Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MP Shot in Yorkshire  (Read 6166 times)

Joyce

Re: MP Shot in Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »

I wish we had never been given this referendum.
Meg

I agree, especially when it's cost someone their life.

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »

Thank goodness we do not have a gun culture as they do in the USA, as this awful, fatal attack would be a more common occurrence. I always remember the comment of an American friend, who said how lucky I was because I live in a country where we do not have the right to bear arms in our constitution. While guns exist, dysfunctional people may get access here, but at least there are checks in place. Nor do most policemen carry guns. Those who do undergo psychological testing. My BIL failed. Thank goodness. But that's another story.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »

Just shocking and tragic beyond words  :'(

Hurdity x

walking the dog

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »

Very sad and very frightening

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:46 PM »

Please don't blame the Referendum.  It appears from various reports today that many years ago the man under arrest bought plans on how to build a hand-gun.  It's on BBC News now.

Parliament has been recalled.  What I will add is that MPs should cancel their social media accounts as this is inviting trouble, apparently several women MPs have been targeted with awful suggestions about should they be raped for example. [Jeremy Vine today].  Because social media is available doesn't mean that they should be part of it.

We used to get letters when our MP was holding a 'surgery', now it's all done on Facebook which we don't subscribe too  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »

I agree.  If this man could kill because of the referendum, he could kill because of any other political or personal issue that displeased him.  And we don't know it was the referendum anyway.  Bearing in mind his reported links to white supremacist organisations, he could also have been angered by her support for Syrian refugee children.  Or any other 'reason'.  People who think hate is the way forward seldom need a 'reason' to hate.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »

They can always justify their reasons too >sigh<  :'(

breeze

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »

The trouble is this referendum has generated so much anger and even hate.  It's this type of atmosphere that can spark off the unstable to do unthinkable things. 

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »

He is clearly unstable as can be seen from his response when asked his name.  He has been charged but is unlikely to go to trial if found to be mentally unstable, but teo little girls will grow up without their mother due to his actions.

However, one must not forget that the perpetrator could well have parents/family living with what he has done who had no inkling of how he could act but they could be vilified for having produced him  :(

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »

Yep.  His mother is said to be heart broken ………..

If the Government of the day hadn't 'run' this like an Election Campaign ……….. The Prime Minister should have kept Big Gob Shut!

Dorothy

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »

The trouble is this referendum has generated so much anger and even hate.  It's this type of atmosphere that can spark off the unstable to do unthinkable things.

I'm not sure it has generated the anger and hate.  It has just provided a vehicle for these emotions to be expressed.  Hate-filled people will always find a way to express their hate. 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 05:28:55 PM »

I think that all MPs should have a Police-person present, I've thought this for years. 

After all they have First Aid skills should a person feel unwell, a skill that the MP may not possess. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:47:36 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2]