Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy advice please  (Read 8762 times)

linz57

Hysteroscopy advice please
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »

I have a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal scan scheduled for Thursday morning and my doctor has intimated that I may well need a hysteroscopy too.
I realise I'm getting ahead of myself but I want to be as prepared as I can be, so, I would like to ask you ladies whether you would advise biting the bullet and having it done there and then, or booking an appointment to have at least some anaesthetic.  I have had an endometrial biopsy done there and then , but I'm imagining a hysteroscopy is a more invasive  procedure that takes awhile.
Roughly how long does the procedure take? ( dreading it)😖

Tinkerbell

Re: Hysteroscopy advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:18:30 PM »

I thought a endometrial biopsy was a hysterscopy :-\
We have a new clinic doing them at our local hospital without anaesthetic, but a gynaecologist, from the same hospital, I saw a few months back only did them under general.
Sorry I am not much help am I  ::)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:20:03 PM by Tinkerbell »

linz57

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »

Ooh, I'm not certain , but I thought a hysteroscopy was having a camera put up inside the womb and liquid being put in to make the images clearer on a monitor. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it eek!😖
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:03:38 PM by linz57 »

linz57

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »

Off for my scans this morning, wish me luck please ladies. I've had gynae scans before but I'm finding the older I get, the more anxious and fearing the worst I get.
Oh well, big girl panties on and deep breaths, I just hope to god I can hold a full bladder of water long enough this time it it could be embarrassing 🙄

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »

How it all goes well, I think the full bladder is the worst bit!

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »

I had a hysteroacopy about three weeks ago where womb biopsies were taken, its my second one ,the first time was uncomfortable but the more recent one was very very painful no anaesthetic at all , however , consultant did say afterwards irs unusual to feel that level of pain ? I normally have a high pain threshold so maybe I was having a bad day. Id not want to have it again minus anaesthetic so if you can have son kind of local one id go for it 😊

linz57

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »

After my scans showed an endometrial thickness of 5.6mm, the doctor said she wants to do the hysteroscopy and biopsy. Anyway, I'd already made up my mind I wasn't having the hysteroscopy done without anaesthetic , I want s general, so she has suggested I get both procedures done at the same time when I'm under. Part of me wishes I'd just gone ahead and had it done today but then again I'm glad I'll be out of it, even more so now you've said how painful it was wtd. I do hope your results came back fine.
Something to look forward to after my upcoming holiday.....😖
Tinkerbell, it's not easy the older we get is it? Think I had three trips to the loo while I was there .....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:00:27 PM by linz57 »

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:31:03 PM »

Hi linz57

There are several threads about this! I've posted about my experience elsewhere as have others. I certainly would not have a GA - but that's because I've never had one and this is a very minor procedure not an operation. I had a thickened lining (not surprising because I'm on cyclical HRT) and an irregularity - shown up by US and TVS so had to go for hysteroscopy and biopsy.  The main city hospital do not do it under GA - it really should not be necessary. It's really quick. All they said (in the letter/instructions) was take a couple of Ibuprofen and a couple of paracetamol an hour before the procedure. I did that and barely felt anything. A little cramping later on but nothing to worry about. I don't remember anything about liquid. I had my legs in stirrups ( very undignified!) but was able to watch the whole thing on the screen. The biopsy is just a little nick of tissue. It was all done in about 15 mins I would say. The irregularity turned out to be a small fibroid and the biopsy was clear. 5.6 mm is not very thick - are you on HRT or have you been - and if so cyclical or not?

Really no need to worry - if you have an experienced gynae all should be well!

Hurdity x

linz57

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »

I'm on Conti hrt Hurdity and yes, 5.6mm isn't very thick but I have had some bleeding. I did ask the doctor if the procedure was really necessary but of course she has to follow protocol.
I have had a biopsy done before without painkillers and it wasn't too bad but a nurse friend of mine advised me against having the hysteroscopy without anaesthetic. Maybe I could ask for sedation like they provide for colonoscopies or endoscopies? Hmm...
I have had general anaesthetic three times in the past and although it's not ideal, this procedure is only about 30 minutes so hopefully I shouldn't  need too much anaesthetic. Mind you, I do always say I need horse tranquillisers to knock me out haha.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:19:22 PM by linz57 »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

The advice is all a bit conflicting  :-\
At my local hospital the gynae
I saw wanted to do a hysterscopy under a general but the female consultant who ran a special clinic doing them didn't, just the suggested painkillers before hand advice.

katsclaws

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »

Hello Linz57, Mine was done with a light GA and I felt fine almost straight away afterwards. General Anaesthetics are so safe these days and I would not have wanted a hysteroscopy done without it. I too had an endometrial biopsy done without any painkillers or anaesthetic and that was ok.

linz57

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »

Yes it is all so confusing so I think we each just have to go with what we feel most comfortable doing. I feel I've been prodded about so much over the past year or two that I now think if I can avoid any pain, I'll plump for that route.
Thanks so much everyone, it's interesting to read different experiences

Mary1962

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »

I had a hysteroscopy about 2 years ago and endometrial biopsy after a failed pipelle biopsy attempt and didn't need anything beyond the recommended standard over the counter painkillers they advise about an hour before.  I had no discomfort or pain during the procedure but everyone is different. Prior to that I'd had 3 inner and outer ultrasounds which showed thickened lining and possible fibroid and/or cyst which they obviously needed to check out.  All was well, just a fibroid and hormones causing the thickened lining in my case.  Had a further scan last year just to check things after one very heavy period but lining was totally normal. Hormones are finally dipping away.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »

If a patient is anxious and tense then they are likely to suffer pain through association.  If a GA is available I would go with it.  As long as you have someone to drive you home afterwards  ;)

linz57

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »

Oh yes, now hubby is retired he can't get out of chauffeuring me to appointments 😉
Pages: [1] 2 3