Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New here looking for some advice  (Read 8962 times)

pinkdove

New here looking for some advice
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »

Hi, Where to start, well i may be too old, i don't know, I am through the menopause, but suffer from anxiety/depression, and have done since 2010, I take effexor antidepressants, which have helped a bit, but it is the terrible sweats i have, particularly in the mornings, my hair is soaking wet, and i feel so uncomfortable.

I am having some bloods done tomorrow to check thyroid, sugar, and anemia, but i wonder if all this could be hormonal, i did discuss this with my GP last year, and he said i could try a low dose hrt treatment, I am 62 years old, and a bit wary of starting it.

Has anyone else taken or tried hrt over 60, or should all my symptoms have passed by now, and this could all be down to anxiety

Sorry for all the questions, just feel so fed up just now, and being on antidepressants for 6 years seems a long time.

Thanks in advance x

Evelyn63

Re: New here looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »

Hi Stella Jane, if the symptoms are concerning you then they need addressed, theres no such thing as being too old, as obviously you are still having sweats so need something plus the anxiety needs addressed too.  I am 63 and just recently got prescribed Vagifem for VA.  Wish I had know about it sooner.  This is what frustrates me, I went frequently to GP about cystitis and UTI's yet they just kept prescribing antibiotics.  It was only when I got to see my own GP who is excellent but constantly booked up weeks ahead the VA and hormones were ever mentioned.  She also directed me to this site.  Im a health professional myself but admit to being very ignorant of menopausal matters and HRT, this site is amazing both in knowledge and support from the other members.  Do have a read round, I spent hours on here at the start , I couldn't get enough of the information !!

Freckles

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »

Hello there
Welcome!
 I'm a newbie myself but have learnt so much in the past three months.
It's been a huge learning curve for me and I've read so many clinical academic research articles on the subject.
I'm far from an expert on the subject, unlike more knowledgeable posters on MM, like Mary G.
You can start taking HRT over  60, but it needs to be the right HRT at the right dose. So many women seem to get prescribed ineffective dated HRT. so do read around MM for more information as to the best clinically advised treatment regimes.
Get your hormonal levels checked first  too - oestrogen. testosterone, and progesterone plus FSH and LH levels too.  Even if they are at "normal" levels it doesn't mean your hormones are functioning well.
You could first have a look at the benefits of transdermal oestrogen (i.e. gels, which seem to be safer and far more effective than the cheaper NHS prescribed HRT tablets).
Six years on AD's seems too a long time without any positive benefits IMO - doesn't seem effective if your problems are hormonal related! My GP tried to say the same thing  re AD's but I  went onto Studd's regime 9 weeks ago and have felt so much better than I have in years   
Do your reading and research., ask questions on here etc., so you can go back to to your  GP more informed and more confident in asking for what you need.  xx
xx

pinkdove

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »

Hi again, and thanks for your advice, sorry it's taken so long to answer, just come back from my gp, as i had bloods done last week, and my pv level was high, anyway saw a lady doctor, and she was fantastic, really listened to me, and has offered me a lwo dose hrt, as she thinks it will help with all my symptoms.

So after explaining the risks, and the benefits, she has made me an appointment in a fortnight, and asked me to visit this site, to ask, or look for the benefits it has for other ladies, and to collect as much info as i can, she said they usually start on tablets, then if they are not tolerated, patches, and did say it would be both oestrgen and another, sorry i cant remember which one,

So any advice would be really appreciated, i am seriously thinking of starting, as my quality of life is not great at the moment, also i have a problem with my weight, i have pt on 2 stone since taking ad's so i thought if i felt better on hrt, i could start to reduce the ad's

Anyway for the first time i feel somebody has listened to me instead of just brushing my symptoms off as depression and anxiety.  xxx

Evelyn63

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »

That's great pink dove, isn't it amazing the difference when someone actually takes time to listen seriously to our concerns.  I can't offer any advice on HRT as I'm only recently started on Vagifem, which is just a small dose of Oestrogen applied topically rather than full HRT , but I'm sure some of the other ladies will be able to advise. You have done the best thing by going to GP and hopefully in a few weeks you will see and experience the benefits.

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »

pinkdove, that is very good news.   I have used many different types of HRT over a number of years and this is my advice.  I don't think oral HRT is as good as the transdermal variety because it can cause digestive problems and much of it can get lost in your digestive system meaning you don't get a steady dose.

I wouldn't recommend patches either.  There are other members who like them but I found they didn't stick well, left a horrid black mark and itchy rash and I could never get enough oestrogen out of them - this was backed up with blood tests.  This is only my person view but I really hated going around with a patch stuck to my backside and because I go to the beach and swim at lot in the summer, it was impractical. 

