Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie at 42  (Read 3441 times)

RedFraggle

Newbie at 42
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »

Hi folks
I'm a newbie here, almost 43 and have had symptoms for around 4 years but the mood swings and weepiness made me finally see the GP where my FSH was measured at 26 so they're talking HRT.
Not sure how I feel about that because 1. I never got on with hormonal contraception and 2. I'm allergic to soya and I think a lot of HRT is derived from soya.
Back to the GP in a couple of weeks (she's on holiday) so here to gain some insight in the meantime.  My main issues are mood swings, inability to concentrate and headaches. I can manage most of the rest at the moment.

Taz2

Re: Newbie at 42
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »

Hi RedFraggle - welcome to the forum - lots of help and advice on here!

I have an allergy to soya products but have been on HRT patches for a number of years. Utrogestan (a progesterone) does have soya as a constituent but I haven't found it in others.

Taz x  :)

limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »

Hi Redfraggle

:welcomemm:

Perhaps a transdermal route (patches,gels) would be the thing to consider given your soya allergy. There's more information in the green bar at the top. Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.

RedFraggle

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »

Thanks for making me feel welcome folks.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »

Hi Redfraggle

:welcomemm: from me too.

As Taz says the HRT patches do not contain soya - and nor do the tablets. As she says the only product containing soya is utrogestan progesterone - but even so it is a very tiny amount so would depend on the natre of your allergy.

All the HRT types which contain estradiol (and indeed the ones made from horse urine) are manufactured in the lab from their initial ingredients - so although they come from a plant, the resultant hormone molecule does not contain traces of that plant as it is pure.

That FSH level is not very high - when in your cycle were the bloods taken? What have your periods been doing over the past few months or so and have you had any flushes or sweats?

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »

As an early meno lady I cannot recommend the rub on gel highly enough with 12 days of the utrogestan per mth used vaginally, its a fab combo and should make you feel brand new.... ;)

RedFraggle

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »

Hi Redfraggle

:welcomemm: from me too.

As Taz says the HRT patches do not contain soya - and nor do the tablets. As she says the only product containing soya is utrogestan progesterone - but even so it is a very tiny amount so would depend on the natre of your allergy.

All the HRT types which contain estradiol (and indeed the ones made from horse urine) are manufactured in the lab from their initial ingredients - so although they come from a plant, the resultant hormone molecule does not contain traces of that plant as it is pure.

That FSH level is not very high - when in your cycle were the bloods taken? What have your periods been doing over the past few months or so and have you had any flushes or sweats?

Hurdity x

Hi, I think it was day 10. I've had a lot of symptoms for about 3 to 5 years including cardiac stuff, flooding, mood swings, night sweats, hot flushes, vaginal discomfort,  anxiety and shortening of my cycle and it becoming sporadic. They're going to recheck my FSH and I'm going to suggest a day 3 blood test. Diabetes and thyroid are all normal. I'm back at the doctors this Thursday.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

At your age it is important that the docs test and acknowledge if you are going through an early menopause (ie periods stop before 45) so that you can definitely start on HRT to help protect your heart and bones. Hopefully you are on the road towards that now :)

Keep us posted!

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »

Hello & welcome!  Can't advise on patches as I'm on BCP myself, but I hope you find the right solution soon.

RedFraggle

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »

I've been prescribed Femostan today.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

Taz xx  :congrats:

RedFraggle

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »

Will do, will be a couple of weeks before I start them.

RedFraggle

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

So, I'm about 3 weeks in on the Femoston 2/10 and the difference is enormous. I have more energy, no headaches, more focus and the black cloud mood swings have gone. No issues relating to potential soya allergy either.
At this point in my cycle I would normally be feeling very "dark" mood wise and the general anxiety I was very aware of has lifted. Really hoping things continue in this vein.
My repeat bloods were lower but the GP said she remained happy with the diagnosis and I'm thinking the obvious positive effect from the HRT supports that.