Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utogestran 100mg *help*  (Read 7115 times)

Nellendra

Utogestran 100mg *help*
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:51:03 AM »

Hi
Has anyone been changed from Evorel sequi 50 patches to tablet form of Utrogestran 100mg and a 25mg oestrogen patch?
My consultant wants to change my meds due to headaches, nausea and tinnitus.
Xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Utogestran 100mg *help*
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »

The Utro with the oestrogen patch will be a good combo to try.  This is a very low dose of oestrogen but it's worth starting low to see how you feel. DG x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

I changed from this to oestrogen gel and utestrogen.the gel is great cuz I had stomach problems with tablets. Having issues with the utestrogen so I  use it vaginally.  Still issues with it but a lot better! Good luck x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »

Why are you lowering your dose of oestrogen?  I really wouldn't use a 25mcg patch, I think that dose is far too low.  Also, I would take this opportunity to switch from patches to gel because it is far more effective and also very flexible because you can adjust the dose to suit your needs.

I would also recommend you use the Utrogestan vaginally because it works better (more of it reaches the womb whereas 50% gets lost in your digestive system when taken orally) and it has fewer side effects when used in that way.

Like many others on here, I am on the Professor Studd regime which is 2 pumps of Oestrogel (some women are on 3 pumps) and a tiny bead of testosterone everyday and 100mg Utrogestan (vaginally) for 7 days each month but I stretch it to every 5 weeks and I have to say it is the best HRT regime I have been on by a very, very long way. 

Nellendra

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »

It was suggested by the consultant as I'm having rotton side effects- headache/ nausea and tinnitus.
I think I'll mention what you suggested when I go in on thurs.
Thanks for the tips everyone. Xx

Trufflecat

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »

Gel might be better because it allows for easy tweaking of the dose

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »

Looking back at your posts - it may well be the progestogen in the Evorel causing the headaches so utrogestan may not give you headaches. You won't know until you try.

It looks like you hadn't missed any periods yet before starting HRT? This can be a problematic time with your own hormones going up and down dramatically - with the added HRT sometimes giving you side effects. I can see why the gynae suggested a low dose to start with and nothing wrong with trying with the 25 mcg patch as prescribed initially. There have been women on here who can't go to a high level of oestrogen straight away so in your position (where you are in menopause) I would follow the prescription and see how you feel with a change.

The only thing I would say against this is that you are changing two things at once - the progestogen and the oestrogen dose so you won't know which was causing your symptoms (if any!).

I have always found patches to be excellent and they dealt with my symptoms very soon - never needing to change the dose - but I was late in the peri-menopausal transition when I started so my own hormones levels were less unstable. The brand I use is Estradot which are very small and stick well. However it is a personal preference combined with which method lets you absorb more oestrogen more effectively, without side effects!

Hurdity x

Nellendra

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »

Thanks Hurdity
I am happy to try anything to get the balance right. Can't cope with these headaches any more..
:) X

Nellendra

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »

Well I went to my menopause clinic appointment today and it's all changed again - I was given femoston 1/10 mg . Fingers n toes crossed.  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »

Nellendra - Femoston is a good one to try as the progesterone in this one is kinder and suits many women very well.
Good luck and keep us posted.  DG x

Nellendra

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »

Thank you dancing girl . X

Does anyone know the amounts of oestrogen and progesterone in femoston 1/10 compared to Evorel sequi? And also how long the tablets take to work versus patches?
Thanks xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »

Nellendra - do look under TREATMENTS at the top of the page to find out about dosages.  Evorel patches are a medium dose HRT and Femoston 1/10 is a lower dose but the lower dose may well suit you OK and the headaches may have been to do with being on too high a dose.
If you are still using the patches, then meno symptoms may not return with this switch to Femoston.  If you have taken a break from HRT before starting this new HRT then it could take 2-4 weeks for symptoms to subside and up to 3 months for the full benefits to be felt.  Keep us posted.  Dg x

Nellendra

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:48:56 PM »

Once again thank you for the invaluable advice dancing girl
I went straight from patch to tablet in the same day so there has been no break whatsoever . I will look under treatments to see what I can find out. :) X

flutterby

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »

Hi Nellendra
In February I changed from Evorel Sequi 50 to Evorel 25 and Utrogestan 100mg (every day). I had been on cyclic HRT for 15 years. My periods had not stopped when I started HRT and every time I tried cont HRT I had breakthrough bleeding. It was suggested I change to this after starting to get spotting throughout the cycle.
Although I previously had no side effects to HRT I found I experienced headaches in the first 2 weeks which I put down to the Utrogestan. I haven't had any flushes or night sweats ( I always used to have night sweats just before the breakthrough bleeding) just occasional warm episodes. However I feel sometimes my bladder is irritated and slightly strange feelings as if the vaginal walls ar atrophying although things are definitely not dry!
Hope this is of some use. I must admit I was surprised I could manage on half the oestrogen Flutterby x

Nellendra

Re: Femoston 1/10 * please help*
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »

Ok, I ended up being switched onto Femoston 1/10 not Utogestran. Not sure why but the consultant thought that was the best idea.
If i'm honest I now want to come off hrt because I don't feel like I have any choice. I am still suffering very bad headaches on a daily basis, constant tinnitus which has nearly drove me mad, a bit of nausea which is bearable. The headaches and tinnitus are not bearable.
I rang my consultant last tues and am still waiting for a call back, I left a message asking if it was ok for me to come off hrt straight away or if I had to wean myself off. I have not had a response so I'm none the wiser so far.
Does anyone on here know?
I am open to any ideas or advice anyone has.
(I still have regular periods, am 48, get a few hot flushes but nothing major, the reason for taking hrt was mainly as I was feeling generally unwell with a whole host of symptoms incl headaches.. ) I am really at a loss as to what to do. I could go to my gp but I feel they don't really know how to deal with complex peri issues. So far, I have tried Evorel sequi for 3 months which didn't agree with me - headaches, tinnitus and bad nausea. been on Femoston for 2 1/2 months and headaches are dreadful, tinnitus is terrible and nausea is bearable.
I'm not sure if I would be a candidate for the famous Dr.S meds, but would be willing to try anything.
:) x
Pages: [1] 2