Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Screening Test  (Read 3609 times)

Cassie

Screening Test
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »

Morning can anyone tell me how many samples does one have to send back for the colon cancer test. OH will be of that age soon and I am expecting objections,  just need to know what to expect....its important that he undertakes to complete it. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Screening Test
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »

Do you mean the bowel cancer kit after age 60?  1 sample for 3 days, taken within 14 B4 it is required to be sent away.  The kit arrives with clear instructions.   Not the pleasantess of tasks but better than nappies  :D

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »

Yes thats what I am referring to....oh my, how will he cope...eek... ;D

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »

Mine's refused to do his for the last three years. His mum died of bowel cancer at the age of 42 but still he wont do the test although the doc has wanted him to be screened since he hit 45 - he's 63 now.  Here are the instructions http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/Documents/kit-instructions.pdf. Good luck with your persuading!!  ;D

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

Tx Tazz, sounds grim but very necessary....

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »

I've just got my next one through the post today funnily enough. It's not grim really - it's just the way we view anything to do with poo and bowels in this country I think.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »

Yep - I would never have been a Roman as they shared facilities  :o - long lines of toilets where they sat, cogitating.  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »

I agree StellaJane - although one thing that does bother me about the screening is that it can lull people into a false sense of security in that it only picks up a cancer if it is bleeding at the time of the test. It is still important to take note of changes in bowel habit even though a test is negative but not everyone is aware of this.

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:51 AM »

A Dr once said to me if theres a problem, there is always blood as in a bleeding polyp etc but I do agree with you Tazz, Colonscopy is really the only way to be 100% sure.

Evelyn63

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

I agree StellaJane - although one thing that does bother me about the screening is that it can lull people into a false sense of security in that it only picks up a cancer if it is bleeding at the time of the test. It is still important to take note of changes in bowel habit even though a test is negative but not everyone is aware of this.

Taz x

Totally agree, it's the same with any screening, it's precisely that, just a screening test, that's as good as the day it's done, the rest of the time, it's up to the individual to be body conscious and be aware of any changes .

My husband isn't great with health issues either, but have to say he's very sensible about having his yearly MOT ( B/P check, cholesterol /PSA) and always does the bowel check.  He's heard of one that scans men for abdominal anuresim and is going to look into that.  Having said that , he avoids doctors in between if at all possible. :)

A friend of ours was referred on after the bowel test showed positive and is currently having treatment .  He's one of the fortunate ones, had no symptoms ( that he's admitting to ! ) but was diagnosed on the basis of tests following the screening. His prognosis is as good as anyone else's now and he considers himself a lucky man.  It was his wife's nagging that made him do the test, he kept " deferring ".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:08:02 AM by Evelyn63 »

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »

When I saw the surgeon about my positive test (also the one I was seeing about the gallstones) he actually wasn't that concerned it could be bc. I had the colonoscopy and nice to know it was clear. However, I know someone who's having treatment and the only symptom was extreme tiredness, a blood test revealed low iron, then the colonoscopy and found the nasty. So anything out of the ordinary needs to be investigated.

breeze

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »

Not straight forward is it.

My kit is currently in my 'in tray' at the moment.  Will have to do it soon as being nagged by husband.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

Ever so straight forward if one follows the clear instructions inside the 'kit'.  It doesn't have to be 3 consecutive days ……. but has to be collected and sent within 14 days of starting the samples.