Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hoping for some answers  (Read 3278 times)

Eve53

Hoping for some answers
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:15:36 PM »

Hi. I am new to MM, and it's taken forever to work out how to how to post😤. Anyway I'm well into my peri menopause journey. First tree years weren't too bad with just erratic periods. Then my mood dipped quickly, and night sweats, few aches and pains. I could cope. Now I an having flashes, irritable moods, no energy, and a feeling of despondency. This last two weeks I have had a big dip in my energy. Not sure if this is due to me trying to reduce pain killers I have had to be on for a while. I am try the natural route and know that I should be avoiding sugar. Not always easy ;). My appetite has changed, and although I eat, my tastebuds seem to have changed. It's not helped the weight I have gained though :(. I hope someone out there can let me know if all I've said is normal........please. Beginning to worry. Xx

dazned

Re: Hoping for some answers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

I dont think you need to worry,if you read the posts you sound pretty normal to all of  us here !

Search around and have a good read then ask away  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »

Hello Even3 and welcome to the forum.

Yep, all sounds pretty standard regrettably! There are many ladies here who can identify with your comments and some experts too who can advise you.

You are not alone on this journey and sending hugs.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »

Oops, Eve not Even!

Take care.

K.

Eve53

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »

Thank you Dazned, Sparkle, and Kathleen 😊. It's been so nice of you to alleviate my fears. I saw my regular dr today, and she checked me out. Apparently my throat was a bit red, so on top of everything else, think I've had some bug. Changing my co cododamol intake has affected my body too. I have been on them for years due to osteoarthritis and didn't realise how addictive they are!! I was trying to come off them too quick. So between all my menopause symptoms it's been dragging me down. I really want of them though, as it's surprising what they do to you, and with my hormones being all over the place, I don't need to add them to the mix. Has anyone else had problems with them? Thanks once again girls, my anxiety has been in overdrive. 😘Xx :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »

Hi Eve53

:welcomemm: from me too.

I wondered how old you are - 53 by any chance?

There is a lot of information on lifestyle changes which are important at this stage in our lives, some of which can help lessen the impact of menopause and improve our health now and in the future ie diet, stress, sleep, exercise, weight, alcohol and smoking. Cutting down on caffeine and alcohol have been shown ( I understand) to help reduce the intensity of hot flushes in ewomen, as does keep to healthy BMI and taking regular exercise.

There is some info here  on this site and on the NHS website too:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Have you thought of HRT? You may not feel ready for this yet if you can cope with your symptoms but for many of us it has given us a new lease of life - there really is no need to suffer as you don't know how long symptoms will continue - so do read  up as much as you can and we can try to help if you have any more questions.

Hurdity x :)

Eve53

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »

Hi Hurdity. Thank you for getting back to me😊. I am aware of changing my lifestyle. The weight gain took a bit of getting used to, as it seemed to happen so quick!. I am 53 btw, lol well spotted😄. What age are you? I don't smoke, and normally I drink a lot of water, and eat healthy, but last few months with different stresses and anxiety I have been eating somethings not so good. I was taking a lot of supplements, but ran out over Christmas, so feel I need to re address what I need. At the moment I'm just dealing with coming off these painkillers. I think it's important to achieve that as they probably haven't been helping me really. I spoke to my Dr about HRT when I feel low I think I'll go for it.  But have very little knowledge of them all. I was told by a menopause nurse as I wasn't a year free from periods, I could get coil fitted, but I'd get my periods back, and I'd have to take something else to combat cancer of the womb if I had the coil fitted. It all put me off. I'll be a year free in April, and my dr said she would consider HRT in March. My luck I'll get them back again. Thank for websites I'll have a look. Everyone on here seems to know about HRT, and favour it, instead of natural route. Thank you for taking the time to help me Hurdity. Eve :)xx

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:45 PM »

Oo-er sounds like misinformation from your nurse!

You can have hRT at any time - you don't need to be 1 year free from periods - in fact most of us take it before this stage.

Secondly if she is talking about the Mirena coil - this is a progestogen which acts both as a contraceptive and protection of the womb as part of HRT. In late peri-menopause it usually stops the bleeding and this is what stops cancer of thew womb! You coul dhave one of these fitted and then have oestrogen either as a gel or a patch and adjust the dose to suit you with no fear of cancer of the womb!

As for the doc saying wait until Marchc If you feel your synptoms warrant trying it now then you are entitled to have it - your doc is wrong to say you have to wait. The NICE Guidelines say you should be prescribed it if you want it and have menopausal symptoms, if there is no medical reason why you should not.

Re the natural route - I'm not sure what you mean - whether you mean just lifestyle changes? As I said it's important to do these anyway, but many of the remedies don't really work eg herbal things like Black Cohosh and can't be taken safely over a long period of time.

