Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: norethisterone  (Read 4473 times)

hewitt13

norethisterone
« on: December 14, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

Hi all,
I was given norethisterone to take after a really flooding period when I ended up in A & E. Two weeks later saw a consultant who did a biopsy and ultrasound and told me to stop taking them after another week. He said my lining was thin so should have a light period. Well over the weekend I've had the period from hell. Flooding again but the worse pains ever, even worse than childbirth. Stomach, back and down my thighs which I've never had before. Taking all kinds of painkillers which barely touch it. Anybody had similar?
Thanks,
Kim

toffeecushion

Re: norethisterone
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:37:16 PM »

I've never taken them, but was prescribed them.  My doctor said I could have a painful and heavy period when I stopped taking them.  So maybe normal.

Anjia

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »

I took these for a year before my hysterectomy they did work but if I stopped taking them for any reason my period was worse than ever. I was worried at the time about taking them for so long but my gp said it was fine.

BreadFruit

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

You say you take all kinds of painkillers.

I hope you are not taking Aspirin and aspirin based pain killers????
Their side effect is thinning of the blood and this will lead to flooding and major blood loss. That is why they are recommended for people who need thin blood for heart issues or blood clots.

Boots sell a tablet, (cannot remember the name) when taken a couple of days before the period will thicken the blood, which has a positive effect on the bleeding and the cramps.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »

Ibuprofen was recommended to me by my GP as it can help to slow bleeding apparently. Obviously not everyone can take it.

Do you mean Feminax Breadfruit?

Taz x

BreadFruit

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »

Any painkiller which has aspirin in it is bad for periods and those women that bleed heavily. They should be avoided.

Feminax seems to be OK. Its just Ibuprofen with some Lysine thrown in. Basic Stuff sold at a premium.

This is what helps with flooding during periods:
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Cyklo-F-Heavy-Period-Relief-500mg-Tablets-Tranexamic-Acid-18-Tablets-_1178972/
Remember its not a painkiller. But it does help. I used those for many years. You can get them on prescription as that is cheaper.