Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: weight.  (Read 5425 times)

zipster

weight.
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:15 AM »

Anyone else find it almost imposible to lose weight? I have been walking the last 2 weeks, no alcohol and eating healthy and hardly lost anything. My friends eat worse than me and lose it. I have gone up 2 dress sizes the last 12 months.

Jinja

Re: weight.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »

I go to the gym regularly but I'm slowly putting weight on and it's not muscle. Some days I just seem to be hungry all the time and of course it's carbohydrates I'm craving not healthy fruit and veg!

PompeyLou

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

Hi.. I had a eating disorder for 7 years and  I  had my overies out last July and put on soooo much weight and I wasn't even eating... I am now eating although not a massive amount but I've gone from a size 8/10 to a 12/14 and I absolutely hate my body .. I work with 4 year olds so I'm on the go all day but it's piling on and I can't seem to stop it.
xx

Kate50

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »

Are we talking hrt weight cos I put on a stone never use to bf. Sorry ladies but was only 8 stone bf I had list weight since meno and muscle mass

zipster

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »

No i am not on anything.

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

Oh I think it happens doesn't it you seem to go one way or the other.  I suffer with meno symptoms and was always told skinny birds do cos they got less oestrogen . And oestrogen sits in fat layers! So extra fat at meno is good but not after meno apparently?

matildamouse

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »

Yes I can identify! I have gained 22 lbs in total. The only thing which I found helped was a combo of the 5:2 diet and intermittent fasting. I have lost about 7 lbs now on the scale but funny enough my clothes still feel tight especially around my hips and thighs...I am on HRT. I walk and do pilates and eat VERY careful. What a nightmare!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »

Women's metabolism slows as we age, and especially around menopause when fat distribtuion changes - waistlines do thicken even if you manage to lose weight.

At some point during peri you need to cut down your portion size drastically and increase fruit veg protein and exercise. I lost 10 pounds even though I was not very overweight by changing my diet very recently and I am 63. I cut out sugar and reduced carbs, changed to low fat and do lots of exercise. It should be possible to lose weight even at this stage in life. I am on HRT as well. Important to increase muscle mass defo - as this speeds metabolism - so need to do resistance exercises eg body conditioning or pilates. This might be difficult if thyroid and/or testosterone are deficient.

Do get thyroid tested if you are putting on weight despite cutting down carbs/sugar and increasing exercise.

Sorry this is hasty - have to work tonight so must dash!

There is some info on diet and weight on this site here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Hurdity :) x

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:28:47 PM »

I also think that low oestrogen slows down metabolism as oestrogen is stimulatory in nature.

I found when I first hit peri that I struggled to lose weight (just had a stone to go that had gradually crept up). However, when I had the out of control oestrogen surges, my heart rate and metabolism went really high so i was burning calories like no-ones business just laying in bed! You could see my stomach moving all day and it was exhausting even walking from one room to the next. The nausea stopped me eating so I lost 2 stone in 2 months so its difficult to measure what I would have lost if eating normally.

Once I went on the pill I put the weight back on very quickly as my metabolism slowed down again. Perhaps part of the natural ageing process is linked to the lower oestrogen levels affecting fat burning and lower testosterone affecting muscle retention?

Hurdity - You sound like you're full of energy! I'm jealous. Although I have my Oestrogel to try now, so lets see...

Dana

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 04:57:41 AM »

Yes I can identify! I have gained 22 lbs in total. The only thing which I found helped was a combo of the 5:2 diet and intermittent fasting. I have lost about 7 lbs now on the scale but funny enough my clothes still feel tight especially around my hips and thighs...I am on HRT. I walk and do pilates and eat VERY careful. What a nightmare!

Hang in there. 7 pounds (about 3kg) probably isn't enough weight to really notice much difference in your clothes yet. It also depends on where you have lost the weight from. Keep doing what you're doing and don't lose motivation just because you can't see it in your clothes yet because you will pretty soon.

I put on a lot of weight over the last 5 years or so, mainly because of the depression I experienced because of health issues (not just meno), and I basically lost all interest in exercising and eating the right food. I've now been doing Weight Watchers since just before Christmas and I've now lost about 7kg (about 15 pounds) and it's only really in the last month or two that I actually started to notice a difference in my clothes. You really need to lose at least 5kg (about 11 pounds) before you start to notice a difference.

To be honest, for years I've been one of those people who has said it was "impossible" for me to lose weight. I've blamed menopause, metabolism, age, HRT, etc for why I couldn't lose weight, but in all honesty it was what I was sticking in my mouth. Oh I said I was eating really healthy meals, and I was, but it's those portion sizes and the mindless stuff you eat between meals that does the damage, or that chocolate bar you eat in the car on the way home from the shops that no one else knows about. Certainly it does take longer to lose weight now than it did when we were in our 20s and 30s, but then a lot of things are different now to what they were back then.

The thing I've learned about myself is that I need accountability and going to Weight Watchers means I get that. When no one else sees what your weight is it's always really easy to justify sticking that biscuit or piece of cake in your gob, but when you know that someone is going to be weighing you every week it makes you think twice before you have something you shouldn't. I still have a way to go, but I'm determined to stick with it until the end of the year.

What has also helped is that I've cranked up the amount of exercise I do. I used to struggle with 30 minutes of brisk walking, but since Christmas I've increased that to anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes a day, depending on whether I walk once or twice a day. I've also found that where I used to struggle with 30 minutes, that now seems like just a brief stroll to me now. I always walk for at least 45 minutes in one go, and quite often it will be for a full hour. I've always loved walking so that's my exercise of choice, but everyone needs to find an activity they like to do, because then you're more likely to do it regularly.

It needs to be a 2 pronged approach - what you eat and what you do. You can probably still lose weight if you don't exercise, but exercise will definitely help you increase your metabolism and that will of course help to burn fat quicker. However, exercise/activity alone won't help if you are still eating the wrong stuff (unless you're an athlete). The other thing we need to be careful of is to not DECREASE what we're eating too much. It's a natural tendency to reduce calories to lose weight, but that's not always the right thing to do. The old "starvation mode" terms gets used a bit too much, but we can certainly reduce what we eat by too much. We definitely need to eat to lose weight - it just has to be the right type and proportion of food.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:23:14 AM by Dana »

Stella1

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Hi. New here. Glad to have found somewhere to share problems / solutions. I've been on Citalopram for a couple of years for depression & during that time I was on the 5:2 diet and lost a stone to start with, then very gradual weight loss but no weight gain. If I binged over Christmas / holidays etc I soon lost the excess with a return to 2 days a week fasting. I've now come off the ADs and seem to be putting on weight despite the fasting. I walk the dog every day but don't go to the gym or anything. I eat fairly healthily (a couple of veggi meals a week, fish at least once a week, wine only at weekends, no sugary drinks...) but on my non fasting days I now seem much more hungry than before & crave unhealthy foods (chocolate, crisps, butter... and wine!). I was hoping to go on hrt to combat mood swings, rather than return to AD, but I'm now worried that this will increase the weight gain. Any thought?

Dyan

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »

I've put on weight recently especially round the middle. I'm also very bloated. I have gone from a size 10 jeans to a 12 and they are getting tight.

peri

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 12:50:28 PM »

Yes Zipster, I put on half a stone overnight when I started on hrt and it's never gone.  This despite the fact that I don't eat anymore than I used to.  I don't feel it's an age think either, I feel if I came off hrt it would go, however I wouldn't be functioning then so it's the price I pay. Cutting down would help but I don't overeat anyway and i'm not prepared to be on a permanent diet as I believe life's too short x

zipster

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »

I am not on HRT or anything for hormones.