Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can you use Utrogestan continuously in peri?  (Read 10061 times)

momlet

Can you use Utrogestan continuously in peri?
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »

Hi,

I am currently using Utrogestan cyclically (2 months in) with 0.5mg - 1mg sandrena gel and was wondering if you can use 100mg continuosly if still in peri?

Im 50 and having periods when starting HRT.  I know many find taking utro continuously good for anxiety.  Im trying to find right dose of gel at the moment too, as 0.5mg isnt enough but 1mg is feeling too high.  Think i will go on oestrogel to self adjust dose but was wondering if there are problems with continuous programme when not yet through menopause?

My GP is quite clueless about HRT so no help there.  I trust the advice i have seen on here far more!

Steph x

Kathleen

Re: Can you use Utrogestan continuously in peri?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »

Hello momlet and welcome to the forum.

Your post caught my eye because I used Utrogestan in the past but can't remember how it affected my anxiety and I plan to dig out my old diaries to see if I recorded how I felt when taking it.

My situation is different to yours as I am post meno but hopefully I can come up with something useful.

Wishing you well and I'm sure other ladies will be along to advise you on the questions you raised.

Take care.

K.

momlet

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »

Thank you Kathleen.  :)

I'm happy taking it cyclically at the moment, but anything that can curb the jitters that occasionally push through would be welcome.  Plus I still have insomnia - not as bad as it was - but the good sleep Utrogestan brings would be a blessing! 

I think using continuous HRT methods means I don't get a period, which is probably why I have to be post Meno to take it. 

I love this forum, it's very positive and supportive. Wish I'd found it years ago!

Steph (momlet) X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

The point is if you used utrogestan continuously then you could get unpredictable bleeding as it wouldn't work to prevent the bleed - your own hormones would override until you were late peri-meno.

However some women who bleed heavily or who find the prog calming are advised to go for longer than the 12-14 days of utro - some are prescribed the semi-continuous dose of 100 mg for 25 out of 28 which is the licensed post-meno dose. This could work to limit the bleed and even out the fluctuations of both hormones.

Many of us find that the build of up progesterone over longer than 12-14 days gives us a foggy head/fatigue and general lethargy and low mood - but it seems not all women react like this :)

Hurdity x

momlet

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 01:18:04 AM »

Think I'll stick to using it sequentially for the moment. Just liked the idea of sedation, insomnia still a bit of a problem (she says watching Family Guy at 1.20am).

Steph x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

momlet - having electrical equipment in the bedroom is not good - there are websites which advice about helping insomnia and they advice that the light from screens will prevent you from falling asleep.
Try googling 'insomnia' and browse some of the sites to pick up some hints and tips.
I take Utro continuously but still have problems falling asleep sometimes and usually wake at 4am but with the right strategies usually fall back to sleep again.  When I didn't have HRT the sweats and horrible creeping sensations through my body kept waking me all the time and I never got any good rem sleep so ended up exhausted. Maintain a good bedtime regime and have the room really dark with no electrical equipment and see if that helps.  DG x

momlet

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »

Hi DG, i was down in my lounge watching tv because i get so fed up lying in my darkened room (with black out curtains!) trying not to wake my husband while i try to drop off.  I wouldnt have a tv in my bedroom because i like to keep it as a place for sleeping but no such luck on that front at the moment.  I cut out caffeine years ago, and before menopause had no problems at all sleeping.  Its not hot flushes either its just feeling wired.  I put the gel on first thing so shouldnt be an oestrogen rush.  Im just wide awake.  Ho hum. I might try utro orally to see if that works.  I didnt have this on Climagest but the racing heart/catching breath scared me into changing to transdermal methods. Shame, because i even liked the norethisterone part!
S momlet x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »

momlet - I'd definitely try Utro orally as it can help you to fall asleep. Last week I tried using Utro vaginally and actually lost that feeling of wellbeing I get with Utro. 2 days back on Utro orally and feel better again and sleeping better. It's so horrible not being able to sleep - I know how it feels.  I'd try using the oestrogen at night as well because I think it can help.  I sometimes take a Nytol if I get a series of bad nights and it often helps.
I do hope things settle soon. DG x

momlet

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 11:00:19 PM »

Thanks DG, I think I'll give the Utrogestan a go orally.  Due next round of prog next weekend so I'll do it then. Also will get myself a new bottle of Kalms!
X

Briony

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »

Momlet, when I took hrt previously, I took it sequentially, but hated the dip I got when I stopped the Utro. Although I am still in peri and only 43, if I were to take it again I would take 100mg for 25 days to avoid this dip. It's a less common route, though not unheard of. I think JediGirl and Nina have tried it - but I could be wrong? x

Nina

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »

Cooooooeeeeee  ;D

Briony

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »

Cooooooeeeeee  ;D

Did I get the right person?  ;D x

Nina

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »

Oh yes  :)

Trufflecat

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »

I am on it 25 days out of 28 and in peri. Only two months in but it seems(fingers crossed) to be OK so far

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »

Trufflecat....I have been prescribed the same as you, do you take it orally? Also do you get any side effects?
Pages: [1] 2