Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IBS  (Read 16892 times)

Briony

IBS
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »

I've been having on going issues with bloating, gas, abdominal cramps and constipation/runs. Seen doc a few times who thinks it could be acute IBS provoked by my disastrous experiment with Marvelon. He's given me a  medicated drink which tastes disgusting and hasn't helped, but said to go back for a scan if things don't improve soon.

Just wondered if anyone has had any luck with alternative IBS treatments? NICE says steer clear of reflexology, acupuncture and Aloe Vera  (doesn't say why) but doesn't mention the effectiveness of other treatments. Can anyone help? I take a good multi vit and eat a healthy diet. Has anyone had any luck with pre/pro biotics? Can you recommend any ?

Am in almost daily discomfort (top button been undone for weeks) so any advice appreciated, B x

BrightLight

Re: IBS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:40:11 AM »

Hi Briony - I am not sure, it's such a personal thing as to what triggers it.  I have suffered in the past with the top button scenario.  I used to drink warm water, when I felt bloated and cramped, sip it slowly or peppermint tea is also good.  I had to lie down sometimes and consciously relax what I could of my stomach, circular motions around my belly.  Posture was an issue for me I think, so anything you can do to improve that and your spine alignment will help I think, gentle stretches............everything gets tense which doesn't help.

Do you know if particular foods are also not helping?  If not, you could try adding more fibre.  Do you have a juicer?  That's a good way to do it, but can be a bit much for the stomach - oh gosh, I really feel for you, it's horrid.  I think a good yoghurt with live cultures is definately worth doing - the probiotics in that will be gentle and it's easy to buy and try.  eat that before you eat a meal, a little while before.

Hope you feel better soon x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »

I've had ibs since I was 14 after gastroenteritis at a time of trauma. I'm now 61. So I've tried lots of things through the years. I didn't know NICE says steer clear of reflexology. I wonder why. I loved it and though it didn't really help symptoms, I felt wonderful afterwards, which isn't a bad thing.

I did see a nutritionist, who came from a medical background and came highly recommended. I was in great distress after having to take a course of vicious antibiotics following cellulitis near my eyes. She helped to ease the symptoms and identify that I had temporally become intolerant to eggs and soya. But it was expensive. Complementary treatments may help one person and not another.

What has helped me is self awareness and being kind to myself. Accepting it is as it is and dealing with it. I used to get so angry with my digestive system, but after doing a course with a life coach, I understand my digestive system is on my side; it is doing its best and as the life coach said, doing a pretty damn good job at keeping me alive. When things aren't so good I talk to my tummy as if it were a distressed child! Sounds nuts, but it really helps!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »

Have a very bland diet for a week.  Grillled chicken with rice i.e..  Avoid spicy food stuffs.  Drink plenty.

Once you have opened your bowels so that you are comfortable try Actimel drinks several times daily.  I find that if I use these it keeps my bowel regular.  Eating little and often can keep the digestive tract moving - in 1998 mine had stopped almost completely and the GP prescribed Colpermin peppermint capsules: to ease upper gut wind : as well as Motillium to 'rush' food through …. it's an anti-sickness med which helps the gut.

After 3 days I felt well again.  Having had problems with the skirt zip for years, OK in the mornings but by mid-afternoon it was undone and I looked 5 months 'gone'  :-\ and eating/drinking was impossible due to the bloatedness = intense nausea.

Stress causes my gut to react so that I can't eat at all  :'(.  Then panic sets in ……..

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »

Hello Briony.

According to a study conducted by University College London the best probiotics are Symprove, VSL#3 and Actimel as these products survive the stomach acid and deliver sufficient numbers of bacteria to the bowel.
You may also want to think about adding fermented foods to your diet as since eating homemade Sauerkraut my wind issues have disappeared.
I wish you well, I've had IBS and Ulcerative Colitis in the past and I know how miserable it can be.
Take care.

