Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.  (Read 11401 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Embedded UTI , and NO does not necessarily mean NO.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.  Having listened to a GP talking recently, the feeling in Surgery is that patients want a 'quick fix' and are unwilling to wait for Nature or over the counter remedies to take effect. 

Also, wiping correctly can lessen the risk of bugs being passed back to front ……..

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:12 PM »

Whenever I begin to get that burning sensation, I find drinking water with bicarb 2-3 times a day for a couple of days can really help. 
CKLD - you are so right - part of my ‘management' to prevent problems is about keeping the whole area clean and balanced - making sure things are really clean after bowel movements is very important. Maintaining a good flora balance is also crucial - this is where the local oestrogen together with Sylk can really help.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »

Ahhhh, you've reminded me  -  good old bicarb of soda was Granma's go to receipe for burns and other ills.

Are U able to let us know how much you use in hot/cold water?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »

I use half a teaspoon bicarb in a small glass of water - I usually add a bit of elderflower cordial to make it taste nicer :-X - As soon I feel the burning, I drink this 2-3 times a day for a couple of days and it usually clears things up nicely.

Vagifem 2-3 times a week and Sylk after every shower seem to keep the flora balance good.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »

Ain't it hard work sometimes to keep everything supple and soft  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.  Having listened to a GP talking recently, the feeling in Surgery is that patients want a 'quick fix' and are unwilling to wait for Nature or over the counter remedies to take effect. 

Also, wiping correctly can lessen the risk of bugs being passed back to front ……..

Was that on a BBC programme about reducing use of medication? I watched part of a programme filmed very close to where I live (Chingford/Waltham Forest) and heard the doctor saying this. I agree very much in principle but, in the case of a UTI, it could just spread to the kidneys and cause permanent damage).

Katejo

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 06:11:06 PM »

Katejo Oh dear, sorry to hear you feel poorly again  :hug:
DG not a rant just a very well written case against the over use of antibiotics, especially for VA
Flutterbyx

But aren't VA and  UTI actually different things which get mistaken for each other due to similar symptoms? Or does using an HRT local cream actually reduce the likelihood of an infection?

Re. general overdose of antibiotics: My impression is that GP's and pharmacists aren't entirely innocent. I have been to a GP before after a very bad cold or flu because I wasn't sure whether it had become an infection or not. I said to the doctor that I only wanted AB if really needed, not if it was a virus. i have been given one but later suspected that it had made no difference. In a similar way I have asked a pharmacist who gave rather dubious advice about how to tell between a bad cold and an infection.

Katejo

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »

Ain't it hard work sometimes to keep everything supple and soft  ::)

I have decided to try applying the Estriol cream because I have got irritation at the moment. Have also bought some lubrication jelly. How full should the applicator be? how many applications are required to feel any benefit (or is that like the question "How long is a piece of string"?)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:39:50 PM by Katejo »

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »

I'll repeat: as oestrogen levels drop off the body becomes dry, inside and out: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina ….. as skin dries it can itch which opens up the body to infection.  Vaginal tissue is thin and gets thinner which causes irritation to the bladder.  VA mimics urine 'infection' symptoms.

Initially the Nurse dipped the urine samples I took: fortunately not often: and gave me ABs for cystitis/infection but my GP cottoned on when 2 more samples were sent to the Lab. and reported as no growth and eventually suggested that it is atrophy.  The prescription really did ease those feelings of razor blades up there!

So once the urine samples have been checked which can ONLY be done under Lab. conditions and when urine irritation is eased by over the counter pain relief then VA is in all probability the cause.

In answer to your question, it should tell you on the leaflet within the box how to apply ……… every night for 2 weeks is suggested to encourage suppleness of the vaginal tissue.  I put KY jelly on my outer lips to stop itching there too  ::).

Regular use of treatment to ease VA symptoms should lessen the irritated bladder feelings.   

Katejo

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »

I'll repeat: as oestrogen levels drop off the body becomes dry, inside and out: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina ….. as skin dries it can itch which opens up the body to infection.  Vaginal tissue is thin and gets thinner which causes irritation to the bladder.  VA mimics urine 'infection' symptoms.

Initially the Nurse dipped the urine samples I took: fortunately not often: and gave me ABs for cystitis/infection but my GP cottoned on when 2 more samples were sent to the Lab. and reported as no growth and eventually suggested that it is atrophy.  The prescription really did ease those feelings of razor blades up there!

So once the urine samples have been checked which can ONLY be done under Lab. conditions and when urine irritation is eased by over the counter pain relief then VA is in all probability the cause.

In answer to your question, it should tell you on the leaflet within the box how to apply ……… every night for 2 weeks is suggested to encourage suppleness of the vaginal tissue.  I put KY jelly on my outer lips to stop itching there too  ::).

Regular use of treatment to ease VA symptoms should lessen the irritated bladder feelings.
  Yes i have got instructions but wasn't sure how full to fill the syringe. I have just applied it. Possible slight relief straight away but perhaps I am imagining that. Also bought ky jelly today. After applying it for 2 weeks, how long do you leave it before doing it again ?

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »

Hi katejo

Have you read all the info on this site about VA? It starts here under menopause (top left tab)/vag problems/ symptoms  but there are several sub tabs:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php

Also treatment here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

And here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php (some overlap)

Magazine article here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php  (scroll down past the survey)

..another one here ( haven't read this one): http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/article-gsm-issue44.pdf

Just to clarify re the 2 weeks. The Vagifem or Estriol is applied every day for at least two weeks (longer if the VA is severe) and thereafter twice a week to maintain plumped up condition and keep VA at bay. This is for life if necessary as once you have VA it will return once you stop using local oestrogen. Some women use estriol cream on outer areas as well as Vagifem on an as and when basis  although it is not designed for instant relief. if you find this it is because of the soothing effect of the cream - which of course you can't get with Vagifem as it is a dry tablet which sticks to vaginal walls.

I'm not sure about the other lubricants as I don't use them (except KY for sex)  but you will see how others use them - some women use them daily so presumably as often as necessary.

Re the UTI issue - just to clarify - yes VA and UTIs do mimic each other but only locally. As I said before if you have a temperature and are feeling generally fluey/unwell then that is not due to VA. However as already said you can also have a UTI without having a temperature and feeling unwell! And of course the temp and feeling unwell may also be due to something else.

Hurdity x

Pages: 1 2 [3]