Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1605 times)

Jacq

« on: July 26, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »

Hi everyone thanks to the admin for allowing me here.

As my mum glided through menopause I didn't read much about it as I thought I'd be like her and not suffer however after a trip to GP yesterday she gave me this site to have a browse, I'm awaiting blood results coming back to enlighten me with my sweats, hot flushes and fatigue... She asked me about HRT (before I've had it confirmed) anyway I told her I did t know enough and what I did know I'm not too sure about as the cancer scares, having spoken to various work colleagues they have advised me against taking HRT can anyone give me advice on this and if there is alternatives I can take, I'm 48 and not so clued up with all this.
I had a period in March 2015 nothing until April 2016 then on Saturday just gone I bled with clots but it had stopped as quick as it started.  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »

:welcomemm:  stop listening to your colleagues and do not GOOGLE cos he don't know nowt!

Well done to your GP for guiding you here.  Browse round, make notes - someone will be along with HRT advice.  GPs have been given new guidelines as the results of old trials have been reviewed and found to be wanting!  Quality of Life is important and that bus might be along before HRT causes any problems but oh the relief from any difficult symptoms can be immense.

HRT can protect heart and bones.  A good diet, regular exercise and plenty of 'me' time is important too - we have threads about all these topics here somewhere  ::)

Ask away!  My periods became intermittent over 2 years then stopped.  PHEW! then I had a warm glow after my evening bath every night for several months ……… but that could have been due to regular medication ………. some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Jacq
I really wouldn't listen to work colleagues - most people simply believe what they read in the papers.  Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  The new NICE guidelines now recommend HRt as the first line of treatment for menopause symptoms and for you, at your age, HRT would be advisable to protect your heart and bones for the long term as well as relieving your meno symptoms. There is a section on alternative treatments but HRT generally brings more benefits than risks whereas SRRIs or ADs might control flushes but won't protect your bones and heart.   
Just to clarify things,  the risk of breast cancer is extremely small and doesn't actually kick in until you reach 60 if you are still on HRT - even then using HRT beyond 60 is fine provided there are no other health issues that prevent this.
Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to see the different HRT options.
If I were you I'd try Femoston 1/10 sequential HRT - this has the kinder progesterone that is well tolerated by many women and see how you get on.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Jacq

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »

Thanks for your reply CLKD, I agree I don't like
Mr Google myself and yeah I shouldn't listen to others.
I read posts about the coil (which I have) however what's the gel patch and how does it work? Excuse my ignorance like I said I took for granted I wouldn't go through this how wrong was I ... Weight gain is a small problem I feel it more around my tummy, backside & thighs I've jumped a dress size however not a big eater but will be checking my diet as of now me time is hard when your workin keeping a house going a man & kids though I will be neglecting them in order to be stress free . Good advice will be taken thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:34:27 AM »

This forum is great in offering experiences, support and advice which can be filtered for use if appropriate.

Jacq

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl I will take on board anything that's suggested I'll also have a good read at the forums ... I'm so naive I didn't know it affected the bones &a heart thanks for bringing this to my attention.... I want to have a good quality of life therefore open to any suggestions re HRT X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »

Make a list of symptoms so that you are able to chart your feelings.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »

Hi Jacq
If you already have the Mirena in place then you can simply add some oestrogen as either Oestrogel, oestrogen patch(Estradot) or pills.  If your Mirena has been in for more that 4 years then you may need to have a new one but it does make life much easier when used as part of HRT because it keeps the womb lining thin and you simply add as much oestrogen as you need - eventually you won't get any bleeds at all with the Mirena in place.
Some women prefer to use oestrogen pills but you do need to use a higher dose for it to be effective.  These days most of us are happier using hormones transdermally - so it's absorbed through the skin - as you need less and is generally more effective.  The patches can be tricky if they don't stick but many women love using these.  Oestrogel had to be applied each day to inner thighs on clean skin.
Weight gain at the menopause is a problem for most of us (particularly around tummy and hips) and to be honest one simply has to eat less and make sure you get some regular exercise to keep weight under control.
Dg x