Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Meno weight gain  (Read 6224 times)

lily

Meno weight gain
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »

Interested to know if anyone not on hrt has gained weight during meno? One of my reasons for not wanting to take hrt was the associated weight gain, but I have put on over a stone in the last year without being on it. Makes me wonder if hrt being blamed unfairly for weight gain when maybe just meno in general that causes it?

jgr

Re: Meno weight gain
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:08:25 AM »

Hi Lily, i have been on hrt (patches) for 5years and have put on no weight. I have always been aware of weight gain during this time and although i eat what i want i always have it on a smaller plate (tea plate) and never overdo it with anything bad for you. Works for me so much so that if i get served a meal on a large plate i never finish it. xx

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »

Been in hrt for years with no weight gain, reached post meno and gained 1 stone x

clare663

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »

I gained weight on the tablet form of HRT over 2 stones in 6 months whilst peri but lost most of it. Now im 5 yrs post, put on weight and it doesnt make a difference to my weight either going without HRT or with patches and gels.

nothappybun

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »

More than weight gain I experience bloating and water retention which makes me look fuller and also got cravings for sweet stuff! I think it is a question of balancing meals with the right food and trying not to eat between meals.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »

Hello lily.

I am six years post meno, with the last three being on HRT. I haven't gained any weight but I have changed shape and have more of a  belly now but my BMI has actually gone down. I also don't have a spare tyre or large bottom so it seems the belly has taken the biggest hit lol.
My trusty meno book includes a photo of a naked post meno woman to illustrate how our bodies change. I was shocked and appalled when I first saw it but now I don't think she looks too bad. I guess our expectations change along with the rest of us!

Take care all.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

As others have said - weight gain is likely during peri-menopause and beyond due to changes in metabolism (ie slowing, and loss of muscle mass I understand too) irrespective of whether you take HRT or not. I weigh less now than I did when I was peri-menopausal and before going on HRT - but I've had to work at it. Like others I eat less and different foods and exercise more than I did in the past, to stay slim (ish!). Many women find that progestogens cause permanent bloating - and when I am on the prog phase of my HRT I defo have some sort of bloating or water retention. Therefore this may well become more apparent when on continuous combined HRT - and also the phenomenon ( of bloating and water retention) may differ with the different synthetic progestogens and from woman to woman.

I am lucky that I still have a more or less flat stomach but like Kathleen my shape has changed dramatically as it does with most women - fat disappears from our thighs and butt and goes onto our waist and mid-section. Gone are the small waists of our youth!  I am only a few pounds overweight but it's all round my middle!

Agree with Stellajane - don't let that thought put you off - but make a conscious effort now with your diet and exercise (as well as posture!)

Hurdity x

lily

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies. I am heavier than I have ever been and was not prone to putting a lot of weight on - have always stayed much the same give or take half a stone. So detest being this heavy, will need to try to lose it. Hoping to try hrt in January when it will be a year since last period, don't want a monthly bleed.

Dana

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:01:31 PM »

I've gained weight since being on hrt, but I have to admit it was my fault, not meno or hrt. I have also now lost 20 pounds this year (and still losing) and I'm still meno and still taking hrt. I will bloat a bit when using the progesterone, but that disappears when I stop it.

In most cases weight gain is a choice, just as losing it is.

SarahK

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 04:37:04 PM »

I put on 1stone with HRT- :-\ but when I stopped it, it didn't come off. Really depressing, especially when you've got all the flushes etc to cope with..

elainediva

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

me too, i put on 3 stones without hrt
hoping to get back on track soon i think i am at a good place
with my meno at the moment

lily

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »

Thanks ladies, sounds like it might just be all we go through during meno that can lead to weight gain and not necessarily the hrt. Good to know.

flutterby

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:28 PM »

I hardly gained an weight during the 16 years I was on HRT, I have been off it 3 weeks and I am monitoring it carefully. I thought I was able to keep my weight down as I was an anxious person. The last couple of months I have been relaxed but no weight gain. I do some exercise but probably not enough, I don't think I overeat.
As my sleep is now becoming more disruptive I am wondering if that might have some effect, as leptin the satiety hormone is dependent on sleep duration. Flutterbyx

Mary1962

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »

I'm not on HRT and have gradually put on 7-9lbs across the last 18 months.  Partly because foodwise at times I appear to have no off switch so am trying to curtail that a bit and also trying but sometimes failing to keep off the more fattening foods (cakes, biscuits, crisps, puds!) as during menopause I think I'm right in saying we process fats differently.  The fat has definitely headed to the bits they say it does during menopause - ie, stomach! I'm sure healthier eating is the way to deal with it but for me that's still work in progress  :D