Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 6843 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weight gain
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »

Brisk walk along a beach then  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »

Thanks WTD & BJ, that's really interesting.  WTD, I'm not as good as you, only having carbs once a week - I have muesli for breakfast every morning!  Problem is that I cant' face protein first thing, but feel really ill if I don't eat anything.  But I reckon if I cut carbs right down for lunch and dinner it should help.  Will see how it goes. 

walking the dog

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »

They do say Dorothy if your going to have carbs have them at breakfast , I was eating natural. Yogurt with seeds berries but saw no change so now eat porridge or chocolate cereal which sounds bad but since did this the weights started to shift! Coincidence?or time ? Stick with it, watch your portion sizes watch but don't exclude the carbs, we have to live after all. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »

Slow release foods i.e. porridge or good quality muesli mix can stop the gut feeling hungry = less nibbling  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

They do say Dorothy if your going to have carbs have them at breakfast , I was eating natural. Yogurt with seeds berries but saw no change so now eat porridge or chocolate cereal which sounds bad but since did this the weights started to shift! Coincidence?or time ? Stick with it, watch your portion sizes watch but don't exclude the carbs, we have to live after all. Xx

That's good to know.  I tried a low carb diet sheet once and they had things like scrambled eggs or salmon for breakfast - I nearly threw up just thinking of eating that first thing! 

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »

My doc says I'm not eating enough calories so my body thinks it's being starved! Hasn't it looked in the mirror lately?  ;D

Taz x

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

Oh, I do wish my doctor would tell me that!!!

Re: portion control - can anyone recommend a good website that gives sensible portion sizes?  I tried one site for a pasta bake (yes, I know it's carbs, but it is the weekend!) last night, and we ended up stuffing ourselves to bursting point and still having leftovers, which isn't really the idea.  (I cook for my mother and myself and as she needs to lose weight too, I am trying to cook just enough for one meal so that we can't overeat).  I had a similar problem at Christmas where I looked at the recommended qty for Christmas dinner and we ended up with about 20 roast potatoes left over...

Tonight, I had a meal where everything on the pack was labelled with the portion size (frozen veg & fish) and we ended up with a much smaller amount, ate everything that was cooked and ended up feeling satisfied but not stuffed.  But not everything comes in a packet with the right portion size written on it & I'm finding it hard to judge.

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »

I posted this earlier http://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/p/portion-size  not sure if it helps?

Taz x

Dorothy

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

Thanks for that - I've just checked the portions for the pasta bake & they come out much smaller using this site than the one I used!

This low carb diet IS working btw - yesterday, I was able to get into a pair of gardening trousers that were skin tight last month - they are still a little 'fitted' (and they used to be MUCH too baggy on me which was why they ended up as gardening gear) but at least we are going in the right direction!

walking the dog

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »

Well done Dorothy bet that made you feel better stick with it I am for dinner this evening have had roast chicken green beans carrots sugar snaps and broccoli I'm full up I still need to loose more but have decided its a,way of life not a diet and there's nothing wrong with a treat now and then

dulciana

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 06:49:33 PM »

For a good couple of years or more, I've been steadily putting on more and more weight without trying, to the point of being nearly three sizes up from my "normal" size.  Then, last month, I had my mirena coil removed and since then, I've definitely lost weight.  All along, while I had the mirena in, I suspected it was causing me to put on weight - just the way it was making me feel, physically.   I'm not going to fall through a crack in the floor and I don't know if I'll ever be a 12 again, but I now have more energy again and my clothes fit me better.   Relief. 

walking the dog

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »

I have read a,few people saying mirena caused weight gain hopefully you will shed some pounds dulciana now its removed.

dulciana

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »

Thanks, WTD.  I think weight has a knock-on effect - the more weight you have, the less energy you have to exercise; the less weight, the more energy.   That's what I'm finding, anyway.    :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:41:34 PM by dulciana »

Dorothy

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »

I also found I was getting depressed at my increasing size which made me seek comfort in food!

I think many forms of hormone treatment can pile on the weight too - I found mine shot up when I went onto the BCP and I had another couple of friends who ballooned up when they tried it too.

dulciana

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »

There's a phrase that has stuck with me since my teenage, Jackie-reading days and that is that if you can "pinch more than an inch" at tummy-level, you're overweight.  Well, I don't know how true this is, especially with all the extra padding that this time of life brings us, but I definitely have less tummy flab to pinch now, than whatever I had before my lovely mirena was fitted!   Oh ladies, isn't this all fun?   :) :)    I refuse to accept that we can't have good figures at our age.  I mean, look at Mary Berry, for goodness' sake!   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:50:15 PM by dulciana »
Pages: 1 [2] 3