K.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »

Drinking plenty is so important, regardless of what's wrong. I get a headache if I'm dehydrated. I avoid caffeine. Drinking enough paid off this week. I had a hysterectomy and repair done on Monday and only needed to stay one night! I drank reasonably as normally, not overdoing it and managed the required 3 wees, whethas the lady opposite, who said she felt she didn't drink enough, was unable to do that requirement in time. I have the tendency to get constipation, so I am very conscious what a difference it can make.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

The other product that I find useful when the gut is upset is LIVE (Greek) yoghurt - eaten often for 3-5 days usually eases symptoms. 

Briony

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »

Wow! Thank you so much for these great replies. They are really helpful and I will most certainly take your advice.

I havent changed anything in my diet and already eat loads of fruit and veg daily (life long vegetarian) so cant work out why I'm so bloated and constipated. I usually go twice a day but it's only been a few times a week for the past five weeks  :-\ This really, really worries me , yet GP wasnt that phased by it. I'm petrified it's something sinister (why do I always think the worst?). I wish there was a single test for IBS so I could then at least focus on remedies without googling things like ovarian cancer! (The pain is quite period-pain like, but GP thinks it's bowels).

I drink a lot every day, at least a drink an hour, but will definitely try more water rather than caffeine. I will also try the peppermint oil suggestion. CKLD - I took Motilium ages ago and it really helped my sickness at the time, but then I heard it was no longer available OTC because of links to heart issues? Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks again, all of you. Really appreciated, B    :)

For info:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg61/chapter/1-recommendations

Briony

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »

Ju Ju - so pleased to hear you're back home with the op behind you.  Are you feeling OK?

Absolutely!  :foryou:

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »

Hello again Briony.

There is a stool test that your GP can organise that measures a protein called Calprotectin  and this is being used to diagnose IBS as opposed to inflammatory bowel disease. I think you can arrange this privately for about twenty pounds.
Hope this helps and wishing you well.

Ju Ju  Glad you hear that you are doing well.

Best wishes everyone.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:49 PM »

I think Motillium was withdrawn.

Don't forget that fluids are taken in via food stuffs too …….

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »

I find camomile tea very soothing - 2 or 3 cups usually ease any flare ups.  Not a good idea to drink a lot of it long term as it can then cause irriation in excess, but a mugful a day would be fine or 3 or 4 as a one-off.

honorsmum

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

I have IBS and Crohn's and am under a gastroenterologist.
His recommendations for IBS are to eat golden linseed, take charcoal tablets, probiotics (but the jury is out on prebiotics, because nothing that is available to  buy comes anywhere near the strength used in lab tests) and try the FODMAP diet. He also suggests considering cutting out gluten and dairy.

The faecal calprotectin test, done in conjunction with a CRP blood test would give a pretty accurate diagnosis  of whether you actually have IBS or something else, like IBD. However, I don't think the calprotectin test is readily available at GP's surgeries.

Candy Floss

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »

I had bad stomach pains and diarrhoea all the time - had a scan that found gall stones - was in so much pain I was going to have surgery - then I read up on lactose intolerance and how we lose the hormones that make the enzyme that digests the milk - I cut out all milk and anything made from milk - the pain went - I cancelled the surgery - and that was about two years ago.  I still get bouts of diarrhoea but I think that's caused by hidden milk in some processed foods that get past the radar.  Sometimes I cave in and have chocolate and I'm not well after.

Candy Floss

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »

I've read that goats milk is as bad as cows.  From what I can make out you can be fine with milk all your life then when you reach menopause you stop creating the hormones that make the enzyme that digests milk - and so the milk actually ferments inside causing wind, diarrhoea and stomach pains.  I switched to soya milk and was still the same - then I read that soya can affect some people as well - now I have rice milk and my stomach is at least 80% better than it was.  I tried lacto-free dairy products but I was back at square one with them.  One of the things that made me check it out was yogurt - I'd have one then within about 2 hours I'd be making a mad dash to the toilet.  I've also found that if I make sure to have 5 a day fruit and veg my stomach improves as well.
Pages: [1] 2