Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now I know why I have such nerve pain  (Read 6085 times)

countrybumpkin

Now I know why I have such nerve pain
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »

Previously posted about my back troubles ;) but 3 weeks ago things went from bad to impossible. I could not stand or walk for more than 30 seconds without agonising nerve pain from back/through hip and right down to foot on left side.
Had a mri scan and got results today.
My L5/S1 disc has collapsed and massive bulge compressing all the nerves. simples >:(
Now on way to neurosurgeon who my Dr says will almost certanly want to operate :o :o :o  I have absolute terror of anything medical.
GP said I could look into other options available privately like IDD ( traction) therapy etc but feels that surgery may be inevitable.
I have wheelchair now  ::)

countrybumpkin

Re: Now I know why I have such nerve pain
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »

As my GP said " well its cut and dried what the problem is which is good in a way!". I knew what he meant.
Now we have the problem of opinions on what to do. If surgeon says I have to have op because ..... the thats that but there is always the risk you can be in more pain after surgery than before let alone serious risks is he slips ::)
Will get surgeons opinion plus others and then decide but I am terrified of surgery i have to admit.

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »

Have a hug CB - pain like that must be making you very weary.  My MIL is suffering at the moment with something similar but they haven't considered it is her back - just keep prescribing stronger and stronger painkillers.

On a positive note, I know quite a few people who have had back surgery like that and honestly, they were up and walking about in no time and had no problems.  It's a much simpler procedure than it was years ago when people were bedridden for weeks.  It must be better than suffering like you are now and having to resort to a wheelchair. x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »

I have joined a couple of other forums for spines but you get such conflicting opinions of everything!  The surgeon I am going to operated on two people I know sucessfully and my Gp assures me that all 3 neurosurgeons that do lower backs are equally as good.

My GP didn't really offer other treatments although he did say I might want to investigate things available privately as well as an operation.

I am seeing a very good physio who actually reduces my pain level for a few days so will ask her opinion as well as she was saying surgery should be last resort unless the nerve compression is damaging the nerve so will see what she has to say tomorrow.

If I sit down most of the day i am not in pain really but within 30 -60 seconds of standing wham it hits right down to my foot. The more I try and stand/walk the worse it gets and the less time I have before it hits. 

So maybe lots of servants and me sat on my backside all day could be an answer ;D ;D

ellie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »

Oh dear  countrybumpkin  it sounds very much like you have the same problem as I had.....I have had two surgeries on my spine, the last one was last July.    Perhaps you have seen my posts?......If you want to PM me I will help if I can. So you have someone who really understands what you are going through 😪

losttheplot

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »

Sorry to hear that cb. Hope they can help you, now they know the cause of your pain.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »

Countrybumpkin, my Dad had a laminectomy (disc removed and the vertebrae each side fused together with metal rods) 45 years ago when the surgery was very new.  Before the surgery, he was unable to stand (he was 32 - my mum was 7 months pregnant with my brother, I was 2 ....) - Dad carried my brother into and out of the church for his Christening, 3 months after the surgery.  Apart from the odd sciatic twinge (nothing really bad, and due to nerve damage), Dad had no further back problems and remained completely mobile until 4 days before his death from cancer at the age of 73.

These days, laminectomies are almost routine for neurosurgeons. 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:02:20 PM »

Thanks Scampi - amazing for your dad :) 
The physio I am seeing said today that although surgery should still be last resort as such with keyhole etc and all the advances it is so much more successful nowadays and is only now done by neurosurgeons rather than in days gone by by any orthop surgeon :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »

Traction was the treatment of choice until 'recent' years ……. with weights attached to the affected side so that a gap between the discs enabled pain relief and healing.  The traction was released as the pain levels improved.  Then I read that surgical intervention was more often offered, probably because it means less time in a Hospital bed! because traction can take months.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »

Traction was the treatment of choice until 'recent' years ……. with weights attached to the affected side so that a gap between the discs enabled pain relief and healing.  The traction was released as the pain levels improved.  Then I read that surgical intervention was more often offered, probably because it means less time in a Hospital bed! because traction can take months.

Traction was then used for fractures too. my 5 year old brother was in bed with his leg in traction for 2 months with a fractured femur.
Countrybumpkin: hope things work out well for you.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »

Yep. 

Noodle

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »

Hiya, glad you have got a diagnosis.

I think I said on an earlier post of yours that with this type of injury there is a window of opportunity for surgery with a successful outcome.  Leave it too long and you may as well not bother having the surgery as it will not alleviate, just cause you additional suffering.

I urge you to read up about it, read the clinical trials that support what I have said.  I was absolutely terrified of having the surgery, but once I understood the importance of the speed for surgery, it made my mind up.

x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »

If a neurosurgeon says I need surgery because my nerves are being affected then there is no choice. This happened to my neighbour and they operated 2 weeks later. She was told exactly same thing if they didn't she would never get the nerve function back.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »

I wouldn't advise private surgical intervention because you don't get 'cover': i.e. the Consultant pays his Team to take part with him during the operation.  In a private hospital it is un-likely that there will be a crash team, X-ray facilities, other emergency care.  I didn't realise until I had been private for several operations that I paid for the speciality I was receiving, but had there been a problem I would have been transported to the NHS Hospital 1 mile away  ::) where everything is to hand.  Waiting for a decision plus Ambulance time could have been dangerous.

If it's a Private Hospital with all care on site that is different.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »

There won't be any private operation, if I need surgery it will be on nhs but the system is that you see consultant privately for an opinion and then ......   not fair for those who can't pay for an initial consultation.
Pages: [1] 2