certain extent the body heals itself.  So it will cleanse itself if a healthy diet is available ……. initially, years ago when we began using garlic, it gave me heartburn but now I tolerate it well.  Oranges have always given me 'wind' but I can eat grapefruit  ::).  I don't eat apples but Himself eats 2/3+ per day …. although his gut rolls noisily  :-X he doesn't complain of 'acidity' feelings.

So if you think that something is upsetting your gut more than it did, then cut out the food for 3-4 weeks, see how you feel without then gradually introduce it to your diet.

I also find that eating certain foods at certain times of day can/not upset my digestion  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

I am allergic to onions in their raw state  :-\ ……… Hospital job!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »

I LOVE onions  ;D …. if they have been boiled for hours++ then the poisons are removed and I'm OK - i.e. in chutney.

bramble

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »

I have followed a low acid/low salt diet for over 30 years on the advice of Jan de Vries the well known homeopathic doctor. It is relatively easy to follow and is no way a 'diet' and certainly not a fad. I had gone to him with rheumatoid arthritis and it has really helped. His advice was to avoid stuff like butter, cream etc; avoid acidic fruits including tomatoes; and salty stuff like pork, bacon etc. It certainly has helped. I can tell the next say when I have had a tomato based meal the night before as my joints ache. If I do cook with tomatoes now I add some sugar. And def no red wine! Chinese meals set it off as well.

I also wear a bio-magnetic bracelet.

Thats not to say I never have any of the above - but only very occasionally. Breakfast is easy - eggs or porridge or cereal - no juice.

I still occasionally have flareups but they only last a few days/weeks rather than 6 months. I have constant pain but I would call it background pain for which I take nothing. You get used to it.

Bramble
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:22:36 PM by bramble »

Fortysomethibg

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »

Thank you all for the wonderful replies and sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have finally got my laptop set up  :)

Bramble, your low acid diet sounds quite straightforward to follow, the info I got online said that you have to avoid sugar, bread, milk (including soya milk) all meat and fish, eggs, pasta etc.  All that seemed to be left was fruit and veg!  So I might just give that a try.

I have to add that I have cut down on sugar and been having the juice of half a lemon every day and the aches and pains seem alot better, perhaps coincidence but I shall continue with this for now :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:39 PM »

Lemons are acidic  :-\ …………. do you drink it in warm water?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »

How  :-\ ………. I love 'em.  On a slice of lightly fried plaice, as lemon meringue pie ………  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 07:03:38 PM »

I never thought about how mine works until recent years  ;D

linz57

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »

:rofl:

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:37:39 PM »

Oo-er not sure about this?? I agree with CLKD - these sorts of fads are probably not the way to go, although if you have acid reflux problems then there are lots of ways to help - but haven't heard of lemons - would have thought the opposite myself!

Just did a random google and there was an excellent informative article here about reducing stomach acid but I expect those who suffer from this know it already: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Home-Remedies-for-Decreasing-Stomach-Acid

It doesn't mention losing weight and generally getting leaner and fitter but I'll bet that would also help those sufferers who are overweight and/or unfit :)

Hurdity x

bramble

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »

As I said before, a low acid way of eating is certainly not a fad. Jan de Vries is (or was - now sadly deceased) a well known homeopathic doctor with an excellent reputation.

Bramble

linz57

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »

Linz, can I just ask, does the green juice contribute to, ahem, wind?  :o

Feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you wish   ;D

That all depends on which veggies I juice sparkle. My favourite mix is spinach, cucumber, celery, beetroot ( makes the drink a murky brown colour) apple and carrot. I'm generally ok with this but if I add say broccoli then don't come near me with a naked flame 😂.
I juice rather than make smoothies as the fibre in raw veggies can be very hard to digest .
I don't believe in following fad diets either but I enjoy a juice most days, plus it's a good way of getting extra nutrients into my system.
Pages: [1] 2