There is a section in the menu above about alternative treatments ( drop-down menus) and a section on the forum too.

The HRT I use is the most natural you can use delivered in the most natural way possible ie I take oestrogen ( as a patch so it goes in through the skin) and natural progesterone as a pessary - some take this orally but I use it vaginally. These substances are the same as the hormones we produce in our body and so are replacing what we have becomne deficient in if you see what I mean. I view this as more natural than some herbal remedies.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

PS Sorry for typos as haven't time to correct them as have to dash as working tonight!

Eve53

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »

That's all very interesting Hurdity, I didn't value some of the nurse other opinions, but you don't question them medically unless you know the answers. My Dr is female, with young children, but not a lot of knowledge about HRT as she agreed I had to be a year period free, otherwise if she put me on another HRT it would bring back a monthly period!! She's very attentive in other areas. I obviously need to read into it all more. Natural route is yes eating healthy, drinking loads of water, and supplements. I tried Wellsprings serenity natural progesterone cream. Is that the something like you use? I must sound very silly. I'll try and educate myself as much as I can. You'll obviously be hard at work by now, so I'll speak to you soon Hurdity Thank you very much.  :)x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »

Hi again Eve53

Well she was right about the period - but it isn't a real period as such. What she should have said is - as you are not post-menopausal ie have not been period-free for a year she would have to put you on cyclical HRT which indeed does produce a withdrawal bleed. The reason is the oestrogen in the HRT stimulates the womb lining just as in a normal period and this has to be shed. But - that is what the cyclical HRT is for - women in peri!

Once you are post-menopausal the continuous progestogen acts to keep the lining thin and eventually there is no bleeding - although there is often spotting and some bleeding initially for up to 6 months sometimes.

Some women are given the continuous combined type of HRT in late peri-menopause as you are, but it can sometimes lead to unpredictable bleeding as your own homronal cycle breaks through. However actually it is a better idea to start HRT with the type that gives a bleed. This is because some women don't get on with the synthetic progestogens used to shed the lining. In cyclical HRT they are only given for half the month ( the progestogens) so you can tell whether you are OK on the oestrogen only part and then if the progestogen affects you or not.

Hope I'm not confusing you!

There is a lot of information in the menus above on HRT - look at the Treatments tab.

re the serenity cream - the progesterone in this is not strong enough to keep the lining thin - there isn't a lot in it. Perhaps it can have a mild sedative effects but for help with flushes, mood and energy - only oestrogen replacement can help - and with that you need a stronger progestogen.

You don't sound silly at all!! I knew virtually nothing about it - menopause nor HRT -and only started reading about it when my flushes and sweats had got so bad and were not responding to Black Cohosh and diet - and this is 9 years ago now.

Hurdity x

Eve53

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »

Hi Hurdity and everyone else. I've only posted a few times, and I couldn't work out how to start a new topic. I have come here hoping its seen. I have changed my diet and exercise routine, but I had loads of night sweats last night and I'm getting worried it's just not all menopause related. I've been have a aching in the back of my throat, that gets worse the more I talk. No problems swallowing and my throats not sore just this strained feeling. I am also fed up with my limbs being so heavy and tired. I had to sit down after a shower and putting the washing on. I'm just worrying as been other family health problems to deal with, and I always go to the worse scenario. Thank you ladies. Hope it reaches someone :-\Xx 

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »

Hi Eve

Did you say you were getting the throat thing checked out? Sounds like this is a good idea as it's not especially a menopause related symptom as far as I know ( although there are all sorts that seem to pop up from time to time!).

Re the tiredness/heavy limbs - have you had other blood tests to look at a possible cause eg thyroid ( which if underactive also causes weight gain and feeling the cold), or deficiencies such as iron and some vitamins. Many of us feel tired at this time of year but important at least to get tested.

If your periods are still absent then you should start HRT as soon as possible (if this is what you want to do) and will make you feel heaps better as long as you find the right product. You will have to have a withdrawal bleed at first as I said but this is a small pruice to pay for feeling better.

Do work out what you want to say and go back and make an appointment with a doctor ( not nurse) at your practice whom the reception tell you understand menopause and HRT. It is your right to have this if you are peri-menopausal and having symptoms and not medically contra-indicated - I can't stress this enough. The recent NICE Guidelines say so.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Hurdity x

Eve53

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity. I found the way to start a new topic, so I've written this somewhere else!! My doctor looked at my throat a month ago, said not much to see, just bit red. Thought I'd just had a cold. I'd had a bug that family had that left us tired, so I thought that was it. I'm going to ask for more thyroid test next week. I'll talk to her about HRT too, although I haven't decided what to do about it. I suppose reading up about it before I see her might help. Thanks again for getting back to me. Xx