I now use Oestrogel (oestrogen gel that you rub on your skin everyday) and Utrogestan (progesterone capsule used vaginally for a few days each month) and it is the best HRT regime I have had by a very, very long way.   The beauty of the Oestrogel is that it is flexible meaning you can adjust the dose to suit your needs and I have found it works much better than any other form of oestrogen.  I reached breakthrough once I was on this regime whereas previously I had felt half baked and not quite there. 

I would also suggest you use HRT cyclically (monthly bleed) rather than on a continuous combined basis (bleed free option).  This does mean having periods again but I think it is worth it in order to feel good for most of the time.  If you use the bleed free option, it means taking progesterone everyday and that can bring down your mood and take away the feelgood factor and benefits that the oestrogen provides.

I have been around the block on this one but now I am 55, about 9 years post menopause and I can honestly say that I feel roughly the same as I did when I was 30 so I must be doing something right!

I hope that helps.

aarell

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »

Did your GP prescribe your current HRT regiem Mary G? I've read so much positives about it.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »

aarell, no, my GP knows virtually nothing about the menopause and even less about HRT and very definitely didn't prescribe it for me!  She was completely useless so I did my own thing for a while and then sought the advice of Professor John Studd which was one of those life changing moments, they don't happen very often and I'm not easily impressed but this changed my life and was the best 300 quid I ever spent.

He put me on 3 pumps of Oestrogel (now reduced to 2 pumps), a tiny bead of testosterone everyday and 100mg Utrogestan (used vaginally) for 7 days each month but I have now stretched my cycle to 5 weeks which I can safely do because I have regular scans. 

As you probably know, he is the leading world expert on all things hormone/menopause related and this is his tried and tested regime following years of his own research. 

You can try to get his regime from your NHS GP but they probably won't prescribe it in the same way and will probably try and tell you to take more Utrogestan for much longer - something I would never do.  Most women have a consultation with Professor Studd and he will then write to your GP with his recommended prescription.  Alternatively, why not ask your doctor to simply read his website!

Hope that helps.

aarell

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »

Yes thank you... think you have just given me the light bulb moment!

pinkdove

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »

Thanks ladies, so much to think about, but with being a complete novice i dont know where to start, Mary i really cant afford to go private, but i will mention your suggestion to my gp.

This is such a new avenue for me, and i feel optimistic, as i have always been treated for depression and anxiety, so the thought of feeling somewhere near normal and getting off ad's is something i had given up on'

I dont really want to bleed again, but i agree if i feel good most of the time, then it's a small price to pay.....so much to think about and take in, thanks again xx

Evelyn63

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »

Thanks ladies, so much to think about, but with being a complete novice i dont know where to start, Mary i really cant afford to go private, but i will mention your suggestion to my gp.

Pink dove might be worth as Mary suggests, printing out the information from Prof Studd's web site and showing it to your GP when you go next week, if nothing else, it will show her you are up to date and have done your own research so she will be less inclined to fob you off with the one size fits all options that seems to be common practice.

warwick01

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »

Mary G

May I ask why you reduced from 3 pumps of gel to 2 pumps ? I am using 3 pumps and my anxiety is really bad so wondering if it's too high? I am 57

Wx

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:43 PM »

warwick01, I reduced for two reasons, firstly, I seem to soak up Oestrogel like a sponge (I have very high blood levels of oestrogen) and secondly, I was fed up with having heavy periods.  I have not noticed any difference since reducing to two pumps except lighter periods.  I do split the dose and use one pump every 12 hours to keep the levels stable so perhaps that helps? 

One more thing... I take DHEA tablets everyday and my gynaecologist thinks I am producing my own oestrogen again so that could explain the high blood levels.  I used to take 25mg of DHEA everyday but she suggested I reduce to 10mg which I have but again, I haven't noticed any difference. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »

:welcomemm:

pinkdove

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »

Hi again, what a load of info and thanks for that, I have spoke to a few friends and my sister in law, and all seem to agree with Mary, they are on oestrogen and progestorone, i have been told that the progestorone is best used by inserting into the vagina, and the oestrogen used a a gel.

I have made my mind up and i want to start hrt, now i dont have an appt with my gp till mid July, so have made a tel appt, for next week, to ask her if i can start with this, now have any of you ladies been started on this form of hrt ?  and i would like use the continuous method,

I am feeling dreadful, the sweats are getting worse, have a kirby in my hair as i type, and a tissue in my hand, oh the joys of the menopause, any info much appreciated xx

Pages: [1] 2 3