Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 60 and starting HRT...any advice experienes  (Read 3442 times)

Bridget

60 and starting HRT...any advice experienes
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »

Hello my first post but ive benefitted from everyone's generously shared wisdom and experiences,  thank you.  Im very past meno symptoms but reading on here of women on Hrt at my age and older I gave some thought and asked my very insightful GP who listened and said sure well give it a trial for six months.  This is against a background of crappy meno, low mood and thinking id been ihabitated by an alien.  I have been prescribed anti depressants and did well mood wise but it totally destroyed my ability to orgasm.  On different AD now with supposedly less sexual dysfunction side effects but I am aiming to come off them....The current thinking that the past research re risks of HRT was flawed and a younger friend in the midst of meno being told by  a leading gyny here in Ireland that 'the benefits outway the risks' led me to rethinking Hrt.  I have been prescribed angeliq 1 mg and 2 mg tabs.  Sorry for long post just wondering anyone similar to me out there.  I was I think on hrt around the age of 52 but really cant remember for how long...I just want to feel good and energised for a while....thanks if you got to the end :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 60 and starting HRT...any advice experienes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you use the 'search' button for Angeliq you will see how others have got on with it.  Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask away.  Someone will be along with more knowledge about HRT I'm sure.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »

Me! I started HRT at age 60. I struggled with progesterone, as I am sensitive to it and had a few ups and downs, but now I have had to have a hysterectomy, I no longer need it. Before HRT several doctors had suggested CFS, but even a low dose made a difference. My gynaecologist said I could carry on 'forever' as long as I don't have any health issues that would make it unwise.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »

Hi olive

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Nanadotty

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »

Good afternoon Olive,  I to am post meno but only for two years. In my ignorance I thought it was over but for the last few months I've been suffering with night sweats, aches and pains and dryness down below. So I went to my gp and she gave me some estriol cream for my lady bits and it's working a treat. While I was there she said I could take HRT but I was unsure so she told me to go home and have a good look around this site. After only about 20mins I wondered why I wasn't on it. I got HRT the next day. Six days in though and I got head pains and I'm hoping it's just a blip and I'll be fine because all my symptoms have really calmed down. I'm only 55 but I'm hoping for a lot of healthy and energetic years ahead.
Can I ask how many attempts did it take you to get the right HRT. I think like you I might be sensitive to progesterone.