Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IBS  (Read 16893 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IBS
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »

Candy Floss - could you tell us where you read that info about goats' milk?   It is used World Wide for people with severe allergies as well as a replacement for cow products.  I don't like the taste of good products, it tastes like goats smell  ;D

Sparkle - do you buy the flaxseed already 'ground' - I tried grinding my own  ::) almost impossible!

Candy Floss

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

"A major source of lactose is milk, including cow's milk, goat's milk and sheep's milk. Depending on how mild or severe your lactose intolerance is, you may need to change the amount of milk in your diet."

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/lactose-intolerance/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Lactose intolerance is caused by the sugars in all milk.

I've tried to find where I read about soya milk being unsuitable for some people but I can't find that yet, I'll keep looking.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:30:36 PM by Candy Floss »

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »

Now I'm confused - not that it takes much to confuse me these days  ::)

"I've read that goats milk is as bad as cows. … '

I know that some people do find 'soya' milk difficult to digest, can 'go through' a bit too fast apparently  :o

Candy Floss

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »

Apparently an allergy is not the same as an intolerance.  If someone was allergic to cows milk they could have goats or sheep or buffalo and probably be OK.  But with lactose intolerance you just don't have the enzyme in your gut to process the sugar in any kind of milk - so it ferments in the gut causing bloating, flatulence, pain and diarrhoea.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:07:58 PM by Candy Floss »

Candy Floss

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »

I saw it for sale on the Holland & Barrett website and when I make my next shop with them I'm going to try it.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-super-lactase-enzyme-capsules-125mg-60004930

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:32:25 PM by Candy Floss »

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »

:thankyou: Candy Floss: I learns something new every day I does  ;D

wombat62

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »

According to my gut book, goats milk is supposed to be nearer human milk. I tried it after I eventually found some but it was full fat which meant I couldn't have enough to damped my muesli!

I normally have the lactose free milk anyway but another friend told me to stay off dairy milk. I'd already gone back to lactose free as I'd read soya wasn't good for the gallstones. I'm now trying rice milk, again had to find a low fat one but I may as well use water! It's got no flavour and looks like coloured water!

I save my milk allowance for my daily coffee! Luckily I've been okay with dairy and the stones.

Candy Floss

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »

I miss a proper cup of tea with milk - rice milk tastes better in coffee and not nice in tea.

Kathleen

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »

Hello ladies.

As you all probably know Linseed and Flaxseed are the same thing ( Americans say Flaxseed) and there are Brown and Golden types but the nutritional value is the same. The shell is so hard that they can pass straight through our digestive system so it's better to grind them first, I use a coffee grinder that has a spice attachment and any left over will keep in the fridge and stay fresh for weeks apparently.

I've been learning about the benefits of various seeds ( bet you can tell, lol) and Linseeds are one of the most beneficial plant foods on the planet!  I've started adding some to cereal and yogurt and really like the taste.

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »

Crikey - we have eversomany threads relating to this! so don't anyone suggest that it don't exist!

I feel like my period is due - the need to dash to the loo, strange feelings as I used to get when menstruating - but I haven't had a bleed for 12+ years!

Expect that my bowel is pressing on other nerves there which feels like a bleed.  This isn't the first time but my brain keeps saying 'look out'  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]